Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky Lounge tasting, Lancaster

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Whisky Lounge tasting, Lancaster

Postby r900p » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:07 am

I went to the Whisky Lounge tasting in Lancaster last night, after Gordon said the York one was brilliant i thought i'd pop in, the only problem is i'm very tired now!

Anyway had a brilliant evening, very relaxed and informal. What i was surprised to see was the majority of people below the age of 30, i think two were over this.

The evening was a head to head, Ireland vs Scotland. Started off with a talk about Scotland nicking whisky and perfecting the art of distilling on a larger scale, and being able to provide for the masses in the US.

We tried;

Longmorn 92 BB, 46%
Jameson '1780' 12 40%
Tyrconnelm 10yr Maderira finish 46%
Glenmornangie 15 Sauternes Finish 46%
Bowmore 17
Connemara Cask Strength 57.9%.

The Bowmore and Connemara won the evening for me. Glenmorangie was :yuk: so perfumery, on our table of 6, 4 of these Glenmo drams had attracted flies to commit suicide, we figured it mst have been the perfume.

Overall Ireland won by, i think 7.4 for Ireland and 7 for Scotland, the Glenmo really brought the Scottish down.

If you get a chance to go to one of these worth every penny, i'll be back.

Eddie the organiser is looking to sort tastings elsewhere, Manchester being one area, if there is the demand this could go ahead, pm me please or email eddie.

http://www.whiskylounge.com

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Re: Whisky Lounge tasting, Lancaster

Postby TreacleSponge » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:00 pm

I was there too :) By my incredible powers of deduction, I deduce that if it was your first time and you had suicidal flies dive-bombing your Glenmorangies, I spoke with you - were you with your brother and a gentleman who was one of the over-30-yr-olds ?
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby r900p » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:18 pm

We were the suits! I was with my Father in his 50s he wouldn't complian at being 30! And an old school friend who was back from Uni. So were you sat on our table then? The others chaps on our table we met up in York the other week, boy i think they were drunk! Flies were there too, really didn;t like the Glenmo, Connemara still remains out favourite.

Rob
r900p
Double Gold Member

Postby TreacleSponge » Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:11 pm

Cool, yes I was at your table, I'll introduce myself properly next time then! And yes, the Connemara was great! I didn't like the Bowmore but I've always found Bowmores have a salty-perfumy thing going on that I can't get along with so I think I was expecting to dislike it anyway :yuk:
TreacleSponge
Gold Member

Postby The Whisky Lounge » Mon Oct 13, 2008 4:24 pm

I take it you will both be present on Wednesday from this?!

Tickets still available - be good to see a few more of you there.

The Balvenie,
Wednesday 15th October, 7.30pm
The Sun Hotel, Lancaster
£15 per person

See main thread for further info.

Cheers,
Eddie
The Whisky Lounge

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder