Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Welcome to CAFE HERMAN

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Re: Welcome to CAFE HERMAN

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:32 pm

WhiskyViking wrote:Pictures of the bottle it self is available here:
Highland Park Dr.Jekyll's Edition

The price is around £90 for those who are interested...

BTT: Good luck on the whisky selection and sales in your bar Good Sir.

Thanks for the link with fotos WhiskyViking! I feel even luckier realizing they were posted over a week ago. I'm surprised it hasn't sold out yet, but I'm sure they will sell out soon, and I'll regret not getting myself a personal bottle (or two!) to enjoy.
And thanks for sending luck my way with the whisky selection and sales. Really looking forward to the locals enjoying the selection, and for you and others in Norway and all over really, coming to enjoy the whisky!
I'm now slowly deciding on the selection which will be fairly constant, standard bottlings which rarely change etc, and a "revolving" selection which is a bit more limited and exclusive, and keeping prices in a range that is affordable, making a visit worthwhile and rewarding.
Di Blasi
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby John McGill » Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:42 am

Would anyone in Norway be willing to pickup one of the Highland Park Dr.Jekyll's Edition and ship it to the UK for me? (no harm in asking :D )
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:52 pm

John McGill wrote:Would anyone in Norway be willing to pickup one of the Highland Park Dr.Jekyll's Edition and ship it to the UK for me? (no harm in asking :D )

No harm in asking is right John! And I'd do it for you gladly if it wasn't an issue mailing liquids or alcohol out of Norway. If I had plans of leaving the country, I could get it and send it, but sorry, no chance there either unfortunately. Maybe someone else here could help or has other helpful ideas?? :?
Di Blasi

Postby Newbie » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:54 pm

Cask #1556 - looks like this is the sister cask to the Oddbins 12yo Bottling cask #1555. But at £90 thats more than double the price of the Oddbins bottling!
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:08 pm

Newbie wrote:Cask #1556 - looks like this is the sister cask to the Oddbins 12yo Bottling cask #1555. But at £90 thats more than double the price of the Oddbins bottling!

Could be the Norwegian taxes?? :?
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:49 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
Newbie wrote:Cask #1556 - looks like this is the sister cask to the Oddbins 12yo Bottling cask #1555. But at £90 thats more than double the price of the Oddbins bottling!

Could be the Norwegian taxes?? :?

But think of all that luvverly munny you'd get for it on Ebay. It'll only go up and up. A graahnd by the end of the year - why not?

Avvabanana.
Deactivated Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:07 pm

Highland Park does get my vote for collectability indeed, and it seems now to be going down that road recently. (Sorry Nick Brown!!!!)
But either way, I'll have it on the shelf for drinking, and as affordable as I can make it so people can enjoy it. It's really really good!!
Di Blasi

Postby John McGill » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:37 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
John McGill wrote:Would anyone in Norway be willing to pickup one of the Highland Park Dr.Jekyll's Edition and ship it to the UK for me? (no harm in asking :D )

No harm in asking is right John! And I'd do it for you gladly if it wasn't an issue mailing liquids or alcohol out of Norway. If I had plans of leaving the country, I could get it and send it, but sorry, no chance there either unfortunately. Maybe someone else here could help or has other helpful ideas?? :?

I've found someone from Norway who will be visiting the UK this month and they've volunteered (ok I bullied them into it :) ) to bring me a bottle if I can sort out getting the bottle to them in time :D
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:10 pm

Excellent to hear John, hope it works out! Let me know if I can help out.
Di Blasi

Postby WhiskyViking » Sat Jul 05, 2008 6:57 pm

John, you've got a PM.
WhiskyViking
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:25 am

My ordered Highland Park single cask "Dr. Jekyll's" arrived today, yipee! Herman's happy too, can hardly wait to serve it! No, haven't opened it yet to taste it, not sure I will til we actually open, we'll see! And I'm still considering getting myself one, we'll see.
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:42 am

Di Blasi wrote:My ordered Highland Park single cask "Dr. Jekyll's" arrived today, yipee! Herman's happy too, can hardly wait to serve it! No, haven't opened it yet to taste it, not sure I will til we actually open, we'll see! And I'm still considering getting myself one, we'll see.

Very nice Jonathan :thumbsup: How about a picture?
Mr Fjeld

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:28 pm

Mr Fjeld wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:My ordered Highland Park single cask "Dr. Jekyll's" arrived today, yipee! Herman's happy too, can hardly wait to serve it! No, haven't opened it yet to taste it, not sure I will til we actually open, we'll see! And I'm still considering getting myself one, we'll see.

Very nice Jonathan :thumbsup: How about a picture?

Gonna try and post a foto a bit later Mr Fjeld!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:40 pm

Here's the foto, from a phone camera so apologies if the quality isn't the best.
Attachments
Jekyll's Highland Park.jpg
Highland Park Single Cask #1556 for Dr. Jekyll's Pub in Oslo
Jekyll's Highland Park.jpg (529.84 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:54 pm

A little big there, sorry, haven't uploaded many fotos and not sure the best way to do it!
Di Blasi

Postby Mr Fjeld » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:21 pm

From what I can see - and that's not a lot hehe, it's a nice looking bottle! Congratulations Jonathan, I hope to taste in Cafe Herman someday!
Mr Fjeld

Postby John McGill » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Suitably resized :)

John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:06 am

Thanks John M! Did you get your hands on one then too??
Di Blasi

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:22 am

Oi, De Blasi you rogue. Gerroff my kitchen units!
I wondered who had nicked them.

:lol: :P :lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby John McGill » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:31 pm

Di Blasi wrote:Thanks John M! Did you get your hands on one then too??

Still working on it but yes, hopefully I'll have one soon :D
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:51 am

Glad to hear that John, I think you'll be happy with it, looking forward to reading your tasting notes!
Malt-Teaser, you totally lost me there with "Geroff."
:? ??
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 pm

Exciting news to report today, our chef hunt is over! After searching all over Europe, Cafe Herman's chef will arrive to Norway on the 14th of August from Germany. We found him with the help of a friend living here in Leikanger that's from over there. He, like us, appreciates and prefers quality over quantity, so I think we're on the right track and getting started on the right foot.
With the new chef in place we now have one less thing to worry about. And that helps cause of all of the other things going on, like getting our signs made for the walls outside, deciding on all the plates, dishes, silverware, pots and pans, and of course whisky glassware! And the growing whisky list!
Di Blasi

Postby Ryguy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:00 pm

Great news Di Blasi!! Best of luck to you! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby kildalton » Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:59 pm

yep great new, I'm a bit late :mrgreen: but best luck to You! If I come in Norway I'll surely pay a visit to You!
kildalton
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:13 am

Di Blasi wrote:Glad to hear that John, I think you'll be happy with it, looking forward to reading your tasting notes!

Jonathen, what does it sound like?

Your kitchen units are exactly the same as mine at home.
MT

:lol:
Deactivated Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:22 am

John McGill wrote:Suitably resized :)

It looks very similar to Oddbins Cask 1555 60.6% released last year. In fact I've just seen yours is cask 1556. Both 12 year olds from 1995.
les taylor

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:07 pm

Malt-Teaser wrote:
Di Blasi wrote:Glad to hear that John, I think you'll be happy with it, looking forward to reading your tasting notes!

Jonathen, what does it sound like?

Your kitchen units are exactly the same as mine at home.
MT

I figured something like that! Not my choosing, but I do like the windowed glass cupboard hidden behind the bottle, lots of space for my glassware!!
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:12 pm

les taylor wrote:

It looks very similar to Oddbins Cask 1555 60.6% released last year. In fact I've just seen yours is cask 1556. Both 12 year olds from 1995.

Do you have that Oddbins bottling Les?? I wonder how it is, cause this one is spectacular!! They must be twins these 2 bottlings.
Di Blasi

Postby Di Blasi » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:42 pm

Just a quick hello and update from Herman!
Things are moving along nicely, busy busy as you can imagine, organizing, ordering, and lining everything up and the plan is still to open on Monday the 1st of September.
Finally this week I have spoken with the company building us the bar, after attempting to contact him via phone and email for a month, with no response! The excuse I guess is July in Norway is the vacation month. He's now ready to visit Herman Friday for final measurements and all those nooks, crannies, and details necessary for me to operate efficiently.
Had a wonderful 2 hours and 45 minutes over Skype with the chef whom arrives in about 10 days. We discussed all those things needed in the kitchen, and his enthusiasm, flexibility, experience and professionalism continue to shine! Fingers crossed the kitchen is delivered on schedule, the 15th of August. The bar can't go in until the kitchen does!
I'll be wiring the cables for the speakers with the landlord, lucky he knows what we're doing! I'm planning on 6 total, 1 of them in the bathroom area! And each controlled individually!
Yes, things are moving along. Really looking forward to posting a website link when it's up, so you can all see some fotos and get a better idea of Herman.
Di Blasi

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:12 am

Di Blasi wrote:
les taylor wrote:

Do you have that Oddbins bottling Les?? I wonder how it is, cause this one is spectacular!! They must be twins these 2 bottlings.

The Oddbins bottling is also spectacular Jonathan, so they may well be twins.

Sounds like Cafe Herman is coming along nicely :thumbsup:

Cheers
Willie JJ

Postby orangedogofglory » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:10 am

Di Blasi wrote:Really looking forward to posting a website link when it's up, so you can all see some fotos and get a better idea of Herman.

We're looking forward to it too! Best of luck on the "final" preparations!
orangedogofglory
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:10 pm

More good news from Cafe Herman this evening! Our chef has arrived today, (from Leipzig, Germany, only a 19 hour drive folks, so those planning on visiting, start planning!) and our first meeting was very good! I think we're gonna make a great team, as he seems very easy going, and ready to cook up a storm!
Still planning on opening September 1st, and though there is still quite a bit to do, we should be able to make it.
The bar will be installed either Monday or Tuesday, that will be nice!
:thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby randall fairbrook » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:15 am

this is most wonderful news........i look forward to sharing a pour with you one of these days in your own place...
randall fairbrook
Gold Member

Postby Di Blasi » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:56 am

randall fairbrook wrote:this is most wonderful news........i look forward to sharing a pour with you one of these days in your own place...

Good thinking randall! Bring the others and make it a California reunion in Leikanger! It would be great to have you guys visit! And everyone else too!! :thumbsup:
Di Blasi

Postby Ganga » Wed Aug 20, 2008 5:29 pm

Di Blasi wrote:
randall fairbrook wrote:this is most wonderful news........i look forward to sharing a pour with you one of these days in your own place...

Good thinking randall! Bring the others and make it a California reunion in Leikanger! It would be great to have you guys visit! And everyone else too!! :thumbsup:

I can see it now:

DB: "Hello, is this the extermitor?"
EX: "Yes. How may I help you?"
DB: "I've got an ifestation of Californians. What do I do?"

Ganga
Matured cask

PreviousNext

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder