Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

2006 Speyside festival accommodations/where to stay

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

2006 Speyside festival accommodations/where to stay

Postby bubba » Thu Jul 21, 2005 2:10 am

We are planning a much anticipated visit to the '06 Speyside festival. Any recommendations on where to stay, both town and/or inn? We are leaning towards staying in Dufftown as it appears to be the center of events. Not sure if Elgin or Rothes would be a better bet. Don't plan on having a car. What do you veterans of the festival recommend?

Warm regards,

Eric
bubba

Postby susywong » Mon Jul 25, 2005 4:23 pm

Hi Eric,

Having been to many a Speyside festival, and being a local (I grew up in Rothes) i would say that your best bet would be to stay in, or around Dufftown. There are obviously events in Elgin, Rothes, and Aberlour, but there are also buses that run periodically through the day that will take you to the other "hubs".

I agree that having a car is not the best of ideas, unless you take along someone who doesn't like whisky!

If you're not that bothered about a wee bit of travelling to, and from the different areas, i would recommend:

The Highlander Inn, Craigellachie...great pub, great ales, geat whiskies!!

Alternatively, if you go on to http://www.dufftown.co.uk and have a look at their festival website, there will be contact details for Fiona at The Whisky Shop. She is an absolute legend when it comes to Speyside Festivals. Speak to her, tell her that Susan from Douglas Laing said you should talk to her and she'll try and do her best for you!
....and after she's done that, she'll shout at me for giving her more work to do!! :D

Cheers
SUsan
susywong
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Jul 28, 2005 11:22 pm

To be in walking distance of the best events, stay in Dufftown.

Your car will be useless to you after the first session of the day.

I always stay in Dufftown when I'm there and I do any travelling in the morning. Be sure to follow Susan's recommendation and contact Fiona at the Whisky shop.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder