Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Fringe

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Aug 22, 2007 1:05 pm

I'd echo the support for the Adelphi stall (great Linkwood and Glen Garioch) and the OMC Glenturret, with its huge and complex finish.

The new range of Glenmorangie flavoured whiskies is a vast improvement over the old range, with the taste of the Glenmorangie coming through and the flavouring feeling like it is integrated, rather than a masking agent.

Other stellar drams included Dewar's Signatory (my star of the show), Aberfeldy 21 (have I got the age right?), Mackmyra 05 and the DL Caledonian 40yo (I perferred this to the Lochside, but I tried the Caledonian first, which maybe helped).

The Rarest of the Rare blend was interesting for its contents, but wasn't the greatest whisky ever. Alas, I don't have my tasting notes here or I'd offer more detail.

Thanks again to RMW for organizing the event, and next time please don't only enter people in the prize draw if they vote for the winning whisky because this does inhibit voting for some of the less fashionable options.

Plonkers of the festival:

American woman wearing strong perfume, trying every dram on the G&M stall by giving it a cursory sniff (they all had perfumey notes?) and then knocking it back in one before moving rapidly onto the next dram

Guy at the DL stall, early on the Saturday, presenting a clean glass and asking for Port Ellen. Robin Laing said that he'd not be able to taste anything else after a Port Ellen. The guy replied that he knew, but he just liked Port Ellen. Quick festival, eh?
Deactivated Member

Postby Leither » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:56 pm

.... almost forgot.... I had a bit of a 'red mist' moment but managed to calm myself. It was whilst at the Diageo stall who had a Lagavulin on the table but when my pal (who only likes peaty stuff) asked if he could sample the Lagavulin, not listed but clearly on the table, the rep refused and said 'actually, that one isn't available' and proceeded to stash it under the table.

I almost told him where to shove their Classic malts membership but just walked away instead!
Leither
Gold Member

Postby Arthur Motley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:05 pm

Thanks for the kind comments about Whisky Fringe 2007, especially the ones about the value for money. We could charge alot more for that event but we don't.

We were all particularly pleased with how the first Spirit of the Fringe competition went. Counting the votes was a fun job for a groggy head on a Monday morning. The results have just gone up on the website this afternoon.
Nick - your comments are noted on the method of selecting a winner and make sense to me. I'll make sure this is discussed at the de-briefing.

Thanks to our suppliers...not possible without them and they work really hard.

Thanks especially everyone for coming and making for a great atmosphere.
Arthur Motley

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:06 pm

A great event Arthur and one not to be missed.

Interestingly, I tasted only two of the top 10.

Maybe people didn't try the Adelphi bottles. if they didn't that leaves all the more for me. 8)
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:15 pm

Nick Brown wrote:

Plonkers of the festival:

Guy at the DL stall, early on the Saturday, presenting a clean glass and asking for Port Ellen. Robin Laing said that he'd not be able to taste anything else after a Port Ellen. The guy replied that he knew, but he just liked Port Ellen. Quick festival, eh?

Is it not Fred Laing? Dark tanned, lean, sharply dressed and with a thin moustache?

Didn't taste the Port Ellen, ironically enough. Had my eye on the Glenturret and that was great. Will pick that and the other 10 or so 'must buys' when I have the cash.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:25 pm

BruceCrichton wrote:
Is it not Fred Laing? Dark tanned, lean, sharply dressed and with a thin moustache?

Steady on Bruce , are you insinuating Nick has got a fact wrong ? :shock:

Just one question was this person singing Scottish Folk / Whisky songs at the time and trying to flog you a copy of a book about Speyside at the time ? If not probably Fred......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:31 pm

Indeed it was Fred - sorry :cry:

I have been listening to too many Jacobite songs and the name seems to have lodged.
Deactivated Member

Postby BruceCrichton » Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:32 pm

Will RMW be exhibiting at Whisky Live This year?

They had some cracking bottlings last year.
BruceCrichton
Double Gold Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder