Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

POURS tasting Thursday 10th July Edinburgh

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

POURS tasting Thursday 10th July Edinburgh

Postby jmrl » Thu Jul 03, 2014 10:32 pm

Well from last week's tasting the Miltonduff, if not universally appreciated, went down very well, The Glen Keith, actually 29yo, was even more popular, the Woodford Reserve was a deal more than fine, classy stuff but maybe higher strength might have helped on the night but 45% is grand for a casual Bourbon while watching the telly etc, the private Arran was a stormer and the Feis Ile Bowmore didn't disappoint.

So next Thursday's tasting is up in the air - the new Cadenheads bottling program is under way in Campbeltown but it is not yet clear that all will be ready for arrival on Wednesday, if not it will be the Friday - too late. Also I've not tried any of the new bottlings so what sounds good on paper might not produce the goods as required for the shortlist of five so:-

Plan A - everything arrives and is up to snuff:-

Glen Mhor 31yo 1982 52.9%

Glenfarclas 41yo 1973 52.5%

Mortlach 25yo 1988 56.8% Sherry cask

Heaven Hill 17yo 58%

Ardbeg 20yo 1993 55.9%

Sorry but £40 a ticket.

PLAN B - nothing arrives in time or some/all contenders are not of the manner in which we have become accustomed.

The pick of the bunch fit for purpose with perhaps:-

Spirit of Freedom 30yo 46% blend

Glenfarclas 105 - yet to be poured at one of the Canongate tastings, quite an oversight.

A Bourbon - Noah's Mill perhaps

A cask strength anonymous Islay single malt

perhaps something from the latest small batch release - a Tamdhu 22yo is likely.

£20

Confirmation forthcoming but as usual 7.30pm at The Kilderkin.

Anybody needing to contact me via mobile phone please use 07548753333 as my normal number was compromised by the Union canal.
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: POURS tasting Thursday 10th July Edinburgh

Postby jmrl » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:17 pm

Frustratingly the bottling is complete but due to 'technical difficulties' it is uncertain when it will arrive in Edinburgh - either Wednesday, Thursday or Friday. Hopefully I'll know tomorrow or Tuesday.

A few more details about Plan B:-

The Spirit of Freedom 30yo has arrived, it is a bottling of 2014 bottles to mark the 700th anniversary of Bannockburn. I've tasted it and am very happy. £75 a bottle if anybody interested in the retail point of a limited edition 30yo 46% blend - pretty attractively priced when one considers the general cost of whisky and particularly heavily branded aged blends. 75% malt from 5 distilleries. I expect it is available in the usual speciality whisky stores in the UK - not sure about world wide distribution though.

The Glenfarcles 105 is 60% if you didn't know.

I forgot there is a new-ish Springbank Society bottling - to commemorate they're 10th anniversary. It's a local barley 14yo refill sherry butt (pretty dark) September 1999 to April 2014 14yo 57.8% 546 bottles.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Tue Jul 08, 2014 2:10 pm

The stock left Campbeltown yesterday, barring highway robbery/unplanned off roading by the courier it should be here tomorrow. Phase one underway. Phase two - does it taste any good? should be completed tomorrow....
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:42 pm

Stock arrived - so far so good....
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:52 pm

All good, PLAN A from outer Argyll works, a few more details:

Ardbeg Bourbon hogshead 186 bottles, typical ( = good example)

Glen Mhor Bourbon hogshead 186 bottles, slow burner, delivers the goods, only old whisky tastes like this

Glenfarclas Bourbon hogshead 186 bottle (coincidence/conspiracy?) Glenfarclas out of Bourbon casks are so different from the sherried style, this was caught just in time, some folk will be left scratching their head I imagine.

Mortlach Sherry CASK maybe not the big boned Dufftown stalwart I was hoping for but the last three casks Cadenheads have bottled have been cut from this same cloth and very popular, still like it though.

Heaven Hill Barrel 126 bottles surprisingly mellow, really elegant, not like some of the impressive bruisers we've recently had, a different rye/wheat recipe?
jmrl
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder