Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

First ever live WebTV broadcast from inside a distillery

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Postby Matt2 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:03 pm

A rare trip into Whisky heaven
Chat date: Wednesday 18th June 2008
Chat time: 8pm

When distillers Laphroaig launched their first ever live online whisky tasting, an army of malt fans from around the world made it the largest interactive event of its kind.

From New Zealand to Sweden, New York to Sydney, thousands of you watched the live WebTV show in London and mailed in hundreds of questions to the eminent panel of distillers, connoisseurs and writers.

Now you have the chance to join in an even bigger event live from the Laphroaig distillery on the Scottish island of Islay. The distillery sits on the South coast of the island with views of both Scotland and Ireland and the show will be broadcast from inside the distillery's original bonded warehouse number one - normally only accessible to distillery staff and customs officers.

So if you love whisky but are keen to know more about those wonderful single malts and how they are blended to taste so good we have a treat for you this evening. Master blender Robert Hicks and Distillery Manager John Campbell will host an exclusive tasting session, which includes four Laphroaig malts, the highlight being a new Quarter Cask triple wood, drawn and tasted live from a sherry cask.

They will be joined by writer Martine Nouet, Keeper of the Quaich, and if you want to know what that means you will need to join the live show to find out.

Our guests will take you through all the finer points of getting the best out of a single malt whisky, from the colour, weight and nose to the all important taste and finish. How much water, if any, should you add to your glass? What do the aromas tell you about the whisky? Which flavours and textures should you be expecting as the whisky hits your palate?

Robert Hicks, Laphroaig's Master Blender, John Campbell, Distillery Manager, and whisky writer Martine Nouet join us live online at http://www.webchats.tv/chats/FoodAndDri ... skyheaven/ on Wednesday 18th June at 8pm for a live whisky tasting.

Click here to submit questions before the chat http://www.webchats.tv/chats/FoodAndDri ... skyheaven/

For more information visit http://www.Laphroaig.com/live <http://www.laphroaig.com/live>
Matt2

Re: First ever live WebTV broadcast from inside a distillery

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:23 pm

Thanks for the reminder Matt, I was aware that it was on and enjoyed the last one. With the euros on I forgot about it. So it's a good reminder to drop in on it. :thumbsup:
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:37 pm

Very cool. I have a training class at that time. But I will try to catch the end of the session....

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby mikeymad » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:48 pm

Man!!! I tried to login but my work blocks the sight.... I hope that I will be able to watch it sometime later.

Cheers,
mikeymad

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:52 pm

Def worth checking out later Mikey. Oh boy, would I love to be in that warehouse with them right now :shock: :shock:
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby les taylor » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:13 pm

What a fabulous program. I enjoyed every minute. The enthusiasm really came through. I'd love to try the 30 year old Cairdeas :thumbsup:
les taylor

Postby Ryguy » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:21 pm

I agree Les, sure sounds/looks good. :D :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby John McGill » Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:25 pm

I'd agree - a very interesting broadcast.

A few interesting snippets for those that might not have caught the broadcast.

Despite what it says on the carton the recent Cairdeas bottling isn't artificially coloured - the carton was mis-printed.

There's to be a special 21 YO 'friends' bottling for our American cousins sometime in the fall and this will be limited to approx. 1420 bottles

Cairdeas 30 is on the way but no mention of price.
John McGill
Bronze Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:03 pm

Amazing program!.
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Postby sampaiocaleia » Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I would like to have home, a cask and a valinch, and every day a have a dram straight from the cask.
That we'll be paradaise!
sampaiocaleia
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder