Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

"Celebrate the Macallan"

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

"Celebrate the Macallan"

Postby ResIpsa539 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:03 am

I received an e-mail from Macallan about a series of upcoming tastings their doing in the US called "Celebrate the Macallan". I'm heading to one in DC in a few weeks, and I wonder if anyone has had experience with these sorts of tastings? I'm all registered to go on their website, but their site doesn't offer much help as to what exactly will be going on there, what there will be to taste, etc. I attended the Johnnie Walker Experience last year which was a splendid time, even though I don't think TOO highly of their product. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers!
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Re: "Celebrate the Macallan"

Postby Reggaeblues » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:49 am

My now wife bought me a present of a residential weekend/Mac tasting in Scotland in 2004. Its success could of course been aided by the surroundings - classic 4 star hotel in Scotland...but the event was wonderful. entertaining...great whiskies from newmake to 1946 vintage...and a great five course meal to round it off...with a different dram for each course. Macallan did a grand job, and their maltmaster was in attendance.

Don't know whether yours 'll be as grand(or expensive) but if you like macallan(pre "fine oak", as this was!) then I would say you can't go wrong! Besides, always fun to mingle with fellow whisky anoraks!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Thu Oct 11, 2007 8:57 pm

Yeah, I can't imagine it'll be as nice as that, considering it's FREE. At the JW Experience, they gave us a glass of Black Label, albeit on the rocks, then took us down for a presentation where we tasted all of the labels (small drams though...). If it's comparable, I'll be thrilled. I'll bet we try the French Oak 10 and 15, and Sherry Oak 12 and perhaps the 18.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby amphetameme » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:39 am

I also received an email about the private tasting but unfortunately it was completely garbled, since gmail does a wonderful job of filtering out spam that was sent from unsavory addresses that don't match up. Looks to me like in this case, Macallan chose the wrong folks to send out the ad.

At any rate, does anyone know where the event will be held in Northern Virginia or DC?
amphetameme

Postby ResIpsa539 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:17 am

amphetameme wrote:I also received an email about the private tasting but unfortunately it was completely garbled, since gmail does a wonderful job of filtering out spam that was sent from unsavory addresses that don't match up. Looks to me like in this case, Macallan chose the wrong folks to send out the ad.

At any rate, does anyone know where the event will be held in Northern Virginia or DC?

I'm going to one in DC, at Constitution Hall.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby slidegirlcass » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:30 am

I am going to the one in NYC this Friday and my boyfriend and I were wondering if its formal. Its at a nice loft, and I assume its not a jeans and tshirt kind of function, but I dont want to show up in a cocktail dress and heels if its business casual. Any thoughts from someone who already went?
slidegirlcass

Postby ResIpsa539 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 5:05 am

http://www.celebratethemacallan.com

I didn't make it to the one I signed up for...too much law school work. And, the next batch of them come up right in the middle of my finals, so it doesn't look like it's gonna happen for me. I'm guessing you're another law school student who's drawn to the bottle from all of this hellacious work? Where are you in school? PM me if you want...

Alan
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:11 am

slidegirlcass wrote:I am going to the one in NYC this Friday and my boyfriend and I were wondering if its formal. Its at a nice loft, and I assume its not a jeans and tshirt kind of function, but I dont want to show up in a cocktail dress and heels if its business casual. Any thoughts from someone who already went?

I went in September at the same venue and it wasn't formal at all. Business casual would be perfect. They also give you a nice little parting gift.

Enjoy!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 6:14 am

Sherried Malt wrote:
slidegirlcass wrote:I am going to the one in NYC this Friday and my boyfriend and I were wondering if its formal. Its at a nice loft, and I assume its not a jeans and tshirt kind of function, but I dont want to show up in a cocktail dress and heels if its business casual. Any thoughts from someone who already went?

I went in September at the same venue and it wasn't formal at all. Business casual would be perfect. They also give you a nice little parting gift.

Enjoy!

Do tell! What did they serve? What was the nice little parting gift?
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:04 pm

They served the 10 and 15 year FO as well as the regular sherried 12 and 18 yo. (I seem to remember a fifth scotch, but it eludes me at the moment...) Everything was served in a Glencairn.

When you leave, you get this nice little shopping bag with a boxed Mac 12 mini and a Mac logo etched Glencairn. Very nice!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 3:51 pm

Sherried Malt wrote:They served the 10 and 15 year FO as well as the regular sherried 12 and 18 yo. (I seem to remember a fifth scotch, but it eludes me at the moment...) Everything was served in a Glencairn.

When you leave, you get this nice little shopping bag with a boxed Mac 12 mini and a Mac logo etched Glencairn. Very nice!

Wow, pretty nice...almost enough to get me to go during my law school finals...but not quite. Hopefully they'll have something later in the winter or the spring.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:39 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:keep me posted. I'm looking to get a glencairn glass but I'm not willing to pay the exorbitant shipping price.

I got lucky on the Glencairn glasses. The liquor store that I frequent was selling a Glenmorangie package set of the 10 yo with 2 Glencairn glasses, but they weren't selling, so he gave me 12 glasses for free and then just sold the 10yo by itself. After giving two to my father and losing one to a garbage disposal, I still have a nice amount left for when I get together with a large group.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby ResIpsa539 » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:06 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:um, I don't believe those are the glencairn glasses. those are glenmorangie's own glasses with covers. nice glasses though. can I get one from you? :D

8) $ 8)

Unless Glenmorangie is fraudulently engraving "Glencairn" on the bottom of their glasses, then I'm gonna assume they're real. Shoot me an e-mail and I'll send you a picture.
ResIpsa539
Bronze Member

Postby Sherried Malt » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:50 am

lawschooldrunk wrote:keep me posted. I'm looking to get a glencairn glass but I'm not willing to pay the exorbitant shipping price.

Been meaning to follow up, but keep getting bogged down with work... I got an extra one from the Macallan tasting (my buddy didn't want his...) and it's yours if you want.

Cheers.
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder