Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

SMWS Extravaganza - Seattle

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

SMWS Extravaganza - Seattle

Postby rthomson » Wed Mar 01, 2006 7:32 pm

Is anyone attending?

It's scheduled for March 31 and to be held at The Rainier Club in downtown Seattle. When I spoke with SMWS to reserve my ticket they said there will be over 80 malts and that they're expecting 550+ people. Although that might mean some longer lines, it's nice to know that there are so many whisky enthusiasts in the region.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Photon » Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:34 am

Ron,

I really debated going. This is as close as an event like this will get to me. But I just can't justify it at this time. :( Maybe next year (or Victoria next year).

On the plus side, the Mariners play an exhibition that night in Portland and I'm taking my 3 year old. He's much more interested in baseball than whisky.

-P.
Photon
Bronze Member

Postby rthomson » Tue Mar 07, 2006 9:02 pm

Have fun at the game! I'm sure your son will love it! I enjoy watching the Mariners play but at heart I'll always be a Red Sox fan as I lived in Massachusetts for most of my life. The Red Sox play the Mariners in Seattle in July and August, if I remember the schedule correctly. Wouldn't it be nice if ballparks offered a decent malts selection so they could be enjoyed with the game.

I really had to debate attending as well. I'll likely join the SMWS and this will be a good chance to talk with them a little further.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby rthomson » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:17 pm

The event was held last night and it was quite nice. It was heavily attended and I think the 500+ I was told to expect was a conservative estimate. The site was large enough to handle the crowd and it was a fun evening. I never got a final count but there was more than 80 whiskies to try, including the unannounced Laphroaig 30yo. I did join the SMWS and it should be a good resource in an area that has limited single malts available.

The SMWS has scheduled a second tasting on November 3.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:47 am

rthomson wrote:
The SMWS has scheduled a second tasting on November 3.

Ron

Thanks Ron - November 3rd could work... please keep us posted on details...I have Seattle in my sights.
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Apr 02, 2006 4:59 pm

Yes, I will mot likely be in attendance also, Bad Monkey how about you?
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder