Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Spirit of Speyside 07

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 06, 2007 4:38 pm

Happy Birthday for Yesterday Onefortheditch ! Nice way to spend your birthday being chauffered about drinking whisky in lovely surroundings !
Christ is Aberlour up to batch 17 !
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Sun May 06, 2007 4:39 pm

sounds like fun ditch.

i had planned on going up to the event, but im more into special release bottles etc, and as i was up a few weeks ago i got a few things, and as they dont do any single cask bottlings just for the event it doesnt apeal to me.
o the other hand, the islay one does due to the special release bottles, so before anyone jumps on the bandwaggon, im not knocking the speyside one, its just not what i want.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun May 06, 2007 11:21 pm

Spirit of Islay wrote:Happy Birthday for Yesterday Onefortheditch ! Nice way to spend your birthday being chauffered about drinking whisky in lovely surroundings !
Christ is Aberlour up to batch 17 !

Thanks Spirit of Islay

Yes....Speyside is brilliant...but I'm sure so is Islay!!

Haven't tasted the A'bunadh yet and never got to Aberlour....next time though...
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun May 06, 2007 11:33 pm

vitara7 wrote:sounds like fun ditch.

i had planned on going up to the event, but im more into special release bottles etc, and as i was up a few weeks ago i got a few things, and as they dont do any single cask bottlings just for the event it doesnt apeal to me.
o the other hand, the islay one does due to the special release bottles, so before anyone jumps on the bandwaggon, im not knocking the speyside one, its just not what i want.

Sounds good V7, it won't be long before I get to Islay, I'm sure. Will probably avoid festival this year and go at a quiet period for the first visit.

Was talking to some of the staff in the distilleries and it seems a lot of distillery staff are avid collectors too, although I haven't spotted any on this forum....maybe they are not allowed to talk??
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun May 06, 2007 11:43 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:
Yes....Speyside is brilliant...but I'm sure so is Islay!!

Heading over to another beautiful part of Scotland Tomorrow morning , The South West , going over to Bladnoch to visit one of the bairns and to see Mr Armstrong , just the A69 and A75 to contend with.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Mon May 07, 2007 12:21 am

The Benromach 5YO Tokaji Wood Finish turned out to be a mistake....its terrible!! :headbang:

Some blending required methinks!! :idea:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue May 08, 2007 6:55 pm

It was fantastic and no need to take a ferry either :P .

I'm writing a report and I'll let you know when it is posted.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Tue May 08, 2007 7:37 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:The Benromach 5YO Tokaji Wood Finish turned out to be a mistake....its terrible!! :headbang:

Some blending required methinks!! :idea:

the newer traditional are quite poor and i didnt like the 21yo tokaji finish they done a year or so back, so i thought myself the 5yo tokaji would be a stinker, looks like i was right... :?

which is a shame, as the older stuff is very good i feel.
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I hope people will forgive my cutting and pasting a note I had written under the Guardians of Glenlivet thread:

Well, I went to The Glenlivet during the Spirit of Speyside festival. As a Guardian of the Glenlivet, I was so looked after!

The event was a tutored tasting of various Glenlivets, led by Ian Logan, the Global Brand Ambassador. Ian is totally passionate about The Glenlivet and it makes such a difference when a brand ambassador actually likes the product. I forget exactly what the range was, but I suspect it was New Make, 12yo, Nadurra Cask Strength, 18yo, 25yo and the 1972 Cellar Collection (I think - I may have the year wrong). This was a little bit hurried - The Glenlivet deserves longer - but it was brilliant to be able to compare and contrast all the expressions. I have a bottle of Nadurra 48% at home, but the Cask Strength is even better. Get it if you can find it!

Then we all trooped off to the warehouse, where Ian produced a Valinch and tapped into a 1973 cask - perhaps the next addition to the Cellar Collection range. This was different to the 1972(?), with more oils, a goodly amount of fruit, and a very rich and long sherry finish.

So far, so good. This was available as part of the ticket. But the day before I left for Dufftown, the Guardians of Glenlivet sent out an e-mail inviting us to a barbecue that evening. I signed up and thought that I'd worry about the transport back later - although I had fortunately met a couple of Americans - John and Jenny - who were also going to the barbecue and driving back, so problem sorted.

Well, I had a bit of time to kill before the barby, so I followed the smoke and found a sma' still in the back garden. Although it wasn't working too well at the time due to the wind, there was a bottle of the new make from the morning. I gave it a try and it was an interesting contrast to The Glenlivet official stuff. It had a more vegetably feel to it. And then I got chatting to a chap (whose name I forget), who turned out to have invented the Guardians of Glenlivet. I showed him my key, which was on my keyring, and we went off in search of the door. I found the door and with a bit of wiggling, we got the key to work. I'd love to tell you what was behind the door, but that would spoil the surprise. Suffice to say that it exceeded my wildest expectations.

Before the barbecue, Ian Logan managed to thrust a generous glass of Cellar Collection 1964 into my hand. He declared it to be the finest Glenlivet ever bottled, and I wouldn't disagree. Back in the day, I had tried old G&M sherried Glenlivet whish was dark, woody and marmaladey. This was light as a feather - a gentle orange colour and a fatty, buttery fruitiness. It absolutely sang.

And then to the barbecue. There was an abundant supply of kebabs, trout, salmon, venison burgers, pork and haggis sausages - and also salads and trimmings to boot. All eaten at fully laid tables, with wine laid on, and views for miles over the glens and hills. The sun shone, and it was good.

I cannot thank everyone at The Glenlivet enough for providing my personal highlight of the Festival - and for those Guardians who are in two minds about visiting, then do it! Great whisky, great people, great place.

Nick
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed May 09, 2007 7:42 pm

As for Glenlivet, I recommend Duncan Taylor's 1969 Lonach bottling, at a natural cask strength of 40.7%abv
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed May 09, 2007 8:57 pm

Nick Brown wrote:I hope people will forgive my cutting and pasting a note I had written under the Guardians of Glenlivet thread:

Nick our Imagination still needs satisfying, What is behind the door :wink:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby vitara7 » Thu May 10, 2007 12:03 am

behind the door is a set of stairs....

i was rather upset at that actually, as no one mentioned there would be stairs.. i wouldnt have joined if i knew stair climbing would have been invloved....
vitara7
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Thu May 10, 2007 5:38 am

BruceCrichton wrote:It was fantastic and no need to take a ferry either :P .

As usual, Bruce, I look forward to your next report...
Best regards,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu May 10, 2007 6:59 am

Wendy wrote:
BruceCrichton wrote:It was fantastic and no need to take a ferry either :P .

As usual, Bruce, I look forward to your next report...
Best regards,
Wendy

I'm about halfway through it. Ready soon
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby martin grant » Thu May 10, 2007 3:20 pm

Issue 63 of Whisky magazine featured an article on whisky and food and highlighted a dinner to celebrate the Spirit of Speyside festival, to be held at The Craggan Mill Restaurant in Grantown - on - Spey. The dinner sounds fantastic, and just wondered if anyone managed to make it along?
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat May 12, 2007 1:28 am

My report is done.

I've sent it to the Dufftown website.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Wed May 16, 2007 5:01 am

Hi Bruce,
Your report is one of my all time favourites. The past four days have been filled with the comings and goings of my recent local festival, Spirit of Toronto, but after a wee rest, your report is at the top of my list to check out.

Until then,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sat Jun 02, 2007 11:43 am

BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Mustardhead » Sat Jun 02, 2007 8:17 pm

What an excellent account! I'm glad you had your notebook so you could remember who you are :D :lol:
Mustardhead
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:18 am

Mustardhead wrote:

What an excellent account! I'm glad you had your notebook so you could remember who you are :D :lol:

It's difficult to forget me, especially if you are me. :coffee:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Wendy » Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:21 am

Well Bruce, you have done it again!

You always succeed to introduce a long list of whiskies that I hope to one day (or dream of) sampling. By your account, the Speyside Festival never fails to give the whisky enthusiast the opportunity to experience a wide range of taste variations and age groups, independent bottlers and closed distilleries. The Independent Bottler's Challenge sounds like tons of fun; I would love to throw my hat into that ring!

There is so much that I could comment on but, right off the bat, the Dailuaine 16 yo (sherry trifle, toffee, fruitcake and a little smoke) sounds like the perfect Xmas dram! And, in particular, the DTC 1972 Caperdonich, 41.3% abv has been on my radar for awhile, so it was good to read your notes. It was also interesting reading your comments on the Adelphi stable; something to keep my eye out for. Arrrr...the list is endless.

Thanks, again Bruce for another enjoyable read. A job well-done!

Cheers,
Wendy
Wendy
Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:34 pm

Wendy wrote:Well Bruce, you have done it again!

You always succeed to introduce a long list of whiskies that I hope to one day (or dream of) sampling. By your account, the Speyside Festival never fails to give the whisky enthusiast the opportunity to experience a wide range of taste variations and age groups, independent bottlers and closed distilleries. The Independent Bottler's Challenge sounds like tons of fun; I would love to throw my hat into that ring!

It seems to be a spring event. Hope to see you there.

There is so much that I could comment on but, right off the bat, the Dailuaine 16 yo (sherry trifle, toffee, fruitcake and a little smoke) sounds like the perfect Xmas dram!

The Dufftown whisky shop is well stocked with Flora and Fauna Dailuaine and they ship to Canada, I think. I'm sure that Dailuaine 16 isn't available abroad.

And, in particular, the DTC 1972 Caperdonich, 41.3% abv has been on my radar for awhile, so it was good to read your notes. It was also interesting reading your comments on the Adelphi stable; something to keep my eye out for. Arrrr...the list is endless.

Mark Watt likes his Caperdonich and the Adelphi Clynelish and Glen Scotia 1991 are available from the Dufftown whsiky shop. I assume that the DTC Caperdonich is as well. The Adelphi Linkwood is expected to be out in june- it was fantastic.

Glad you found it entertaining.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder