Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

London - Japan V Scotland - April 29th

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

London - Japan V Scotland - April 29th

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:27 am

Japan V Scotland
Tuesday April 29th 2008
The Hide Bar, Bermondsey Street
7.00pm
£20 a ticket

A taste-off between 3 of the best from both countries. In the customary and democratic Whisky Lounge fashion we will be assessing the whiskies blind and then scoring them. We might even find some time for a bit of enjoyment!
Come along and support the cause - keep the Whisky Love alive and kicking! Details of the whiskies to be released asap.
For tickets or enquiries please email me on eddie@thewhiskylounge.com or call 01904 466227.

I look forward to seeing you there!

Slainte!
Eddie
The Whisky Lounge

Re: London - Japan V Scotland - April 29th

Postby woodhill » Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:43 am

I am probably actually (whatever that means) in london around this time, so I may be able to go see what all the fuss is about.

Anyone else going to be there?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:57 am

Would be great to see you - however if you can't make it, I am hosting a similar tasting in Lancaster on the 21st April. We are looking to make this a monthly meet too...
The Whisky Lounge

Postby woodhill » Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:32 pm

Just thought I'd bump this up.

anyone interested?
woodhill
Gold Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:11 pm

Hi everyone,
Just thought anyone thinking of attending, who might need their arm twisting slightly, would like to know that I have just procured (at not inconsiderable cost!)...

Karuizawa Single Cask 1971 (bottled 2007)
This 36 year old has not been reviewed yet by anyone I know of and is brand new to market. As far as I'm aware it is the oldest Japanese whisky currently available and we will be among the first to taste it!
:shock: :D

I will release details of all the whiskies we will be sampling very shortly - I am just waiting to confirm. Should be a great night and I for one am drooling at the thought of the Karuizawa!
Anyone interested, please let me know via email - eddie@thewhiskylounge.com. I look forward to seeing a few of you in the big smoke for a big dram!

Cheers,
Eddie
The Whisky Lounge

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:11 pm

Final list of whiskies we will be sampling on the night...

Ardbeg 1990 'The Beastie'
Dalmore King Alexander III
Karuizawa 1971 Single Cask
Old Pulteney 12 Y.O
Yamazaki 12 Y.O
Yoichi 15 Y.O

Should be a goodie...hope to see you there!

PS. It is the same line up for the Lancaster tasting on Monday.
The Whisky Lounge

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Fri May 02, 2008 10:06 pm

An excellent night was had by all and thanks to all that made it down. Among attendees was none other than Sukhinder Singh of The Whisky Exchange, so the pressure was on!
Just for the record, the scores on the doors (out of 10) were...

Hakushu 12 Y.O 7 3/4
As a late substitution for the Yamazaki 10 Y.O, the Hakushu was tasting very well, with plenty of spicy pear and citrus to boot. Well-balanced but firmer than many an opening dram.
The 'Loungers' present were cagey, however, and gave it an average mark. I thought, personally, that it deserved better but dems is da rules.

Old Pulteney 12 Y.O 6 1/2
So sweet next to the Hakushu with little in the way of complexity it would seem. I have sampled this whisky many times, and I've never known it to 'perform' so weakly. Coconut and vanilla but nothing to reign the sweetness in.

Yoichi 15 Y.O 7 3/4
Ah Yoichi, the same whisky that in 20 Y.O guise won this years WWA best single malt. Classic Sukhinder - 'Have you tried the 20 Y.O Eddie?'...'No, have you got some Sukhinder'...'No, I've sold it all Eddie'. Never mind, the 15 Y.O was superb with the trademark spicy, rich and sappiness coupled to a velvety mouthfeel. Low score though considering...very harsh.

Ardbeg 1990 'The Beastie' 8
This had 'those in the know' quivering and twittering. To be fair, many had it nailed as an Ardbeg from the start. Biscuity and buttery as well as the characteristic rustic peat and orange zest. Never a disappointment.

Dalmore King Alexander III 7 3/4
This had people throwing each other confused glances, the multiple maturation techniques employed by Richard Patterson confusing most. It was supple, smooth and almost too much for the senses - layer upon layer of influence from Port, Madeira, Marsala, Sherry, Bourbon and various other wine cask. Couldn't blame them for being befuddled - I knew what it was and I still was myself!

Karuizawa 1971 Single Cask 8 1/2
I don't mind admitting that I was quite scared of this to begin with. 36 years old and still 64.1%... I felt like I was descending into the depths of some kind of whisky-junkie- dom as the three decades plus of oloroso-matured liquid washed over me. Was it a drug or was it a whisky? I'm still not sure. This is serious stuff and not for the faint of heart - or brain, but you have to try it and at full strength. Falls apart with water, as you will with this. The score was deserved and at altitude might be even higher...

I hope more of you can make it down next time - I appreciate that it is not always easy to trust someone you have never met with the organisation of the good stuff but give me a try sometime if you haven't already. I'm just living the dream and trying to spread the word...
I hope to have some exciting announcements very soon regarding future events so watch this space!

Slainte,
Eddie
The Whisky Lounge

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder