Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Visit to St Georges Distillery - Norfolk

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Visit to St Georges Distillery - Norfolk

Postby stanley-g » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:12 pm

Hey all, first post, and I thought you might appreciate some pics of a recent visit that myself and a friend made to the English Whisky Co. distillery (aka St Georges Distillery). I don't know if your forum members do this or not for their own visits, so feel free to move/delete if not appropriate :thumbsup:

Anyway, the pics

Outside of the distillery

Overview of the distilling room

The Wash and Spirit stills (and the Spirit Safe)

The distilled spirit ready to go into the barrels

The larger wine casks containing the spirit

The smaller sherry casks containing the spirit

The tour starts off with a DVD about the distillery, followed by a tour round the stills and how they all work, a look at the underneath of the stills, and a look/taste of the spirit being casked up. Since it is a small distillery and they are only making spirit 3 days out of the week, it is a relatively quick tour (1 hour) and you may not always get a chance to see the stills working - but it is still interesting to see them empty when you have a look inside. The cost of the tour is £4.75, including a taste of the spirit and the flavoured spirits they make (5 in total) which is pretty reasonable.

Since the first spirit was only put into casks in December 2006, the wasn't any of the finished article to try (it will be ready in December '09 to comply with the 3 years maturing rule) but we got to sample the distilled spirit before it went into the barrels - it was a peated version that they are doing a limited run of, around 65-70% abv at the time, but it still tasted pretty nice (I'm only a whisky amateur so can't give you proper notes :wink:)

They sell fruit and cream versions of their spirit in their shop which was nice, as well as around 180 different other whiskies from around the world, along with other merchandise such as glasses/clothing/food etc

Anyway, hope this was of some interest to you, it is a very small distillery (in fact the stills are the smallest you can buy for a distillery, otherwise customs & excise think you are buying them for home use apparently :lol:) but it's worth a visit if you are in the area, if only to say you have visited the only whisky distillery in England :D

http://www.englishwhisky.co.uk/home.html
Last edited by stanley-g on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stanley-g

Re: Visit to St Georges Distillery - Norfolk

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:17 pm

That's excellent Stanley. Welcome to the forum and thanks for your post. I've been looking forward to getting some news about this and am looking forward even more to the spirit becoming available.

Nice shiny stills too. :thumbsup:
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:19 pm

As a newby to the forum myself I'd like to welcome you too. As Wille alludes there's not much info about from St George's so these photos help no end. As far as I know there is a malt/distillery in San Francisco of the same name. Presumably this isn't going to be a problem, but don't know how not.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Ryguy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:24 pm

Stanley,

Welcome to the forum! Thanks for posting the pictures and sharing. It's good to have new information about a new distillery for sure.
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby stanley-g » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:43 pm

Thanks for the welcomes guys

If any of you are in Norfolk it's definitely worth a visit, like I said it's currently the only distillery in England which makes it pretty unique for starters, and since this was my first distillery I've been to I'll alway remember it as well :mrgreen:

Great selection of whiskys in their shop as well, I had to stop myself from buying more than one :lol:
stanley-g

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder