Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky an' a' that V

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Re: Whisky an' a' that V

Postby Willie JJ » Wed May 14, 2008 9:53 am

Maybe you can tout it at the event. :)
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed May 14, 2008 9:59 am

Maybe I can go round twice and get 12 samples...

:insane: :dead:
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed May 14, 2008 10:12 am

That seems like a much better idea.
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu May 15, 2008 3:18 pm

No takers for the spare ticket?

:cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 17, 2008 9:54 am

It's today! And of course, it's raining for the first time in ages (well, last weekend).

Photos and report to follow...
Deactivated Member

Postby Willie JJ » Sat May 17, 2008 10:08 pm

Well that was fun. :D

We had some great drams there, including the Ardbeg Rennaissance. That was brilliant; like a highly polished AAT. I will definitely be buying a wee stock of that shortly when it hits the streets.

Had some other star drams, but probably need to allow my head to clear before I can make any sensible commentary. Butephoto was sensibly taking notes, so he may be able to offer a quicker report.

That was an excellent whisky event and I'm sure I will go next year.

:D :D :D :D :D
Willie JJ

Postby Willie JJ » Sun May 18, 2008 10:45 am

Right here's my dramming list from yesterday (the ones I can remember anyway):

An Cnoc 16yo
Ardbeg Rennaissance
Arran Moscatel Finish
Arran 9yo OMC
Bruichladdich 15yo Torres Pines
Bruichladdich 18yo*
Bruichladdich Infinity 2e
Bunnahabhain 25yo
Craigellachie 15yo OMC
Glenfarclas 30yo
Glenfarclas Family Cask 1974
Glenfarclas Family Cask 1987
Glengoyne 12yo CS
Glenmorangie Nectar D'or
Glenmorangie 18yo Chateau Margaux
Islay Mist 17yo
Laphroaig 13yo OMC
Ledaig 10yo
Mortlach 15yo OMC**
Old Pulteney 17yo
Speyburn 25yo Solera
Tullibardine 1988

*Didn't mean to have this as I'm not a fan, but John McGill's dear lady didn't like it and it would have been a shame to waste it.
**Bought one of these.

These are the ones that stick in my mind. As mentioned above Butephoto was taking notes so he may know of something I tried but have forgotten.

All in all the quality of the drams was excellent. Ones that stand out in my recollection are the Glenfarclas family casks, An Cnoc 16yo (must buy this), all the OMCs and the Ardbeg Rennaissance of course.

Drams that surprised me (in a good way) were the Glengoyne 12yo CS which was stunning (must buy this too), The Islay Mist 17yo Blend (great stuff) and the Ledaig 10yo.

The Ledaig is the incoming bottling for the UK market and will replace the old (typically awful) NAS. I was pleased to find that it offers a much improved nose on the old NAS, (although it still exhibits feintiness and smells immature), while the palate and finish are now rather pleasant. I would regard this as being a huge improvement other than that apparently the price point for it will be around £40. I think the marketers at Burn Stewart have completely lost the plot on this. No one will buy Lediag at this price given its existing reputation and the improvement in the dram is simply not enough to make it worth this kind of money. Insane IMO.

As to the rest of the event, it was really good. There was a lot of fine entertainment which was best seen from the upper level. Saw some excellent dancing when we stopped for a sandwich. I have to confess though that I was mostly focused on chatting to folk and so tuned the entertainment out to the extent that I didn't hear who won what at the prizegiving.

The room in Ayr Town Hall was perfect and was sufficiently busy to create an excellent atmosphere. There was a really good number of stalls such that there were many drams that I wanted to try but didn't have time. I think I probably needed another 2-3 hours. Also, the drams were generously poured. I don't think I saw much less than about 25ml go into the glass and it was often significantly more. I like that. Lets you get to know the dram properly.

Overall, everyone seemed to have a really good time and I would heartily recommend the event to everyone for the future.

Many thanks to Robbie's Drams staff for making it such a great day.

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 18, 2008 5:24 pm

Hahaha, notes you say? I think I noted 5 or 6 before giving up. And even then they were hastily scribbled and generally said whether I liked it or not...

:P

See, that's exactly what I said to the woman on the Glengoyne stand (never did get one of those wee water jugs) - I've no idea how you remember all that!

:shock:

I didn't have as many as that (I think) but two that I've written down that aren't there are the Glenfarclas new make, and the Auchentoshan 3-Wood (I actually managed to note down 15).

I think you've pretty much summed it all up there. A great number of stands and just a really well put together event that everyone (who can) should go to.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 18, 2008 5:29 pm

Oh, and great to meet another couple of forum members - Martin Grant and John McGill. Great to meet you both and have a blether!
Deactivated Member

Postby The wee green man » Sun May 18, 2008 5:55 pm

I too attended this event yesterday, and what a day it was! I would like to congratulate Robin and his team for organising a fantastic festival of whisky tasting.

Here is a list of all the drams that I tasted;

Ardbeg Renaissance
Ardbeg 1990
OMC Laphroaig 13yrs
OMC Port Ellen 25yrs
Auchentoshan 18yrs
Bruichladdich "Torrey Pines" 15yrs (new Links series edition)
Bruichladdich Infinity 2
Bunnahabhain 25yrs
Springbank 17yrs (Society bottling)
Glenfarclas 1974, 1977 and 1980 (Family casks)

I also attended the Inverhouse Masterclass hosted by Stuart Harvey, their master blender. He talked us through a tasting of the following Old Pulteney drams;
New Make Spirit
12yrs
17yrs
21yrs
30yrs (not yet released to the retail market - coming out in August limited to 3000 bottles)
1990 Single Cask
1990 Cask Strength

Everyone was very friendly and approachable, sharing lots of information about each brand. I especially enjoyed a chat with George S Grant, Brand Ambassador from Glenfarclas, he was tremendously personable and gave me lots of information about the Family casks
I would highly recommend this day to all whisky enthusiasts and will certainly be back again next year.

Regards to all those who attended

Charlie
The wee green man

Postby Willie JJ » Sun May 18, 2008 6:15 pm

butephoto wrote:two that I've written down that aren't there are the Glenfarclas new make, and the Auchentoshan 3-Wood

Aha! I knew there was something I forgot, well two things actually.

Yes, the 'farclas new make and the Auchentoshan 3-wood. Well done.

Damn, it was a good day. :D
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun May 18, 2008 7:01 pm

Willie and Bobby discussing the Glengoyne 12yo CS:

The venue from the balcony:

Deactivated Member

Postby bobbyb » Sun May 18, 2008 9:41 pm

Agree fantastic event,tried taking notes and gave up!
Missed you all on the train,but woke up in glasgow central with a half eaten sandwich in my pocket.
Can see from the photograph that Willie is a balanced drinker:- one in each hand.

bobbyb
bobbyb

Postby Oiler_Kiwi99 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:02 pm

The good lady and myself made it down and had a great day. These are the drams that I can remember trying in no particular order: -

Glenfarclas Family Cask 1974
Glenfarclas Family Cask 1977
Dalmore 15yo
Dalmore Alexander III 1263
Auld Reekie 10yo
Tomatin 25yo
Tomintoul 27yo
Auchentoshan 18yo
Bowmore 18yo
Ardbeg Reniassance
Lediag 10yo

Favourite was the Ardbeg followed by the Auchentoshan 18yo with the Tomintoul 27yo in 3rd
Oiler_Kiwi99
Bronze Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Sun May 18, 2008 10:51 pm

Sounds and looks like a fantastic event. I will need to make time to visit next year.
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby martin grant » Mon May 19, 2008 9:37 am

Great reports from the day guys.

I also really enjoyed the day. There was a really good atmosphere to the event. Busy, but not to crowded.

I also tried the new Ledaig 10 and must admit to being slightly surprised. Still a touch feinty, but vastly improved on the NAS, from what I remember the Burns Stewart guy told me it would retail for £28 which doesn't seem to bad a price for a 10 year old these days.
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon May 19, 2008 9:45 am

martin grant wrote:from what I remember the Burns Stewart guy told me it would retail for £28 which doesn't seem to bad a price for a 10 year old these days

Well that's certainly a lot more sensible. I take your recollection of that Martin, because it was quite late on when I was talking to him. :wink:

I was really surprised by the improvement over the NAS. Not bad really. Even so we are talking about Ledaig here and I think they will generally struggle to shift that without discounting. Time will tell.
Willie JJ

Previous

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder