Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glasgows Whisky Club Christmas Dinner @ Glengoyne Distillery

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Glasgows Whisky Club Christmas Dinner @ Glengoyne Distillery

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:51 pm

Last night I was invited along with my fiancee for the GWC Christmas Dinner held at Glengoyne Distillery. Thanks to Bill McIntosh, secretary of the club for the invitation. We met up at The Pot Still and were bussed out to the distillery where we had a 4 course dinner with a different dram for each course.

1st course - Smoked Salmon (Glengoyne 10yo)
2nd Course - Venison Loin with seasonal vegetables and potatoes cooked in oatmeal (Glengoyne 17yo)
3rd Course - Sticky Toffee Pudding (Ewan's Choice Single Cask 441
19 Year Old Limited Edition 51.5%) £100 per bottle
4th Course - Selection of Scottish Cheeses and oatcakes (Glengoyne 21 yo)

The food was excellent and the company great. It was my first taste of Glengoyne and I liked all of them. My favourite was Ewans Choice 19 year old. This had spent 19 years in a Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon. This dram looked like sherry and was really rich and fruity like a christmas cake. Adding a tiny drop of water opened the nose and released the flavours even more.

We were all given a Glengoyne Single Cask Limited Edition 1990 (16 Years) 5cl (56.6%Vol) as well.

A great night was held by all and I'd like to thank Alec, Bill, Annette, Ken, Maggie, Rob, Andy and the others from the club along with all the staff at Glengoyne.
Last edited by Oiler_Kiwi99 on Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:04 pm

Sounds really delicious - both the food and the whisky!

I have only tasted the 17yo and I quite liked it - smooth and tasty. (It was at a party so thats the only impression I remember.)

Was there any great differences between the standard bottlings?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:52 pm

Jan wrote:Sounds really delicious - both the food and the whisky!

I have only tasted the 17yo and I quite liked it - smooth and tasty. (It was at a party so thats the only impression I remember.)

Was there any great differences between the standard bottlings?

I'm fairly new to whisky, only been drinking it for about 3 years now thanks to my lovely fiancee. I lack the confidence to describe them in any great detail.

The 19yo has spent it's entire life in a Pedro Ximenez Sherry Puncheon and did not have the characteristics of the other 3.

I would say that the all of the OB 10yo, 17yo & 21 yo has smooth long finishes. Not unpleasant aftertastes and neither of them needed any water.

The 10yo in my opinion would be a good dram to introduce to a newcomer to single malts. Nose is citrus like. Light and balanced taste with a good long finish.

The 17yo is lighter in the nose. Lighter in taste and smoother than the 10 again with a long finish but not as long as the 10yo

The 21yo is lighter in the nose again. Get a bit of caramel in this one IMO. Nice long finish.

Looking at the prices of these 3 in the distillery shop, 10yo £23.99, 17yo £35.99 & 21yo £46.99 I personally would say that the 10yo is the best value for money IMO.

My fiancee on the other hand has expensive taste and her favourite was the 21 yo :)
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Jan » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:54 pm

Oiler_Kiwi99 wrote:I'm fairly new to whisky, only been drinking it for about 3 years now thanks to my lovely fiancee. I lack the confidence to describe them in any great detail.

Why on earth do you lack confidence? 3 years is quite some time and your descriptions are fine - just what I was after.

None here is experts, (well, one or two exceptions perhaps...), just your virtual pub full of enthusiasts who like to talk all things whisky... :D

Oiler_Kiwi99 wrote:I personally would say that the 10yo is the best value for money IMO.

Cool - I will have to try it out sometime, thanks.

Oiler_Kiwi99 wrote:My fiancee on the other hand has expensive taste and her favourite was the 21 yo :)

She actually likes whisky ? :shock: You are a lucky man....
Jan
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun Dec 03, 2006 10:01 pm

Yes Oiler_Kiwi99 we all rabbit on here about this and that but at the end of the day we are no more educated than you so feel free to stick in you ideas, notes etc.

SOme people get really touchy about notes whether they are afraid to post their own or they think others are full of it ..... but at the end of the day it's all a bit of fun and the only reason we are here is a common interest and if you can help someone with your notes all the better. keep them comming thick and fast.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:57 am

everyones notes are going to be diffrent, diffrent folk have diffrent preferances etc.
whisky notes i feel are a personal thing and you should neve disagree with a persons notes as they will tell it diffrent from you, its like art, everyones sees it diffrently, if we all liked the same and had the same notes etc, there wouldnt be as many distilleries as there is...(or as many varieties of bruichladdich) :P
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 04, 2006 3:24 am

Gosh, I'll bet that was a great evening! We had a really nice Glengoyne dinner too here in Bergen back in mid-October with distillery manager Robbie and their Norwegian importer, Thomas with Strøm. It was a truly special and delicious evening!
And another Glengoyne dinner in Oslo the first weekend in November too, also a very special and delicious occasion, with Charles MacLean and Stuart Hendry doing an excellent job storytelling and entertaining in between courses!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:35 am

Nineteen years in PX! That must have been something.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Mon Dec 04, 2006 12:53 pm

MrTattieHeid wrote:Nineteen years in PX! That must have been something.

Yes, it's almost black, can hardly see through the clear colored glass! It's very good.
Di Blasi

Postby Onefortheditch » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 am

I was at the Glengoyne distillery a long time ago and it was good then. Glengoyne on my hitlist for both drinking and collecting.

And I looked in the window of the Pot Still, although I didn't have time to go in. Looks a good pub though and I'll be visiting it very soon. :)
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:22 am

Speaking of Glengoyne, I had their excellent 10y tonight, love that stuff. Malty, fruity, almost creamy.
And for sure check out the Pot Still next time in Glasgow, be ready to be overwhelmed!
Di Blasi

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder