Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Local

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Local

Postby Lawrence » Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:20 pm

For those of you who live in the Scotland and can take advantage of this:

Whisky Galore At Tesco’s 'Enjoy The Taste Of Scotland' Event
27 April 2007

Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Locals’ event once again brings together a selection of the very best of Scotland’s larder on the 4th – 6th* May at the Assembly Rooms, George Street, Edinburgh.

Producers from some of Scotland’s premier beverage suppliers will be in attendance throughout the three day event to provide visitors with tales and tastes of their produce. Household names and speciality producers from the drinks industry will come together to present their very own, individual taste of Scotland.

Visitors to this free event will be able to sample an array of thirst quenching soft drinks as well as an extensive range of beers, wines, whiskies and spirits, all produced in Scotland.

Sangs (Banff) Ltd have been producing soft drinks for over 100 years and will be showcasing their range of refreshing, ‘sugar free’ flavoured waters, a wonderful collection of fruity flavours made from their award winning spring water.

Premium bottled beers from Edinburgh’s Caledonian Brewery will be on display from Scottish and Newcastle as well as a range of ‘Historic Ales’ from Heatherale, made to ancient recipes using plants, fruit and flowers indigenous to Scotland.

Traditional Scottish Ales will be displaying a fabulous selection of hand crafted ale, including the world’s FIRST whisky ale, 1488. The beer is matured in Tullibardine distillery oak bourbon casks before bottling. This gives the beer a whisky colour, nose and aftertaste. 1488 was the year James IV, returning from his Scone coronation and purchased beer from the site of the present distillery.

Visitors to the Edinburgh event will be able to sample whisky galore with an array of Scotland’s finest distillers showcasing their own special dram of the ‘Amber Nectar’.

Moet Henesey will be sampling a range of their finest whiskies, including their 10 year old Glenmorangie Malt Whiskey with a port wood finish and their 15 year old Malt with a burgundy wood finish. The company will also be displaying Baillie Nicol Jarvie a premium blended scotch whisky as well as Ardberg a 10 year old malt whisky.

Gordon & MacPhail will be exhibiting a selection of single malt scotch whiskies from their extensive portfolio, including various expressions and new releases from their award winning Benromach range. They will also be exhibiting their new malt whisky liqueur, Dunkeld Atholl Brose.

Ian MacLeod Distillers will be showcasing both their Isle of Skye Whisky, as well as both their Glengoyne and Smokehead Whiskies and Diageo will be showcasing the world’s number one deluxe whisky, Johnnie Walker, as well as some of the most unique single malts available.

Crabbies will be offering visitors a taste of their Old Scottish Green Ginger Wine, the perfect tipple to enjoy sitting by a roaring fire, either on its own or in the famous ‘Whiskey Mac’, equal measures of Crabbie’s and scotch whiskey.

Blackwood’s, Scotland’s most northerly distillery will be displaying their award winning Vintage Dry Gin as well as JAGOs, a fresh cream liqueur, made with Blackwood’s vodka, 100% fresh Scottish cream and real vanilla.

And if visitors are looking for inspiration on how best to enjoy the wonderful range of drinks on display, Barrie Wilson from Diageo will be on hand in the Celebrity Cookery Theatre mixing up an array of amazing cocktails.

Following the success of last years event, this year is set to be unmissable with over 90 regional suppliers covering the length and breadth of Scotland, showcasing their local produce at the Edinburgh event.

Visitors to Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Locals’ event are bound to savour this unmissable experience, enjoying an array of delicious flavours, textures and aromas sourced from throughout Scotland.

Open to Public:
Saturday 5th May 2007, 10am – 6pm
Sunday 6th May 2007, 10am – 4pm
Venue: The Assembly Rooms, George Street, Edinburgh
Entrance: Free of charge. Tickets to the celebrity kitchen are FREE and are collected from the event registration on a first come, first served basis.
Sponsors: Scottish Enterprise and Scottish Food & Drink

There is strictly no admission to under 18 year olds unless accompanied by an adult.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Re: Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your L

Postby BruceCrichton » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:48 pm

Lawrence wrote:
Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Locals’ event once again brings together a selection of the very best of Scotland’s larder on the 4th – 6th* May at the Assembly Rooms, George Street, Edinburgh.

brilliant. Timed to coincide with the Speyside whisky festival. :evil:

Grr!!!!!! :x :headbang:
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Leither » Mon Apr 30, 2007 11:01 am

Excellent Lawrence, thanks for highlighting - I'm going to this but did not know the details on who would be there. Last year it was up at the Hub at the very top of the High St before the Whisky Heritage Centre. Bigger venue suggests the event has grown.

Last year there was only Bowmore, Old Pulteney and Grouse (from memory) there so looking forward to this year's expanded format. Whisky aside last year's event really was very good indeed, suppliers were literally filling up bags and giving their wares away by the bagload.

I'm going to the preview night on the Friday evening as I'm a loyal Tesco shopper. 8)
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Tue May 08, 2007 1:19 pm

I attended this event on Friday evening with my good lady and it was another excellent event. We popped back in on the Saturday for an hour or so to partake in some of the cookery demos and a cocktail class.

The variety of local produce on offer - from fruit to yoghurt, cheese to jams and beef to salmon was awesome and represented a great celebration of all our national produce. There is so much more to great Scottish food than haggis that we can be proud of.

Irrespective of how much Tesco are purported to 'squeeze suppliers' this was a fantastic illustration of a successful retailer fully supporting fresh, local produce from, in the main, the small-scale producers. Good PR for Tesco I guess.

The various beers and foodstuffs I tasted were simply sublime but on to the more serious matters of whisky......

First up, Benromach - a wee taste of their Organic, just great for such a youngster and fully exemplifies the effects of virgin oak. Hot news from G&M was the very recent release (that day!) of their new 'heavily peated' expression, at 46% and peated to 55 ppm! :shock:

I'm not a fan of the peaty Speysiders such as Benriach and the new Ballantruan from Tomintoul but this one hit the spot for me, a huge smack of peatsmoke and a mouth-feel not too dissimilar to the Ardbeg young-guns! Will sure watch out for this one to hit the shelfs.

Next up Diageo were there - a glitzy bar promoting their trendy cocktails but also plugging the Talisker 18 recently winning the 'Icons of Whisky' best malt in the world. Very nice couple of drams from a plastic tumbler rather than the wee thimble size taster normally on offer. Much appreciated. I took mine straight rather than in a 'Talisker sour'! Wise chioice even by the barman's admission - boy what white teeth he had :mrgreen:

Then on to Old Pulteney, only the 12 on offer and when I enquired on the 17 they said I'd have to come back Sunday, fair do's.

After some food I steered along to Glenmorangie with their standard 10, 15 and various finishes - the 15 was nice and again the new wood finish adds some bite and depth. Followed this with the 1990 Arbeg beast which was nice enough but I still prefer the TEN, especially at it's price-point!

Finished off with a particular favourite bottler/blender/distiller of mine Ian Macleod - pushing their Isle of Skye 8yo, such a decent blend for little over a tenner with apparently the malt content being much older than 8yo. Also there was the Glengoyne 10yo - pure malty goodness and Smokehead - pure smokey goodness at the other end of the peat-scale. Managed to sample a wee bit of rum too. Ian Macleod bottle a great range of products and all are very competitively priced, and to me bucking the current trend of premiumisation to offer consumers far better value for the quality.

Earlier in the afternoon I attended the Ian Macloed tasting masterclass, featuring the aforementioned whiskies and was lucky enough to win a bottle of Smokehead in their blind tasting challenge - although it wasn't too tough to differentiate the blend from the un-peated from the peated. Very good of them to give away a few bottles.

All in all - a very good event and even better considering it was free 8)
Last edited by Leither on Wed May 09, 2007 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Tue May 08, 2007 1:24 pm

Thankyou Leither an excellent report. I wish they did something like that here in the south.

:)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Tesco’s ‘Enjoy the Taste of Scotland, Get to Know Your Local

Postby craigmcgill » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:20 am

@ Les - you never know your luck... :wink:

@ Leither - the event is on this year as well - April 25, 26 and 27 if you fancy coming along - feel free to even blog about it...there's a website going up soon at http://www.enjoy-taste-scotland.com
craigmcgill

Postby les taylor » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:25 am

Hi Craig welcome to the forums I hope you enjoy your time here. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby craigmcgill » Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:58 pm

Thanks Les, I don't see how it would be possible not to have a good time on whisky forums. I just need to find the threads for Auchentoshan :D
craigmcgill

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder