Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Scotch Malt Whisky Extravaganza..any advice?

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Scotch Malt Whisky Extravaganza..any advice?

Postby Jdiddy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:18 am

I have heard various reviews about this event. I am a member but have not attended one yet. Someone once told me that they expected a nice rare selection and they were greeted with a standard selection and was underimpressed. Is this true? Any examples of what they have? I am considering the one in Boston this year and any help would be appreciated.
Jdiddy

Re: Scotch Malt Whisky Extravaganza..any advice?

Postby rthomson » Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:34 pm

Jdiddy,

Sorry that I didn't respond before the actual event. I've been on vacation and didn't catch your post in time. Did you attend? If so, what was your reaction to it?

I've been to two tastings in Seattle, though I won't be attending the one scheduled for this evening. I've found that the expressions offered range from commonly available (a large percentage of the offerings) to a small handful of rare malts. That can probably be said of many whisky events. The SMWS typically has four or five of its bottles available and it's an opportunity to sample before you buy. At roughly U.S.$100 I find it to be pricey for a two-hour event. That being said, the SMWS takes the effort to find a nice venue and the buffet-style dinner has been quite good. Additionally, I enjoyed the opportunity to chat with other whisky enthusiasts and I will likely attend future events.

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby mikeymad » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:18 am

I am not a member (yet), but I will be attending, as a guest of peergynt, in San Francisco this Tuesday (November 6th).

I thought of it more of a try before you buy (new stuff), not so much find old stuff. It will be all pretty much new to me. And everything at cask strength, two hours should be enough.... :o

Also, anyone else from the list going?

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby corbuso » Mon Nov 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Jdiddy wrote:I have heard various reviews about this event. I am a member but have not attended one yet. Someone once told me that they expected a nice rare selection and they were greeted with a standard selection and was underimpressed. Is this true? Any examples of what they have? I am considering the one in Boston this year and any help would be appreciated.

I don't know about this event. But If you refer to the Scotch Malt Whisky Society, they have now released two bottles of Glen Grant from the early 1970s, as well as a Laphroaig sherry cask bottling.

Corbuso
http://www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder