Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Spirit of Toronto 2007

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Postby Frodo » Thu May 17, 2007 8:45 am

My thanks for all who took the time to write the reviews. Sounded like a great time was had by all!!!
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Frodo » Thu May 17, 2007 11:13 am

Hi Mogilny:

Id really like to hear from you what you liked about the Forty Creek special release. Was is bold? Subtle? Complex? Expressive? In what ways?

I'm thinking of getting a bottle or three but the price tag scares me for something I haven't tried yet. Liked the Three Grain, but can't drink the Barrel Select.

BTW this masterclass is the one that tempted me to go to SOI this year. If there was another that spoke to me the way this one was advertised, I might have gone...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby mogilny8 » Fri May 18, 2007 1:04 am

Hello Frodo;
Comparing the $175. bottle of Crown Royal XR to the $60. Forty Creek ‘small batch’.
Since I tried the 2 whiskies right after each other I submit the following observations:
The XR (tried first) was very smooth and very easy drinking, but I also thought it was too thin and one dimensional. A good whisky I would gladly enjoy but ‘Certainly Not’ worthy of the hefty price tag.
However the Forty Creek ‘Small Batch’ in comparison seemed to have more richness and weight in both the nose and mouth taste. It gave me a full balanced complex feel. I might add that the ‘caramel’ that could put ‘some’ (but not me) off in the ‘barrel select’ was more subtle. Truly a “Méritage of Single Grain Whiskies”, as John Hall aptly puts it. I think the Small Batch is well worth the extra money and enjoyed the ‘sneak peek’ at (I think) Canada’s Best. AND..I just put my order in for 3 bottles.

I really think you would enjoy S.O.T. In my humble opinion if I could only go to one tasting a year it would be this one.

If you would like to enjoy some more Spirit talk, there is a bit at our website.
http://www.bestofwhisky.com
Enjoy
mogilny8

Postby Frodo » Fri May 18, 2007 3:16 am

Thanks Mogilny! Interesting...
Frodo
Triple Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Sat May 26, 2007 11:59 pm

SoT Auction Update

It has been announced on the SoT festival website that more than $6000 was raised in the Rare Whisky Auction for the Parkinson Society Canada. To remind some, the auction was a tribute to Michael Jackson who announced that he has Parkinson's.

Please check it out at: http://www.spiritoftoronto.ca/

Congratulations!

Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder