Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

MACKMYRA SWEDISH WHISKY TASTING IN BERGEN, NORWAY

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

MACKMYRA SWEDISH WHISKY TASTING IN BERGEN, NORWAY

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:42 am

You'll find a nice rating and a warm "Welcome to the gang Mackmyra!" in the latest whisky magazine!
Come to Bergen, Norway if you can't make it to Sweden, where it sold out quickly, as it did at the Royal Mile Whiskies, "the first in the world to sell it!"
Altona in Bergen, Norway, (one of the "Great Whisky Bars of the World") will host the first open tasting of MACKMYRA SWEDISH WHISKY in Norway on thursday and friday the 27th and 28th of April at 7pm, cost 300NOK.
Come meet Angela Forsgren D'Orazio, whisky consultant for Mackmyra, and learn about this first bottling of Mackmyra from the first succesful Swedish whisky distillery!
Altona is looking forward to meeting you, and enjoying Mackmyra Swedish Whisky. Hope to see you there!
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:16 am

Great news Jonathan, I'll be there but then you knew that :wink:

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:11 pm

And who else??
Bergen is lovely in April, yet another reason to come enjoy the tasting! Make it a weekend of whisky and sightseeing!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Apr 25, 2006 9:22 pm

The Mackmyra Swedish Whisky has safely arrived in Bergen, ready to be tasted this Thurs and Fri the 27th and 28th with Angela Forsgren D'Orazio! Whose names shall I add to the list?? It's the first open tasting in Norway, of the first Swedish Whisky produced. Preludium: 01 is the only one bottled, the rest we'll taste are straight from the cask and shipped to Altona just for these 2 very special nights! Looking forward to seeing you there!
Di Blasi

Mackmyra Swedish Whisky Tasting

Postby Wendy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:37 am

Di Blasi and Christian,
I trust that Bergen is beautiful in April and wish that I could add my name to the list of attendees! Instead, I will look forward to hearing about your grand Swedish tasting event at the Altona.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Mackmyra Swedish Whisky Tasting

Postby Wendy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:37 am

Di Blasi and Christian,
I trust that Bergen is beautiful in April and wish that I could add my name to the list of attendees! Instead, I will look forward to hearing about your grand Swedish tasting event at the Altona.
Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:53 am

Wow - two Wendy's... this forum just keeps getting better!!! :wink:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby SpiritofShetland » Wed Apr 26, 2006 6:31 am

Can't get to Bergen this time, but I'll try to pop by Altona the next time I'm in town Jonathan.
SpiritofShetland
Silver Member

Re: Mackmyra Swedish Whisky Tasting

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:23 pm

Wendy wrote:Di Blasi and Christian,
Cheers,
Wendy

Wish the two of you could be here too dear Wendies :P
I'll write a short resume of the tasting on Friday morning when the system is back to normal. I've never tasted such a young whisky so I'm really looking forward to it. They also use juniper which is a bit unusual to say the least.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Re: Mackmyra Swedish Whisky Tasting

Postby WestVanDave » Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:45 pm

[/quote]Wish the two of you could be here too dear Wendies :P
I'll write a short resume of the tasting on Friday morning when the system is back to normal. I've never tasted such a young whisky so I'm really looking forward to it. They also use juniper which is a bit unusual to say the least.

Christian[/quote]

Juniper??? Whisky Gin???

We have a local winery in BC (Oliver) - called Silver Sage. They make some very nice fruit wines and some other interesting combos, including a Sage infused white wine that marries beautifully with Turkey and another called The Flame - a dessert wine with a hot chili pepper in the bottle... Talk about finishes, etc....

Enjoy the Tasting Event - and raise a glass to the West if you can...
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:03 pm

I was also mildly puzzled by that but as it turns out they don't add it to the whisky but to the peat they use for the smoky version. But if they had wouldn't it be as you say a gin instead?

From Mackmyra site:

As a complement to Elegant, we wanted to produce a smoky variety. We experimented with various types of spice on a base of bog-moss peat. We soon found that juniper brush, which have given its distinctive flavour to smoked sausages and ham for centuries, was the best alternative here, too. A different and very distinctively Scandinavian smoky flavour.

http://www.mackmyra.com/en/reserve/options.asp

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wendy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 9:39 pm

Hi Christian,
That is really interesting that the distillery adds the juniper to the peat to create their smoky whisky expression. As you may know, certain types of Juniper (Red Cedar) are particularly fragrant and the extracted oil from the wood is used in perfumed soaps or essential oils (aromatherapy). If you have the chance to taste the smokey version, I look forward to reading your impression. Texture-wise, I am also wondering if it would have an oily/coating mouthfeel.

Cheers,
Wendy
(Thank you, friends, but for the record, my children who would be very relieved can attest that there is ONLY one of me!!) :wink:
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Mr Fjeld » Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:29 am

Not much of an impression on my behalf from last night I'm afraid. Last evening turned out to be a catastrophy with a troublesome stomach and I had to stay in bed :cry:

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Quick Recovery

Postby Wendy » Fri Apr 28, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi Christian,
I am sorry to hear that you felt unwell. Perhaps the distillery will have "forgotten" to pack a bottle or two and the Altona can give you post samples for good measure when you are feeling better.

Cheers to a quick recovery,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby parvus » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:23 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:Not much of an impression on my behalf from last night I'm afraid. Last evening turned out to be a catastrophy with a troublesome stomach and I had to stay in bed :cry:

Christian

Sorry to hear you missed this oppertunity Christian, but i'm sure you'll be able to give us a report on their next event. Get well soon!
parvus
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:20 pm

Last night went beautifully! The only things missing were you cheerful, curious and energetic folks! Especially you Christian, you were looking so forward to it, sorry you got sick! The whiskies were fantastic, each special in their own way. I prefer the smoky style Mackmyras, and the Bourbon aged was outstanding, out of this world! Somewhat similar to Very Young Ardbeg, after a few drops of water were added. And the smoky Swedish oak was also excellent. The Elegant style Mackmyras were also very nice. And at the young age they were taken from the cask, 1y and some days to 1y and 11 months or so, they prove themselves to be of of a high high standard! They're doing things right at Mackmyra! And the Preludium: 01, the only one bottled, with the interesting Juniper touch in the peat that's being discussed, is a fantastic 3-5y bottling. I look forward to their progressioin, building up to Preludium: 06, and to eventually get my own cask, which is what they specialize in! And you don't need to live in Sweden! Check the site for details...
http://www.mackmyra.com/
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:21 pm

How stupid of me to not mention the mastery of our hostess, Angela Forsgren D'Orazio!!! Truly a master at her art! Her experience and knowledge and comfortable and confident stance on Mackmyra and the world of whisky made it even more of a wonderful evening!! A real delight to meet and have with Altona to teach us about this wonderful new world class whisky, Mackmyra! The Preludium: 01, and the cask samples we were lucky to taste directly taken from the cask for us here in Bergen, aaaaahhhhhh!!! Gotta run, another wonderful tasting starting in 30 minutes! Oh, and buy a bottle when you find one in shops around Europe, and hopefully the rest of the world will also get the chance one day soon!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:21 am

Thanks for your nice words Wendy and Parvus - already feeling better :)

Edit/added: After briefly having nosed the four smokey whiskies I feel it's safe to proclaime these whiskies as very promising. The smoky sherry and the smoky bourbon was very very good and developed a whole lot in the glass. Too bad I couldn't drink any of the whiskies as I'm working.

Christian
Mr Fjeld

Postby Wendy » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:11 am

Hello Di Blasi,
You sound genuinely thrilled with the Mackmyra tastings at the Altona. I am glad it went so well and that you enjoyed the special opportunity to sample their whiskies. I remain intrigued by the juniper-peat influence on the whisky. Perhaps on Christian's next day off, he will have more to share with us on the subject. :wink:

Take care,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:27 am

WestVanDave wrote:Wow - two Wendy's... this forum just keeps getting better!!! :wink:

...And I say to myself, "What a Wendiful world!"

( :oops: Sorry, Wendy, I couldn't resist...I'll stop now.)
Deactivated Member

Postby WestVanDave » Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:01 am

MrTattieHeid wrote:
WestVanDave wrote:Wow - two Wendy's... this forum just keeps getting better!!! :wink:

...And I say to myself, "What a Wendiful world!"

( :oops: Sorry, Wendy, I couldn't resist...I'll stop now.)

...No you won't... :wink:
WestVanDave
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon May 01, 2006 3:32 pm

If folks out there are interested in tasting the Mackmyra Preludium: 01 in Norway, visit Altona in Bergen. If we can organize a group to taste the other wonderful Mackmyra cask samples, (there is some left), I'll be more than happy to host it here locally.
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder