Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The Edinburgh Whisky Festival

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

The Edinburgh Whisky Festival

Postby The Dazzler » Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:18 pm

Anyone hear much about the Edinburgh Whisky Festival to be held in the Assembly rooms on February 24th???

http://www.edinburghwhiskyfestival.com

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:30 pm

just gave them an email as to see whats on... should be fun
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:31 pm

Please do let us know when you get more info!
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:29 pm

will do.

£10 for a ticket £25 for a tasting ticket

5pm - 10pm
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:30 pm

thats just the info that was on the small page they have, ill post more when i get it.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:19 pm

Just looked at the website, isn't the background of whisky (ey) being poured over ice. Ah well here comes that whole thread on blends again! But surely this festival is more focused on single malts.

ah well never mind i'm just trying to be picky.
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:16 pm

Would have been a nice night away but there's a six nations match on that afternoon at Murrayfield and the usual places we stay are booked up !
:(
Shame it wasn't the week before or the week after.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:30 pm

Can't say for sure Spirit of Islay, but I reckon thats why the organisers of this event chose this particular weekend - because of the rugby. They are guaranteed a busy Edinburgh that day. Seems a strange time of day to me to run a whisky festival, 5pm - 10pm. Hope it works well for them though
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:00 am

I sent them an e-mail yesterday and received this response:

'The £10 ticket gets you general admission to the festival with a great range of whisky companies there plus very good live entertainment and a great whisky cocktail bar, the £25 ticket gets you general admission and entry to the workshops.

We have whisky companies from around the world from Highland Park in Scotland to Suntory from Japan attending and some fantastic entertainment.

The Whisky Workshop is where Senior whisky people such as master distillers or whisky experts take you through their own labels allowing you taste their product and give you an excellent insight into their whiskies.'

Looks like a perfect night after a day out at Murrayfield, so I'm there for sure and looking forward to it.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:53 am

I got a response telling me that tickets were selling quickly, so book soon. I duly phoned up to book, but the box office only seemed able to deal with the £10 ticket. They hadn't heard of the £25 one - although they did find something called whisky workshop at £5. I have e-mailed the organisers to get clarification.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:06 pm

I would go to this, as it's on my birthday, but I'd say the flights and accomodations will be very expensive with the match on. I think it's also the day that England play Ireland in Croke Park - an historic event.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 pm

Strangely, this event appeals to me too, especially as we now have cheap direct (EasyJet) flights between Munich and Edinburgh.

But in reality, as Aidan says, this is probably too much expense for a one afternoon event.

:(
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:55 pm

I've heard from someone in the trade that some bigger names are not attending due to it being seen as a bit of a pi$$ up after the rugby - I think they're missing an opportunity as the average rugby fan shelling out some decent cash for a ticket at Murrayfield, including our Italian visitors, would be an ideal target market.

Having said that 'pi$$ up after the rugby' sounds good, and probably applies, to me :lol:
Leither
Gold Member

Postby The Fachan » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:59 pm

Would love to see the organisers make more of an effort on the web-site. Tell us who is coming what is available, what to expect.
For us to pick on such an event 4 weeks before it starts leaves me a little curious, sadly I have no time to be around for it.
The Fachan
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:27 pm

For my money, it is only a tenner plus the fiver they reckon the workshop is (I do have the advantage of being in Edinburgh that weekend). Even if it is just a booze up after the rugby, and even if the range isn't terribly good, I think it still looks interesting. At the least, I should be able to try the cheaper end of the Bowmore range. And I like whisky workshops, even though I am having to buy on spec. And just because others might misbehave doesn't mean I have to.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:29 pm

Although I do wish we would share the rugby fun with other towns and cities. Stranraer, perhaps.
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:58 pm

Although I do wish we would share the rugby fun with other towns and cities. Stranraer, perhaps.

Being a rugby player originally from Stranraer, a fine idea!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:11 am

I fancy this event as well, despite planning to be at a football match the same day.

Have asked for info on the workshops.

Bruce
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:33 am

The only thing with this event is that after the Scotland v Italy game (3pm KO) there are a further two potentially great games with later kick offs - Ireland v England 5.30pm KO, then France v Wales 8pm KO. So with this event on from 5pm til 10pm they clash big time :( Bawbags!

I have a dilemma whisky or rugby......... decisions, decisions

And no, recording the games just isn't the same.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 09, 2007 10:43 am

Maybe a quick E-Mail to the organisers asking for a big screen to be installed could help your dilemma?

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Feb 09, 2007 12:31 pm

My mate and I will also have to run like hell from the football to the train station to make it and we'll miss about 45 minutes or so.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:02 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:My mate and I will also have to run like hell from the football to the train station to make it and we'll miss about 45 minutes or so.

Is there football in Falkirk?
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:49 pm

Who said I support Falkirk? :twisted:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:28 am

I certainly didn't. For all I know, you might be an East Stirlingshire man.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:24 pm

That's where I live but I don't support them. :twisted:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:45 pm

Not many people do.
Deactivated Member

Postby The Dazzler » Wed Feb 21, 2007 12:35 am

Any further up-dates from anyone on this event?? As far as I know the only big names going are Highland Park and Suntory!!! For £10 however I would be happy drinking some HP 12yo or 18yo for 5 hours or so, (Suntory whiskies are not that bad either).

Slainte!!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Ian Buxton » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:25 pm

This event seems curiously anonymous. I picked up an apology for a flyer in the Bow Bar last week, which told you nothing more than is on the website, and an email to them asking specifically who will be exhibiting and requesting details of the classes hasn't been answered!
Ian Buxton
Bronze Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:05 pm

I enjoyed the event though it could have done without the bagpipes and the ceilidh band.

Made some good discoveries, especially Yamazaki, Hakushu, Jefferson's bourbon, Blanton's bourbon, Bruichladdich waves and anything from Murray McDavid's 46% range. 8)

The event should be much better publicised though and let's hope they have it again next year.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:26 pm

Actually, I quite enjoyed this event.

It didn't augur well when the glasses on offer were tumblers. Neither did it augur well when they said that there was no masterclass. And when I went through the door to see only a handful of stands and even fewer punters, I really started to worry. And as for the bagpipes - HIGHLAND PIPES ARE NOT AN INDOOR INSTRUMENT!!!

However, amongst the debris, I got to try a number of whiskies I have never had before. Star of the show - if only for rarity - was Mackmyra 03 - a curious farrago of flavours - including new make, salt, fish, aniseed, and various fruity tones. I was also very taken by the Yamazaki and Hakushu whiskies which were very fragrant and delicate, but exquisitely balanced. I confess to being disappointed by the Murray McDavid stand, which had some rather weird finishes on some rather plain whiskies. The Ben Nevis, in particular, was far too young and new makey - and the use of port and zinfandel casks for a number of their offerings resulted in a ubiquitous blanket of cherryade flavours over everything. But at least they came, I suppose. Along the way, I had drams of Magilligan Irish Single Malt, Penderyn, an unnamed Speyside malt, and a Bruichladdich Waves - none of which really stood out (the Waves, perhaps, deserves tasting again on a clean palate).
I then finished off with three bourbons (Blantons and a couple of Jeffersons) which seemed reasonable if unexciting.

Nice, also, to bump into Mark from Cadenheads and Darren from The Whisky Shop.

So, all in all, it was worth the tenner, but there is much room for improvement.
Last edited by Deactivated Member on Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deactivated Member

Postby toshie » Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:49 pm

I popped along on Saturday and found no sign of a master class or workshop. Distilleries exhibiting were Bruichladdich, Glenrothes, Highland Park, Jura and Suntory. There were also tables with samples from Marshall's Whiskies and Ellenstown Single Malts, whom I believe the be an independent bottler, and some bourbons I hadn't heard of. Some of the tables had no people from the distillery actually present, and had simply hired people to pour. One 'exhibitor' told me: Don't ask me anything about the whiskies. I'm just reading from a sheet of A4."
Lynne McEwan, on the other hand, was as enthusiastic as ever and had time for a yarn with everyone at the Bruichladdich stall. The Suntory table was a hit as well, with an interesting range.
toshie
Bronze Member

Postby martin grant » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:25 pm

Nick Brown wrote:
The Ben Nevis, in particular, was far too young and new makey - and the use of port and zinfandel casks for a number of their offerings resulted in a ubiquitous blanket of cherryade flavours over everything.

Whisky and White Zinfandel - I knew it could work
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:39 pm

:lol:

Alas, it was zinfandel, not zinfandel
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:44 pm

I was very disappointed in that most of the stands I visited the staff had no clue whatsoever about their products, and some were too busy trying to chat each other up come 9.30pm. The best thing was the fact there was as many, if not more, international whiskies than 'Scotch' so ideal for those wanting to try more than just standard stuff.

The Irish Magilligans being very nice indeed (agreed by my Irish colleagues) for a 5yo Cooley, according to the label - good stuff from Ian Macleod bottlers. Also the Japanese speyside style was lovely too, ditto the Jeffersons bourbon compared to the Blantons offering.

Penderyn and Mackmyra not for me though, but was grateful to sample something a wee bit unusual.

Bruichladdich were pushing their Murray McDavid range and finishes - so no surprises there. Ben Nevis port was poor, Waves somewhat better.

I think the fact that I threw more away than went down my throat sums it up the event really.

The event organiser/promoter should be embarassed at the turnout of both suppliers and consumers. As for the catering well.... please try to thaw out the stuff next time. Room for improvement on all fronts really but, to finish on a positive note, a great idea and an ideal location/building.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Lawrence » Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 pm

Nick Brown wrote:. The Ben Nevis, in particular, was far too young and new makey -

Nick, I have a few bottles of a Ben Nevis 6 YO from MMcD and have found that it benefits from a fresh palate; it's actually quite nice, malty, sweet & dry but light, if it's my thrid dram of the evening it doesn't stand up.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Next

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder