Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch vs. Irish Tasting

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Scotch vs. Irish Tasting

Postby TheLaddie » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:35 am

I have just returned from the latest Mainly Malts event in Bawtry. This was Ron's first blind(ish) event. All that follows is subject to editing once I sober up and read whatever drivel I have come up with... :oops:

So, this idea of the night was to compare Scotch vs. Irish whiskey. To that end Ron (Brummie) took the Irish side while Eric (Geordie) and brand amassador of G&M took the Scotch side. Because this was our first blind tasting the first two whiskies were introduced as normal to ease us in. We were given a form to score each out of five on nose, palette (this is Ron's spelling on the form, not mine...) and finish making a total of 15.

Tonight's drams were, with my scores:

1. G&M Royal Brackla N3 P2 F2 T7/15
2. Tyrconnell N3 P2 F1 T6/15
3. G&M Pultney N2 P1 F3 T6/15
4. Locke's 8yo N4 P3 F2 T9/15
5. G&M Secret Stills Bowmore 1989 17 yo N4 P4 F4 T12/15
6. Connemara Peated N2 P3 F3 T 8/15

Meaning on my scores a win for the scotch 25 to 23, and most votes went to the Scotch on the night too.

Ron's "mystery malt" thrown in at the end to confuse everyone wasn't a mystery to me as it was my idea to put it in. Celtic Nations went down pretty well with most people, although noone sussed what it was. My scores N3 P5 F3 T11/15.

Overall there were no "Oh my God" malts on the night. Had second helpings (and then some) of the Locke's, Bowmore and Celtic Nations. Came home with a bottle of the Bowmore and put a bottle of Celtic Nations aside.

Overall another fun evening. If anything it shows me how much I have left to learn. While I managed to tell Irish from Scotch right every time (so I'm not a complete spiv) and got the regions pretty much spot on I didn't get any of the distilleries right apart from the Connemara because I've got a bottle at home, and I got the Bowmore right on the nose, but changed my mind to an Ardbeg on the palate. Must try harder... :roll:
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:24 am

Laddie so the Bowmore got the top rating. In hindsight was it the best whisky of the night? Sounds like a good evening.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:27 am

Just one other question would you buy the Secret Stills over an OB 17 year old?

les taylor

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri Mar 23, 2007 12:36 pm

Hi Laddie, You seemed to like the Locke's 8yo. Eventhough you scored it higher than the Connemara would you put it ahead of the connemara if you had to buy one of them.

I think it is a nice mildly peated malt but still prefer the Connemara.

So the Celtic Nations is worth getting is it???

Seemingly the Cooley malt is the malt with the higher peat levels in this one.

les taylor wrote:Just one other question would you buy the Secret Stills over an OB 17 year old?

Ditto
irishwhiskeychaser

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:13 pm

I recently used the Celtic Nations at a tasting and the overwhelming conclusion from all tasters was that it was drinkable, but nothing any of them would buy.

There was a little evidence of the typical 'laddie fruitiness, but this was overwhelmed by the Irish (Cooleys) whiskey.

I haven't yet tried this one myself, but I will do so over this coming weekend.
Meanwhile, the actual comments given to it on the night were:

"1. It's a potato in sheep's clothing"

"2. It has a Scottish nose and an Irish mouth"
Deactivated Member

Postby Aidan » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi Laddie

'Cooley' versus Scotch whiskey, really, but very interesting nonetheless.

I like the Locke's 8, very nice indeed.
Aidan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Mar 23, 2007 9:28 pm

OK, I've just poured a Celtic Nations and here are my (live) notes:

Nose: Very much Bruichladdich Waves with that young passion-fruity aroma, but also with something else that gives it a slightly 'off' aroma, in a slightly cheesy kind of way.

Palate: Nothing 'cheesy' with the palate. It's certainly different and not quite what I expected. That initial tingle of passion-fruit with perhaps a touch of apricot is very evident, but this soon releases further flavours which definitely remind me of typical Irish whiskeys.
Although the Bruichladdiness fades quickly, the Irishness lingers into a reasonably long finish which is quite pleasant.

Verdict:
The flavour and initial tingle remind me very much of Bruichladdich Waves, so I am tempted to suppose that the 'Laddie in here is quite a young one at 6-8 years old. This does soon turn into something else containing some kind of wine or cognac elements which are really quite smooth and pleasant on the palate.
It's different, it's a novelty, it's drinkable, but it's not going to be anything other than a novelty for me.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:25 am

les taylor wrote:Just one other question would you buy the Secret Stills over an OB 17 year old?

To be honest I've never had the 17 OB so I can't really say. Though it was the best whisky on the night I wouldn't have called it mind blowing. It's one I'd happily drink my way through but I've had a few dozen better Ardbegs, Laproaigs, Lagavullins and Bruichladdichs. Not bad at just over 30 quid for a 17 yo Islay.
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby TheLaddie » Sat Mar 24, 2007 12:41 am

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:Hi Laddie, You seemed to like the Locke's 8yo. Eventhough you scored it higher than the Connemara would you put it ahead of the connemara if you had to buy one of them.

I think it is a nice mildly peated malt but still prefer the Connemara

I'm not really sure what was going on with the Connemara. I've had a bottle at home for a year or so and have always found it pretty pleasant. The nose on the bottle last night was overpoweringly Pear Drops to the point of being Nail Varnish remover. It was pretty off putting. I've poured myself a dram at home and it is altogether more agreeable. I'd happily buy another bottle of this and would probably put it ahead of the Locke's but if last night's bottle is representative of a change in the whiskey I'd rather avoid it. I really haven't given Irish malts enough time as yet as there are plenty of Scottish malts I haven't given enough time yet either and I still get drawn to those shelves rather than the Irish section.

irishwhiskeychaser wrote:So the Celtic Nations is worth getting is it???

It is undoubtedly worth trying as MT says, as a different experience rather than something you'll drink a bottle of and then want to buy another. I'd agree very much with what he says about the Bruichladdich coming in upfront with the Irish finish. I'll certainly want to try the others in the series out of interest.[/quote]
TheLaddie
Gold Member

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:13 pm

I think I might give it a go for a laugh. Novelty is a good description guys.
irishwhiskeychaser

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder