Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Dinner at The Arc pub

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whisky Dinner at The Arc pub

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri May 30, 2008 10:56 am

I have been so busy trying to get my pub up and running that my whisky tastings had to take a back seat. I am now combining the two and offering, for the first time, a whisky dinner at The Arc which will be fully prepared by myself and my second cook, "Uncle Nick".

Yes, we had a big dinner during the Munich Whisky Festival, but this was prepared by a professional TV Chef. This one is all on our own :shock:

So, the menu and whiskies aren't yet fully decided, but our preliminary thoughts are for something like:

Aperitif / Welcome dram
An Cnoc 1991, 1993 or Royal Brackla

Starter
Green asparagus served with salad / Bruichladdich Waves or even a Links

Second course
Smoked Salmon and a beef ham or beef carpaccio served with slightly minted, new potatoes / Connemara Cask Strength

Main course
Turkey steak, apricot, peach and apple sauce, cranberries and served with a basmati and wild rice / Glenlivet 18y or Nadurra CS

Dessert
Individual sherry trifle / Mortlach F&F or a Glenfarclas ... or similar

After Dinner
Home-made fudge / Aberlour A'Bunadh

We hope to finalise the offerings in the next week and then details will be posted on the pub and whisky-emporium websites.
Deactivated Member

Re: Whisky Dinner at The Arc pub

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Fri May 30, 2008 2:38 pm

Sounds great Keith ... I wish you all the luck in this very enjoyable sounding venture .....

Nice selection of different whiskies and nice to see the connemara stuck in there.

I hope it is a massive success. :thumbsup:
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat May 31, 2008 1:20 am

I recently tried the Connemara CS and was totally taken aback by its freshness. I expected lots of peat and power, but in reality I found a gentle strength, some peat and a vivid freshness.

This will make an excellent partner for the smoked salmon, light beef and very lightly minted new potatoes.
I am looking forward to the participants' notes on this course.

MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:11 am

I have now finalised the menu for this wonderful evening:

Welcome dram: Tullibardine 1993/13

First course: Green asparagus served with eggs mimosa, rocket and a raspberry vinaigrette.
Old Pulteney, 1996, single cask, G&M

Second course: A duet of smoked salmon and beef ham served with minted new potatoes.
Connemara cask strength

Main course: Turkey breast served with basmati & wild rice and a compote of peach and apricot
Glenlivet Nadurra cask strength

Dessert: Traditional individual sherry trifle
Mortlach 1990-2008 "best sherry casks"

After dinner: Home-made fudge
Aberlour A'Bunadh

This will be on Saturday 5th July and at a very reasonable cost of €48 per person.

But I hope it will go ahead as I have only 2-3 bookings so far.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jun 27, 2008 10:57 am

At the moment, three places reserved.
But I need quite a few more if this is to go ahead.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:51 pm

This event is now cancelled.
Or maybe at best, postponed.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:37 pm

Sad to hear such a special evening is cancelled. I'd guess it's the summer season, and many are away on vacation, or saving for it. But I'll bet you'll be surprised by the attendance if you do at the end of Summer or early Fall. An Ardbeg cheers for the postponement.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:04 am

I am trying again for three weeks time; Sat. 26th July.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:09 am

Once again this event is cancelled :cry:

I am now getting most upset about this. I know it's nothing to do with the forum members, but how come I am now having to cancel any and every whisky event that I try to run? No matter what time of year.

No matter what I do, what price range, tasting or dinner, everyone asks for them, shows interest, but absolutely nobody signs up.

It really seems that anyone else can fill whisky tastings, even here in Munich and at much higher prices than mine.
A local shop runs tastings, he charges a fortune and fills them every time. But mine at the pub are just a no-go.

Those that did attend events in the past all commented on how enjoyable they find my particular style of tasting. More informal, interactive with lots of discussion ... etc....

OK, why do I bother.
(No need to answer that one, it's rhetorical).
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:21 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Once again this event is cancelled :cry:

I am now getting most upset about this. I know it's nothing to do with the forum members, but how come I am now having to cancel any and every whisky event that I try to run? No matter what time of year.

No matter what I do, what price range, tasting or dinner, everyone asks for them, shows interest, but absolutely nobody signs up.

It really seems that anyone else can fill whisky tastings, even here in Munich and at much higher prices than mine.
A local shop runs tastings, he charges a fortune and fills them every time. But mine at the pub are just a no-go.

Those that did attend events in the past all commented on how enjoyable they find my particular style of tasting. More informal, interactive with lots of discussion ... etc....

OK, why do I bother.
(No need to answer that one, it's rhetorical).

Really sorry to hear this Malt-Teaser! I too have found similar results at times when hosting a really special tasting, people don't show even if they've signed up!! My tastings are also quite informal, friendly, approachable and not intimidating, and surprising why they aren't more popular. Don't give up!!! Your whisky enthusiasm is just not being appreciated right now, could you blame summer?? Or maybe your experience has become to experienced for the tasters. Start over maybe, go basic, start easy, and attract those new drinkers that sound like are spending too much elsewhere. Or give those other tastings a try and see what they're doing. Might help a little at least. Good luck, we're all rooting for you!!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:16 am

DB, thanks for the kind words but at the moment I am extremely upset.
I arrange these things but to be honest, I sometimes wonder why. It must be me. Others can make an excellent living from such events, but all I can do is lose money. I need around 10 people just to break even but only ever get between 3 and 6 registered.

I am rather depressed about this and it now looks like my wonderful (ad)venture is about to come to a rather bankrupt end.

:cry:

Good luck to you in your venture.
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby orangedogofglory » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:58 am

MT - I wish you the best!

If you don't mind me offering some ideas/experiences...
A local shop here partners their tastings with the various brand ambassadors. For example, they've had gents from groups like Preiss Imports and Johnnie Walker. They gather a crowd, and some of the ones with unique whiskies, like the one with Mr. Henry Preiss, sell out well in advance of the event.

Another local shop often partners their tastings with restaurants and bars. Perhaps trying to do joint events with the local shops would work? Even if your contribution is principally food, it will bring people in and you can pitch follow up events.

A final idea that the shops do here are regular email updates, sometimes monthly - even the bars do this. That way a lot of people get regular email on upcoming events.

I hope you don't mind me swinging ideas your way - but I hope things go well for you! Fall is coming and the beer gardens will be emptying... into the pubs! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:04 am

Orange,
thanks but much of this I know already.

There is basically one local shop and he uses another bar for tastings.
He charges a fortune and is always full.

My prices are much more attractive and nobody comes to my tastings.
I advertise them everywhere I can.

I speak directly the sales & gastronomy reps from the large companies like Diageo & pernod Ricard who are most helpful, but they are more interested in giving me freebies than actual customers.

Yes Autumn (fall) is coming, but that is almost certainly too late to help.
MT :cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:48 am

Again, sorry to read Malt-Teaser. I hope when you say "now looks like my wonderful (ad)venture is about to come to a rather bankrupt end." I hope you only mean the tastings?? If so, maybe give them a little break, host fewer or have the whiskies you're tasting be completely supported by the individual companies. I'm sure they at least appreciate your tastings.
I once had just 2 people show up for a "Regions" tasting I hosted, so we all sat at the same table and had more of a friendly chat over the whiskies, and the three of us fully enjoyed it. But if it continued this way, I'm sure my boss wouldn't be to happy with the extra staffing in the bar, but at least 2 more people came to drink whisky that otherwise wouldn't have.
Another suggestion is to offer flights or mini tastings whenever The Arc is open. Perhaps you've already tried this too, and it is easier said then done cause then there needs to be good basic knowledge of all the whiskies offered for the flights/tastings by the staff, and that can be tough when there is so much else already keeping them busy. Just an idea. I only wish you the best and a bit of a pickup, my fingers are crossed it's only the summer season that can be blamed. Good luck!
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:50 am

No, I didn't mean just the tastings.

Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:46 am

Malt-Teaser wrote:No, I didn't mean just the tastings.

Really sorry to hear Malt-Teaser.
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:51 am

Yes, thanks. Everyone's sorry.

Just another statistic, probably in more ways than you can imagine right now.

Apart from looking to see if there are any replies to my 'sales' PMs, I'm going offline for the weekend now and depending upon what happens, I may or may not be back.

So far, all monies for sales have been received as of today and the bottles will be in the post tomorrow morning.
'bye
MT
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:Yes, thanks. Everyone's sorry.

Just another statistic, probably in more ways than you can imagine right now.

Apart from looking to see if there are any replies to my 'sales' PMs, I'm going offline for the weekend now and depending upon what happens, I may or may not be back.

So far, all monies for sales have been received as of today and the bottles will be in the post tomorrow morning.
'bye
MT

Understandable a break from here is necessary at times like this, but really hope you will stick around, or be back if there is an absence. I guess it's best now to think everything happens for a reason, whatever the hell the reason is and what it means, and at least you gave it a try Malt-Teaser!!! You have my best!!
Di Blasi

Postby Sherried Malt » Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:19 pm

I have my fingers crossed for you, MT.

Good luck!!
Sherried Malt
Double Gold Member

Postby LeoDLion » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 pm

Oh if I were close by I will be the first to sign up. Nothing better than whisky and food. But alas Munich is soooo far away.
How about join the tasting from the other place that you said is always filled up. Find out what exactly do they come in there for. Are they repeat customers? Do they know each other? Is there food involved or just tasting? Mingle, converse and market a bit of your own too.
LeoDLion
Gold Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:23 pm

Best of luck, MT. I'd be there if I was in Munich. I haven't been to the city for a few years now, but am really looking forward to when I do. Hopefully things will start to look up. Sometimes these things just have to reach critical mass before they take off.
Aidan

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:35 pm

Yes, best of luck Malty! I'm sure it's just a summer phenomenon. I used to work as a waiter in my days at university. Some of the summer weekdays we had to send employees home because there simply wasn't enough work. I remember selling only a bottle of Coca Cola Light an evening. Big sports events also affected the sale negatively. Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon!
:thumbsup:
Mr Fjeld

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:25 am

It is a Summer phenonemom, but one I may not get through.
I still have to pay the bills and the rent, which is impossible at the moment with the current turnover.
MT
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder