Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WhiskyFest - San Francisco - October 2008

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Re: WhiskyFest - San Francisco - October 2008

Postby bcrossan » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Looks like I am going to come out to this... my first such event and I am excited to live it! :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:18 pm

I'm in...but this time, I'll be more aware of how much whisky I'm sampling. :dead:
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:19 am

mikeymad wrote:
bcrossan wrote:Looks like I am going to come out to this... my first such event and I am excited to live it! :thumbsup:

Very good dcrossan. should not be disappointed based on last years show. Once we get more of a list of people together we will have to see about additional gatherings and 'tasting' sessions...

Cheers,

Good to hear... I am already planning my own tasting of some Irish at Cafe Buena Vista.... man those things go down smooth!! :coffee:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 5:21 am

I think I know the answer but just want to confirm.... can bottles be purchased at this event??
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:58 am

Hey bcrossan...if you want to pick them up while you are here, I can give you a tour of K&L and Beltramos while you're in town.

Let me know...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby WhiskyViking » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:15 am

I recon everybody will be lining up infront of the Macallan-tables:

Some very, very big Macallan news!

Current and past Master Distillers and Managing Directors will each create one unique bottle of Macallan. The contents inside each bottling will be offered one dram at a time to lucky attendees who provide a donation to charity.
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:43 pm

WhiskyViking wrote:I recon everybody will be lining up infront of the Macallan-tables:

Some very, very big Macallan news!

Current and past Master Distillers and Managing Directors will each create one unique bottle of Macallan. The contents inside each bottling will be offered one dram at a time to lucky attendees who provide a donation to charity.

I know I will be!! :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 pm

lohssanami wrote:Hey bcrossan...if you want to pick them up while you are here, I can give you a tour of K&L and Beltramos while you're in town.

Let me know...

Are these the good local whiskey stores?
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby lohssanami » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:21 am

mikeymad wrote:Yes they are, and both are on-line:

http://www.klwines.com/

http://www.beltramos.com/

They are almost walking distance from each other, and if you decide to purchase something at the Fest, you can probably pick it up from the store before you leave. If you would rather put it in your suitcase...
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:40 pm

Good stuff for those going in October!! :thumbsup:

Final Rare Whiskies Line-up for WhiskyFest San Francisco
July 25th, 2008
Here's the final list of rare whiskies being poured for charity at WhiskyFest San Francisco on October 10th, 2008. Attendees at WhiskyFest will have the opportunity to sample these whiskies for a small charitable donation.

Glenfarclas "Family Cask" Vintages:

The Glenlivet Cellar Collection:

The Macallan:

Unique, individual, bottles (bottles 1 of 1) of Macallan created by current and retired Macallan Master Distillers and Managing Directors, listed below.

Bob Dalgarno (current Master Distiller)
Frank Newlands (retired Master Distiller)
Sandy Curle (retired Master Distiller)
Willie Phillips (retired Managing Director)

This will be a very special evening. And given this is only our second WhiskyFest in San Francisco, we don't expect the crowd to be as big as our two other events in New York and Chicago. So, if you can only go to one whisky festival in the U.S. this year, this is the one to go to.

It is our goal to offer similar rare, special whiskies-all for charity-at future WhiskyFests, so stay tuned.

http://www.whiskeypages.com/what-does-john-know.asp
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:17 pm

I just noticed that on the Brandy Library's menu in NYC they have a 1962 Glenlivet Cellar Collection on their menu that runs $450 (2 oz pour). The 1972 is $150. So looks like they will have some good stuff that most people would never pay full price to sample :thumbsup: And after all, its for charity! :mrgreen: :angel:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:54 pm

Ganga wrote:I thought I'd revive the thread. To see what folks will be attending and remind Mikey to post anything about other goings on surrounding this event.

I am coming for sure. Have my tickets, hotel, and airfare already! :thumbsup:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby tmaufer » Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:51 am

I'll be there and would love to meet any readers of my blog. See my .sig for the link. Last year's event was great, and this one's looks to be bigger and better.

BTW, two other whisky retailers are in the city: D&M and John Walker. The latter is in walking distance of the hotel. Links are in my blogroll under the "retail" category.
tmaufer

Postby martin grant » Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:23 am

This event looks like it could be really really good. The list of attendees looks pretty extensive and the chance to try the rare bottlings such as the Glenfarclas and the Macallans especially sounds really special.

Looking forward to reading reports about it after the event.

:thumbsup:
martin grant
Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:29 pm

Ganga wrote:Grrrr. Everything went to *^%$ this week. I won't be able to make it up in October. Sorry gents.

Bummer... it will be tough to enjoy all those malts without you... but I am sure we will work through it :D :D :smoke:
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby azazel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 4:59 pm

I don't suppose any of you guys know of a bar in the San Francisco likely to be showing the Scotland v Norway football match the morning after the festival?
azazel

Postby lohssanami » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:10 pm

We'll toast you too Ganga!

I got my ticket in the mail today, and I'll be there with bells on...well...maybe not bells.
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby randall fairbrook » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:12 am

tim....say hi to forrest and ryan from hi times if you see them there.....he is a BIG guy and ryan is a tall skinny guy..it will be like a cartoon, say hi to them!
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby peergynt323 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:03 pm

I'll be there tomorrow with MikeyMad and company. Looking forward to it. :D
peergynt323
Gold Member

Postby lohssanami » Sat Oct 11, 2008 11:24 pm

Had a great time and my crew met up with Mikeymad for some fun after hours cruising and eating in the city "Falcon" style. Great meatball sandwich from Tommy's!!!

I didn't get to meet up with bcrossan, but I know he had a tight schedule. Actually, we could have bumped into each other without knowing it...lol.

I also met Robin Quivers from the Howard Stern Show. She was very nice, and very accomodating to let us take a picture with her.

Jimmy Russell provided some great conversation and insight into his beginnings with Wild Turkey. It was an honor to meet a man that has been in the business for 55 years, and still going.

Great fun all around!
lohssanami
Double Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:03 pm

lohssanami wrote:Had a great time and my crew met up with Mikeymad for some fun after hours cruising and eating in the city "Falcon" style. Great meatball sandwich from Tommy's!!!

I didn't get to meet up with bcrossan, but I know he had a tight schedule. Actually, we could have bumped into each other without knowing it...lol.

I also met Robin Quivers from the Howard Stern Show. She was very nice, and very accomodating to let us take a picture with her.

Jimmy Russell provided some great conversation and insight into his beginnings with Wild Turkey. It was an honor to meet a man that has been in the business for 55 years, and still going.

Great fun all around!

Sorry I missed you guys Tim (I forgot to bring your cell number with me :oops: :oops: )

But all around a great time. I need to pace myself next time... came out too strong and was not tasting much towards the end :shock:

So was Robin at the show or did you meet her elsewhere? I did not see her :(
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby Laphroaig » Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:39 pm

randall fairbrook wrote:tim....say hi to forrest and ryan from hi times if you see them there.....he is a BIG guy and ryan is a tall skinny guy..it will be like a cartoon, say hi to them!
...had the distinct pleasure of meeting Forrest - great guy. didn't note a Ryan but think a gent named Trayce or Trace was with him.
:thumbsup:
Laphroaig
Bronze Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:45 pm

lawschooldrunk wrote:how does it work with these events? does the entrance fee cover anything you will drink inside or do you have to pay at each booth?

Ticket gets you whatever samples they have at their booth. There were some expections at this one where they had some available for charitable donations. They also had some pretty good food for us most of the night.
bcrossan
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder