Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Fest NYC on 9 November

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whisky Fest NYC on 9 November

Postby MGillespie » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:15 pm

I know it's a competitor to Whisky Live events, but since there are six months between the two, figured this would be worth mentioning.

Whisky Fest is scheduled for 9 November at the Marriott Marquis in New York City...now's the time to start making plans if you're thinking of coming.

Might be fun to get some of the people who frequent this forum together in one place...at least those of us who can't make it to Scotland!

Details at http://www.maltadvocate.com...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby posterboy » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:32 pm

I attended this event last year. Overall, it was pretty good and had a decent range of distilleries. They also let you taste an unlimited number of whiskies for a single price (none of this book-of-tickets nonsense). My only complaint was that it was very, very crowded. People were packed three deep around the tables in in the early part fo the evening. Still, it had a good range (including a large number of Bourbons).
posterboy

Postby MGillespie » Fri Jul 22, 2005 2:35 pm

I agree...and they're taking some steps to cut down on the overcrowding this year, including a reduction in the overall number of tickets to be sold.

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Fri Oct 07, 2005 7:05 pm

For those planning to come to WhiskyFest, anyone up for dinner beforehand?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby bernstein » Sun Oct 09, 2005 12:39 pm

MGillespie wrote:For those planning to come to WhiskyFest, anyone up for dinner beforehand?

Mark

Sounds tempting, Mark! Where exactly is this "NYC" you're talking about?

:wink:
bernstein
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:50 pm

Just wanted to revive this thread...anyone else coming?

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Tue Nov 01, 2005 2:14 am

Hi Mark,
If the 2005 Spirit of Toronto wasn't scheduled on November 5, I may have seriously considered attending the WhiskyFest in NYC. Have a great time and I look forward to hearing your thoughts on the event.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:48 pm

And if Whisky Fest wasn't scheduled on the 9th...I would have seriously considered attending the Spirit of Toronto event, too...

Seriously...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby patrick dicaprio » Wed Nov 02, 2005 2:33 pm

posterboy wrote:I attended this event last year. Overall, it was pretty good and had a decent range of distilleries. They also let you taste an unlimited number of whiskies for a single price (none of this book-of-tickets nonsense). My only complaint was that it was very, very crowded. People were packed three deep around the tables in in the early part fo the evening. Still, it had a good range (including a large number of Bourbons).

i think they decreased ticket sales by 10%. i will be there also, cant pass it up. maybe i will run into you guys. one thing that is annoying is the fact that there arent nearly enough tables for eating, but hopefully that will be different this year.

Pat
patrick dicaprio
Silver Member

Postby posterboy » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:01 pm

I'll be there. I bought tix a while ago, and it's a good thing -- I checked the website yesterday and it's sold out.

It looks like there should be an even better selection this year, especially with the inclusion of certain distilleries (e.g., Springbank) who were not there last year. The website also mentions that there will be surprises from Bruichladdich, which makes me wonder if they're going to have their Rocks, Infinity or other unusual expressions.
posterboy

Postby MGillespie » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:58 pm

patrick dicaprio wrote:i think they decreased ticket sales by 10%. i will be there also, cant pass it up. maybe i will run into you guys. one thing that is annoying is the fact that there arent nearly enough tables for eating, but hopefully that will be different this year.

Pat

I noticed that last year as well...I plan on eating a healthy dinner beforehand so that I don't rely on grazing at the buffet tables. That was my biggest mistake of the night last year...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby chill » Tue Jan 03, 2006 7:02 pm

So how was this event? Better than the year before?

Best part? Worst part? Would you recommend it to someone (ok, me) who has never been before?

Interested to hear from anyone who attended.

Thanks,
Chris
chill

Postby MGillespie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:04 pm

The event was better than last year because they reduced the number of available tickets...which made it easier to get to the booths. The number of companies was about the same as before, with a few newcomers replacing those who didn't show.

Personally, I think it's well worth it...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder