Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Clancy's Tasting II

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Clancy's Tasting II

Postby Ganga » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:06 am

Another event at Clancy's is coming up. 8) November 2, 2006

Red Carpet and Clancy's Crab Broiler in Glendale will be presenting an evening with Jim McEwen of Bruichladdich. They will be tasting the following:

15, 2nd ed
20, 2nd ed "flirtation"
14, Old Turnburry Links Series
Yellow Submarine

Cost is $75 and includes dinner
Red Carpet's phone number is 818-247-5544
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:26 am

I have recently run two tastings in Munich which were both very successful.

Bruichladdich is one of my favourite "all round" distilleries and in the first tasting I started with the WMD II.

I started with the Links IV in my second tasting.

Both these drams were extremely well received and were very high on everyone's favourites list.
Deactivated Member

Postby Ganga » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:37 pm

Jim was in excellent form last night. He indicated that he will no longer be touring around as the ambassador for Bruichladdich. Instead, he will be concentrating on re-opening the Port Charlotte distillery.

We started the evening with "Rocks", an 8-yo that is perfect as an apertif.

Next, we had the 10 yo, soon to be gone for several years. It was as good as I remembered.

The third sampling was the WMD-II "The Yellow Submarine". Definitely a thumbs up for this whisky.

We followed this up with the 14-yo Links "Turnberry". Jim mentioned that this was a marraige of three different types of casks including a port cask.

The 15-yo, 2nd edition was next. Excellent! It fits well for any time. Jim mentioned it as one of his favorites.

The 20-yo, 2nd edition followed and was the hallmark of the event. Definitely a well balanced dram.

To close the tasting we had the 3D Peat, 2nd edition "Moine Mhor". Peaty, peaty, peaty.

An enjoyable time was had by all. And now to await the signed bottles to be delivered. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:17 pm

Did you end up standing on the table, saying obscene things in Gaelic?

I was really sorry the lad was not in residence when I was in Islay, but I'm glad to hear that I will have a better chance of seeing him around Port Charlotte in the future. I still haven't asked him why he wants to beat Nick up!
Deactivated Member

Just wondering.....

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:25 pm

Was Jim less than complimentary about any of the other Islay distilleries. I have it on good authority that he has been slgging off another of the Islay distilleries. Mind you in my experience this seems to be something I have encountered more than once...
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:43 pm

To answer the questions,

Yes, we stood on the table and yelled aggressive things in Gaelic.

Jim was not derogatory of any distillery...in Scotland...and wasn't specific about the Irish distilleries...something I found common among the Scottish distillers. Jim complimented Bowmore, not surprising after 38 years of service there. He noted that Ardbeg is currently the most heavily peated but Lagavulin is the smokiest. At least until the release of the "BEAST".
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:43 pm

I concur that there is a spirit of conviviality amongst distilleries, and Islay ones especially. I have heard John MacLellan of Bunnahabhain saying snide things about "the golden boys on Loch Indaal", but that's John MacLellan--he has no qualms about saying what he thinks, and I don't think anyone resents him for it. (He's not the only one who thinks that way, either.) I wouldn't be surprised at a little sniping back and forth now and then, but I'd find any kind of serious slagging off rather shocking. Mind you, McEwan is given to fits of hyperbole, which can easily be misunderstood. But on the whole, I think everyone in Islay realizes that a rising tide floods all warehouses. Or something like that.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:54 pm

Ganga wrote:To answer the questions,

Yes, we stood on the table and yelled aggressive things in Gaelic.

Jim was not derogatory of any distillery...in Scotland...and wasn't specific about the Irish distilleries...something I found common among the Scottish distillers. Jim complimented Bowmore, not surprising after 38 years of service there. He noted that Ardbeg is currently the most heavily peated but Lagavulin is the smokiest. At least until the release of the "BEAST".

I'd be interested to hear what he said about Irish whiskey, although maybe it was not meant to be repeated.

I think some involved with Bowmore are not too pleased with some things he has said, but I don't know the specifics, so I don't even know if it's true.

I know a group went to Islay recently and said Jim Mc was in great form and very entertaining.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:33 pm

"I'd be interested to hear what he said about Irish whiskey, although maybe it was not meant to be repeated."

Oh, the standard fare about the Irish triple distillation and still not getting it right. This seems to be a standard line for the Scottish distillers.

"I think some involved with Bowmore are not too pleased with some things he has said, but I don't know the specifics, so I don't even know if it's true."

That's interesting because I've seen him speak on several occasions and he has said nothing but good things about Bowmore. Now maybe there is a little tiff between the current owners/management of Bowmore and Jim but he certainly has not said anything negative about the product while I have been around.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Aidan » Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:25 am

I thought that might be it, alright. It is part of the Scottish distillers code. i think.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Nov 08, 2006 1:28 am

He'd hardly say anything bad about the product, since he made most of what is out there.
Deactivated Member

Postby Lawrence » Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:57 am

Jim gave a great tour of Bruichladdich this last August and the only people he seemed mad at were marketing types and those who have no regard for proper maturation. He mention one large company and said that they'd matur their whisky in plastic barrels if they could. He was in great form.

He dipped his finger into the running spirit in the spirit safe and made a cross on Nigels forehead and said "now go forth and spread the word of Bruichladdich!" I almost choked on mt glass of new make Port Charlotte I was laughing so hard. I don't think Nigel has washed his face since.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder