Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Victoria Whiskyfest - Show of Hands, please

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Victoria Whiskyfest - Show of Hands, please

Postby Badmonkey » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:56 am

I'm just curious to know who among us will be attending the Victoria Whisky Festival next month and which, if any, masterclasses and tastings you will attend.

The Badmonkey will be at the following:

Jim Murray Tasting
Talisker 2
Buffalo Trace
Consumer Tasting
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:13 am

Hi Chris - to confirm, I'll be there - along with a handful (6 ~ 7) members of the West Coast Whisky Society... I'm in for:

Jim Murray Tasting (Friday night)

then Saturday:

Bruichladdich
Talisker 1
Murray McDavid
SMWS

Consumer Tasting

:D :D :D :D :D :D

'Looking forward to meeting you (and other Forumners) there...

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 6:37 am

Ron and I will be there. We're in for the Murray tasting, but decided to pass on masterclasses--it's our first event of this kind, and it seemed a bit too much for us, although I'm sure they are the best part. We want to do some sightseeing, as well. All whisky and no play make Jack a sick boy.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:24 am

All that way for a Whisky Festival and you're planning on sightseeing???

I hope you are also in for the Consumer Tasting on Saturday evening.

There are a few touristy things to do & see in Victoria - even in January. I'm sure Lawrence has a few ideas for you.

If not - there's the Linda McCartney's Sixties: Portrait of an Era at the Royal BC Museum:

http://www.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/visit/li ... index.html

And at the same time:

Easy Rider – Sixties Motorcycle Weekend
Saturday, January 21 and Sunday, January 22, 2006
Included with Museum admission.
Saddle up to more than 20 classic Sixties motorcycles, including English, American and Japanese models.

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:24 am

WestVanDave wrote:All that way for a Whisky Festival and you're planning on sightseeing???

All that way to Victoria and you're planning on doing nothing but whisky? :wink:

WestVanDave wrote:I hope you are also in for the Consumer Tasting on Saturday evening.

Well duh! :P

Actually, I've been to Victoria before, but not for ten years or so. I'm most looking forward to revisiting the First Nations (them's Injuns to us Yanks) exhibits at the museum. I'm in BC, I want to see BC stuff. The McCartney exhibit will probably be worth a quick run-through, and maybe a peek at the bikes. I own a Gold Wing myself (hardly ridden the past three years), but I'm not really a machine freak. If they have a Vincent Black Lightning, though, I'll be impressed.
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:41 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:All that way to Victoria and you're planning on doing nothing but whisky? :wink:

I get to Victoria 6 or 7 times a year - and never tire of the float plane or HeliJet flight over... gotta love those Gulf Islands too... but lately I've been getting my fair share of whisky in the mix (thanks Lawrence!!!).

If you've got any time in Vancouver you might want to check out the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology...

http://www.moa.ubc.ca/ 8) 8) 8)

Add on a day or two and you can attend the Jim Murray Tasting event being put on as a FundRaiser for the Architectural Institute of BC Foundation - on the eve of Robbie Burns Day (Jan. 24th) in Vancouver. 8)

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:54 pm

I'll be there for everything! :P
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:22 pm

WestVanDave wrote:If you've got any time in Vancouver you might want to check out the University of British Columbia's Museum of Anthropology...

Been a while since I've done that, too. (Or Wreck Beach, either. :oops: ) But no Vancouver this trip, unless I can talk Ron into a side trip. Don't really have time, anyway, and will be home by the 23rd.
Deactivated Member

Postby Badmonkey » Fri Dec 23, 2005 4:25 am

It would be a shame to go all the way out to Victoria and not see a few sights. I hope to spend Sunday just walking around and letting the alcohol evaporate from my system. It's a solo trip for me, so I'm free to go wherever my legs will take me.
Badmonkey
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Dec 23, 2005 7:38 am

Badmonkey wrote: It's a solo trip for me, so I'm free to go wherever my legs will take me.

Then I wouldn't recommend the whale watching... :wink:

Cheers, Dave.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby CanadianThistle » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:32 pm

I've only just heard about the Victoria event and sadly will be unable to attend. I look forward however to being there in 2008.

Cheers everybody,
Al from Winnipeg
CanadianThistle

Postby Wendy » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:04 am

Hello Al,
The VWF tickets sell out in record speed, so I would encourage you to register on the 2008 Early Ticket Notification which can be found on the Victoria Whisky Festival website. I attended last year's festival and will be attending this year's which I am really looking forward to.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:11 pm

Good idea, Wendy. We certainly can't count on that sluggard Lawrence to give us sufficient advance notice here!

On the subject, a couple of us have discussed the possibilty of a forumites' brunch on the Saturday, or maybe dinner. Any ideas, all?
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:22 pm

This sounds like a good time, is the festival and tastings enough to make the trip? The masterclasses and presentations seem to be almost full.

Input would be welcome.

Thanks Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:42 pm

All sold out but for a couple of masterclasses.

When did that Sunday night dinner go up? :?
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Dec 20, 2006 6:59 am

Is it an open forum for the tasting where you pay a fee for the day or weekend or do you need to sign up for everything individually. I've been to a couple whisky live's in europe where the classes where in addition to the open tastings. I did see that there is a Sat tasting you signed up for is this the actual open tasting?
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi Len,
Tickets for the Saturday evening Consumer Tasting (open tasting - voucher free zone) are sold separately from the Saturday afternoon Masterclasses. But, in order to purchase tickets for the Masterclasses, you must already have purchased a ticket to attend the Consumer Tasting.

On the VWF website, most events have been sold out including the main event, The Consumer Tasting, since November. If you want to attend, I think you should first contact Lawrence.

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Wed Dec 20, 2006 3:05 pm

Thanks Wendy, I will contact him and see if anything has opened up or anyone has dropped out.

Thanks Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:29 pm

Well, it is official...my flight is booked and no chance to back out! 8) I am really looking forward to attending the Victoria Whisky Festival at the end of the month and reuniting with friends and hopefully meeting a couple of other new faces from the forum. Let the fun begin...

Kind regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:04 am

Well I need to thank Lawrence, I have a full day of tickets for sat set up and I just booked a flight for the weekend.

It looks like I will actually get a chance to meet some of the individuals on the forum and I can't wait. I know alot of enthusiasts on the other side of the big pond but not too many here and this should be alot of fun.

Looking forward to see some of you in a couple weeks.

Len
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:24 pm

Wonderful, it's all coming together very nicely, another 10,000 minor details and then we're all set. :D

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:31 pm

You did call the vendors, didn't you?
Deactivated Member

Postby lbacha » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:52 pm

I hear it is better if you wait till the last minute, it gives them less time to say no!
lbacha
Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Wed Jan 10, 2007 4:10 am

Hi Len,
That is GREAT news...there should be at least 6 of us to help roll out the red carpet for you! You won't be disappointed, Lawrence and gang put on a wonderful festival.

See you soon,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 1:09 am

I'm looking forward to seeing some of the forum members I met last year and making a few new acquaintances. I appreciate all the time and effort you put into this, Lawrence. I'm excited about it and the next two weeks will put quite a strain on my patience as I count down the days!

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sat Jan 13, 2007 3:10 am

Thanks Ron, I'm looking forward to seeing everybody also, we're working out the final details, the list of whiskies has passed 110 so it should be a lot of fun. The masterclasses are very impressive and we're very pleased with the industry support.

Lawrence

Ron and Wendy I'll leave your tickets at the front desk of the Hotel.

Mr. T yours will be at the bottom of the harbour awaiting collection. (Just kidding).
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby rthomson » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:50 am

Sure thing, I'll pick them up at the desk. Thanks.

Mr. T- Keep your eyes open for geoducks while you're scraping the bottom of the harbour, they're worth a fortune :lol:
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:30 am

I expect Victoria harbour geoducks are very gooey indeed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Cam » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:36 pm

I'll be there as well doing the Whyte & MacKay tasting on friday evening.

Master classes: Ardbeg & Glenmorangie
Murray McDavid
Isle of Arran

as well as the Saturday evening Consumer tasting (this one being accompanied by my better half)

Would be nice to take in some after hour 'Master Classes' with those from this forum.

Cam
Cam

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:24 am

I'll be there - along with some of the West Coast Whisky Society's finest... (I believe we have 8 members attending) unfortunately I could only wrangle the Saturday's events this year - so I will be at the following Masterclasses:

Ardbeg/Glenmorangie
Classic Malts I
Scotch Malt Whisky Society

followed by the Consumer Tasting...

hopefully followed by one or more of the "After Hours Masterclasses" as suggested by Cam...

I'll be the guy with the silly grin on my face...

:wink:

(The one without the geoducks!!!)

The grin will be partly whisky-inspired - but mostly inspired by the reunion of all of those fine Forum friends met last year: Wendy, Mr. T., Ron and Badmonkey (Craig) ... the new friends this year... and Sir Lawrence himself & his gang of Whisky Festival volunteers who do a great job putting on this Festival & raising $$$'s for a worthy cause. Hats off and bottoms up...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:43 am

As I have suggested previously, I'm about whiskied-out after an evening's events, and hanker after a good pint. I hope some of you will join me at Swan's for some relaxed socializing.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:51 pm

Whiskied OUT!!!!???? The evening will just be starting, especially with the rumour of a Japanese whisky tasting in one of the rooms......

Swans is nice though.......
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:36 pm

Having witnessed Mr. T. post-whisky Fest last year - slumbering in a comfy chair while Jim Murray and a few of us sat around creating a vatting and pontificating ad nauseum - we competed with an ever increasing snore from the aforementioned T-man; I would warn Swan's to put the kettle on and to plump up the pillows...

For those in search of a great start on Sunday - please join Mr. T at Swan's - as no doubt he will wake up there, glass in hand - oblivious to what he missed and in fully recharged - ready to carry on... as demonstrated by his 5440+ posts here and his spirit for adventure (being the world traveller that he is)...

(I'm bringing my camera...).
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Wendy » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:16 pm

WestVanDave wrote:Having witnessed Mr. T. post-whisky Fest last year - slumbering in a comfy chair while Jim Murray and a few of us sat around creating a vatting and pontificating ad nauseum - we competed with an ever increasing snore from the aforementioned T-man; I would warn Swan's to put the kettle on and to plump up the pillows...

For those in search of a great start on Sunday - please join Mr. T at Swan's - as no doubt he will wake up there, glass in hand - oblivious to what he missed and in fully recharged - ready to carry on... as demonstrated by his 5440+ posts here and his spirit for adventure (being the world traveller that he is)...

(I'm bringing my camera...).

:lol: - Dave, I think you have described a "Swan Dive." I am sure Mr TH will catch his second wind before the night is done!

Lawrence-san,
I think we have our ear to the same pipe line...

See you soon,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:41 pm

Wendy wrote:
:lol: - Dave, I think you have described a "Swan Dive." I am sure Mr TH will catch his second wind before the night is done!

Lawrence-san,
I think we have our ear to the same pipe line...

See you soon,
Wendy

While "the night is done" rhymes with "the night is young... " Mr. T ain't - and he'll be on East Coast time... but I wish him well... :wink:

Truthfully - if he wasn't such a teasible guy I wouldn't dare imply that he wouldn't be up for the challenge...

As for Japanese Whisky - we had a surprise at a recent tasting - a Suntory - Hokuto 12 year old that was very enjoyable - and, as a result, may be finding it's way to the festival by way of this secretive pipe line... fingers crossed.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Next

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder