Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Inverness Drams

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Inverness Drams

Postby jmrl » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:39 pm

7.30 Wednesday 3rd September The Tollbooth Tavern, Royal Mile Edinburgh

Glen Albyn 15yo 43% one of 120 bottles bottled by Royal Mile Whiskies in 1996

Ord 12yo Bourbon hogshead cask strength Cadenheads

Glen Mhor 1980 43% Gordon & Macphail

Millburn 31yo Bourbon hogshead cask strength Cadenheads

Royal Brackla 12yo Bourbon Hogshead cask strength Cadenheads

£21.50/£17.50* or posted out for about £3.50 P&P

* members discount - membership = £10 for year1, £5 for year2 then free

phone 0131 556 5864 Mon. - Sat. 10.30 - 5.30 for tickets
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Inverness Drams

Postby Willie JJ » Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:03 am

jmrl wrote:£21.50/£17.50* or posted out for about £3.50 P&P

I'm thinking that you mean posted out for an additional £3.50. If not I'll have ten sets please. :D
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm

Its not how I said it, it is what I said. Thanks Willy. Indeed If anybody is up on trades description etc, E&OE! :oops: :oops:
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:12 am

Just back from another of Mark's excellent Cadenheads tastings over on the Royal Mile - thanks Mark.

Can't help but ponder the fact that all 3 of the original Inverness distilleries at the heart of tonight's tasting are no more - Glen Albyn, Glen Mhor and Millburn - all early 19th century distilleries closed in the 80's downturn, considered too small or marginal to be of use or having no potential for development - what a loss. With all the hype about new distilleries opening at the moment (which is of course welcome), we should spare a thought for these classic distilleries - it is a crime that they are lost.

I scored drams from all 3 at least 8/10 tonight - all 3 had something different to offer. A town the size and location of Inverness with no distillery is a crime.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:57 am

The trouble with the Inverness distilleries was that their sites were too valuable. Inverness expanded rapidly from the early 1980s and their sites were ripe for redevelopment. It's a bit like the Rosebank and St Magdalene sites - worth too much to waste on distilling, particularly when there were too many distilleries in Scotland. But the distilleries just outside Inverness - Glen Ord, for example - continue to thrive.
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Last night???

I thought it was tonight.

:oops: :headbang:
Deactivated Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:51 pm

Butephoto,
It was definately last night and I had the headache this morning to prove it. Excellent night.

Nick - I agree with your comments above. The other factor Rosebank had going against it was that SMD had 2 lowland distilleries in their portfolio and only needed one during the slump......so, they plumped for Glenkinchie and made this the lowlander in their classic 6, rather than Rosebank.

Oh well, I guess we will have to wait and see if the new Rosebank ever comes to anything.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby Willie JJ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:06 pm

Rosebankfan wrote:It was definately last night and I had the headache this morning to prove it.

Oh yeah, I had one of those too. Damn it was a good night. There were a lot of interesting extras at the end. :D
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:08 pm

Rosebankfan wrote:The other factor Rosebank had going against it was that SMD had 2 lowland distilleries in their portfolio and only needed one during the slump......so, they plumped for Glenkinchie and made this the lowlander in their classic 6, rather than Rosebank.

And, would you Adam and Eve it, Glenkinchie is in a field in the middle of nowhere? It's sad that the decision between the two distilleries was so obviously taken on the basis of redevelopment value rather than quality of product.
Deactivated Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:00 pm

Wish I'd been there!!

Unfortunately I was in Inverness!! :cry:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 pm

I think I just assumed that the tastings were always on a Thursday.

:cry:
Deactivated Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:34 pm

butephoto wrote:I think I just assumed that the tastings were always on a Thursday.

:cry:

Mark made some of the tastings on Wednesdays and some on Thursdays as not everyone could make the same night each time due to work commitments etc.

Hey Willie - don't tell me you guys finished off that lovely Ardmore that Chris had - very nice. One of our guys, Hugh, fell asleep on the train and we were tempted to relieve him of his Tomintoul-Glenlivet. Must admit I was a bit surprised by that particular bottling - I know it is historical but how far can you actually stretch the Glenlivet connection - from memory Tomintoul is some distance away.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby Deactivated Member » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:46 pm

Rosebankfan wrote:I know it is historical but how far can you actually stretch the Glenlivet connection - from memory Tomintoul is some distance away.

I believe the answer is Edradour-Glenlivet
Deactivated Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:51 am

Nick Brown wrote:
Rosebankfan wrote:I know it is historical but how far can you actually stretch the Glenlivet connection - from memory Tomintoul is some distance away.

I believe the answer is Edradour-Glenlivet

Really ? - I've never heard of that particular beast - have you seen/tried it or is it one from the history books ?.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby Deactivated Member » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:29 am

I'd heard of Edradour-Glenlivet as the extreme example from Laura at the SMWS. Apparently it was a long, long time ago and led to efforts to clamp down on the use of the name Glenlivet. Glenlivet had become known as the longest glen in Scotland.
Deactivated Member

Postby Newbie » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:15 pm

Any idea of when and what the next tasting is?
Gold Member

Postby Leither » Fri Sep 05, 2008 5:04 pm

I think it's Thursday 25th September, but Mark would be best to confirm.

I'm looking forward to it as I missed this weeks due to rugby commitments.
Leither
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:43 pm

Indeedly the next tasting is THURSDAY (OK Butephoto?) 25th September. I plan to use:-

Bladnoch 6yo 56.9% sherrywood

Green Spot Irish pot still 40%

'Two of Clubs' 7yo Hanyu Japanese single malt 57% Japanese oak finish

North of Scotland single grain 36yo 51.1% (figures from memory) MWBH

Ledaig 11yo cask strength Cadenheads

and a mystery dram.

Rosebankfan you scored the Suntory 8 out of 10. Was this a mistake?

Star of the raffle 50yo Glenlivet from G&M, low point of raffle was Mekong.

Remember Onefortheditch I can post the drams out, not quite the same I know but better than a pint of Tennents in what was Millburn distillery, whats it called now?
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:29 pm

Rosebankfan wrote:Hey Willie - don't tell me you guys finished off that lovely Ardmore that Chris had - very nice.

We didn't finish it Scott, but Chris was typically generous with it. it was good though wasn't it? :D

Nick Brown wrote:I'd heard of Edradour-Glenlivet as the extreme example from Laura at the SMWS. Apparently it was a long, long time ago and led to efforts to clamp down on the use of the name Glenlivet. Glenlivet had become known as the longest glen in Scotland.

I've heard that too. In fact I'm sure I've seen it in print, although the source escapes me at the moment.
Willie JJ

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:14 pm

jmrl wrote:Indeedly the next tasting is THURSDAY (OK Butephoto?) 25th September. I plan to use:-

Bladnoch 6yo 56.9% sherrywood

Green Spot Irish pot still 40%

'Two of Clubs' 7yo Hanyu Japanese single malt 57% Japanese oak finish

North of Scotland single grain 36yo 51.1% (figures from memory) MWBH

Ledaig 11yo cask strength Cadenheads

and a mystery dram.

Rosebankfan you scored the Suntory 8 out of 10. Was this a mistake?

Star of the raffle 50yo Glenlivet from G&M, low point of raffle was Mekong.

Remember Onefortheditch I can post the drams out, not quite the same I know but better than a pint of Tennents in what was Millburn distillery, whats it called now?

See! Thursday!

I swear you chucked in a Wednesday just to keep us weegies away from the capital, dirty sods that we are...
Deactivated Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sat Sep 06, 2008 4:15 pm

I've added it to my Google Calendar and it will email me 2 days before the event to remind me. The wonders of modern technology, eh?
Deactivated Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:00 pm

jmrl wrote:Rosebankfan you scored the Suntory 8 out of 10. Was this a mistake?

jmrl - I didn't actually score the Suntory as this was presented as an extra dram, so my drams 1-5 on the scoresheet were the 5 Inverness ones in the order served - hope that makes sense. If pushed for a score, I'd give the Suntory 4/10 as a vodka - it was incredibly spirity, like vodka with some caramel for colour (although it could equally have been gravy browning) - not good. We'll have to take Bruce aside and give him some "coaching and counselling" - with a big stick.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby Willie JJ » Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:26 pm

Rosebankfan wrote: We'll have to take Bruce aside and give him some "coaching and counselling" - with a big stick.

Given that the Suntory was a donation I think that counselling with a big stick would be a bit harsh. Mind you I expect some have wanted to counsel me for donating the Ankara Malt. :)
Willie JJ

Postby Rosebankfan » Sat Sep 06, 2008 9:46 pm

Willie JJ wrote:Given that the Suntory was a donation I think that counselling with a big stick would be a bit harsh

Right enough Willie - so a small stick it is then. He's down in Whitby at the moment on a boy's weekend, so I've just texted him to make sure they are behaving themselves - somehow I think a few drams will be getting consumed.......I'm on call so nothing for me this weekend I'm afraid.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Postby jmrl » Sat Sep 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Scott your open interpretation of the scoring sheet has made a bigger mess of my results than the last Scottish Parliament votes. Luckily both are meaningless. Do you think Bruce will come back with some other 'exotic' distillation? So far he has got Mekong and Wasmund's Rapahannock to beat. I have faith.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Rosebankfan » Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:05 am

jmrl wrote:Scott your open interpretation of the scoring sheet has made a bigger mess of my results than the last Scottish Parliament votes.

Mark,
Many apologies for messing up your results - see what happens when you ask a scientist to do something vaguely scientific ?.

Brucey boy is always full of surprises so anything is possible. Surprised he hasn't offered you the Kelt Tour du Monde yet - the Scotch "mellowed by the waves of the oceans". This is a Scotch that has been on an around the world voyage in the belief that, and I quote, "the rolling of the sea, temperature variations, frequent air pressure changes and the sea air itself, rounds the spirit off in a beautiful way". I'll mention it to him whan I see him next week.

Rosebankfan
Rosebankfan

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder