Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Australian Malt Whisky Convention

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Would you travel to Australia for a whisky convention as good as this?

Yes
17%
No
75%
Maybe...perhaps tie it in with a major holiday?
8%

Total votes : 12

Australian Malt Whisky Convention

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:23 am

Australia's third biennial Malt Whisky Convention takes place in Melbourne this year. August 24th-26th.

Here's some blurb that I've posted on a few other whisky websites around the place.....

Australia’s third biennial Malt Whisky Convention returns this year on 24th-26th August for another three days of malt magnificence, this time in Melbourne. This year’s program is literally overflowing with attractions, including the Welcome Dinner on Friday, tasting sessions galore on Saturday including three themed Masterclasses featuring a stunning & breathtaking range of whiskies from Glenfarclas (Whisky Magazine’s Distillery of the Year 2006), Duncan Taylor and Gordon & MacPhail, and of course, the Gala Dinner with matching whiskies by none other than Franz Scheurer. The highlight for many will no doubt be the Great Whisky Exposition on the Sunday, featuring over 100 different single malt whiskies for you to sample from Scotland, Australia, Japan, & New Zealand. There’s so much more than we can fit in this short space, so for more information, please see http://www.mwsoa.org.au
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Dream trip

Postby Muskrat Portage » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:50 pm

Admiral:
There are two places I need to get to before I end my travels:
1) To actually get inside a whisky distillery
2) Holi in Oz for 6 months
Must save more money...
Peter
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:55 pm

Well, you could achieve both of those goals with the one trip here....we do have five single malt distilleries here! :)

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:07 am

if i was to go itt would have to be combined with a long holiday there, and for a big holiday like that im the type of person who would have to have been planning it for a year or so.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Jan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:38 am

Hi Admiral

The event sounds fine and all, but as Australia is not exactly in my neck of the woods, it is likely that I will never go - there are other attractive whisky events a lot closer to where I live. But in connection with a holiday? - sure, I would very much like to visit Australia someday.

(Unfortunately my GF has watched the Animal Planet shows and now know that you have your more than your fair share of poisonous snakes, spiders, jellyfish, younameit down there - so it will probably never happen.) :?
Jan
Gold Member

Postby Bullie » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:51 am

If I had the money, of course I'd go. :) If I was a rich man (tadadadadadidumdida), I'd go to every whiskyfest available! :D
Bullie
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:52 am

I promise to come along and visit ..........

Just as soon as I win the Lotto!
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:03 am

I said no because we went to Australia last year. We stayed in Sydney Ayres Rock and Cairns. Did so many great things that if and when we do come back there is so much more we want to see and do. Although a whisky fest is a great thing to do, it would not be so high on the things to do list.

:D
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:42 pm

Many years ago, I met a magnificent woman from Australia. I saved my pennies, got my visa...and it all fell through. Sigh. Just as well, she lived in Canberra.

I'd love to go to Oz, of course, but it's well on the back burner at this point. I'm pretty locked in to Scotland at the moment.
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:42 pm

I know it's not Australia, but one of the places on the planet that I'd most like to visit is New Zealand. Very disappointed I didn't get out there for the Rugby World Cup.
Aidan

Postby Admiral » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:16 am

Unfortunately my GF has watched the Animal Planet shows and now know that you have your more than your fair share of poisonous snakes, spiders, jellyfish, younameit down there - so it will probably never happen.)

Yes, but our kangaroos & koala bears are so cute! :wink: :D

Cheers,
ADmiral
Admiral
Triple Gold Member

Postby MGillespie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 am

Jan wrote:
(Unfortunately my GF has watched the Animal Planet shows and now know that you have your more than your fair share of poisonous snakes, spiders, jellyfish, younameit down there - so it will probably never happen.) :?

Crikey, Jan, you forgot the stingrays! ;)

Actually, I would love to go to Australia for this...or for any other reason! Gotta win that damn lottery first, though!

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:33 pm

Sorry but no, Just one step too far for a week-end of whisky :wink:

I'd be travelling longer than the week-end put together :?
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder