Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

London Tastings with Royal Mile Whiskies

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

London Tastings with Royal Mile Whiskies

Postby Mattt » Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi Everyone,

Thought you might like to know that our London shop is now offering a programme of tastings throughout Autumn, starting on Sept 11th.

We have a range of tastings geared to all levels of experience so everyone's welcome. We've got some great whiskies lined up for this.

Click on the link for more details.
http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/category.asp?cat_id=S_LON

Hope to see you there!

Apologies for the shameless plug btw, hope that's not regarded as poor form round these parts.

Mattt RMW
Mattt

Re: London Tastings with Royal Mile Whiskies

Postby MGillespie » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:18 pm

I've added all of the events to the calendar at the WhiskyCast web site, Matt...

Mark
MGillespie
Double Gold Member

Postby DanAir » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:01 pm

Welcome to the forums Mattt, I'm a regular in the London shop - are you based there? If so I'll be sure to introduce myself next time I pop in.

It certainly isn't a problem in my book for you to plug the tastings here, but I hope you'll stick around as a forum regular - I'm sure you've got a lot to offer the community.
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Mattt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:41 pm

MGillespie wrote:I've added all of the events to the calendar at the WhiskyCast web site, Matt...

Mark

Thanks Mark, much appreciated!

Mattt
Mattt

Postby Mattt » Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:05 pm

DanAir wrote:Welcome to the forums Mattt, I'm a regular in the London shop - are you based there? If so I'll be sure to introduce myself next time I pop in.

It certainly isn't a problem in my book for you to plug the tastings here, but I hope you'll stick around as a forum regular - I'm sure you've got a lot to offer the community.

Thanks for the welcome,

Yes I'm based at the London shop, Assistant Manager. If you're one of our regulars I'd be very surprised if we haven't already met as I'm in most days. See you soon I hope!

I'm sure i'll be on the forum every now and then with my two cents..

Mattt
Mattt

Postby Wave » Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:28 pm

Welcome to the WMF Matt

We probably haven't met face to face unless you've been to the Edinburgh branch though I believe we've conversed via e-mail from past on-line orders (phatzwave), the most recent being about the Port Ellen Sig cask# 2844.

Cheers! :thumbsup:
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:53 pm

Hi Mattt
I'm not a frequenter of the London shop as the Edinburgh one is on my doorstep, but I do see these tastings as a great idea.

What would really help us (and no doubt wouldn't hurt sales) is to give us an honest post-tasting review of what the audience thought of the drams on offer. I know one local tasting organiser who asks for votes so that we can see where the consensus lies. For me this doesn't guarantee that I am going to buy a dram that I find stellar, but (and I do buy a lot of whisky) it does help me to avoid the dogs.

Nobody minds you making a plug round here, but genuine feedback on the tastings would make your contribution extremely valuable. I know that would be significant work for you but we really would appreciate it.

In any case, good luck with the tastings. I've looked at the proposed line-ups and they seem like they will be fun. I probably will only have to try the new Dormant Distillery Port Ellen once more before I commit to a bottle.

Cheers
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Mattt » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:21 pm

Willie JJ wrote:What would really help us (and no doubt wouldn't hurt sales) is to give us an honest post-tasting review of what the audience thought of the drams on offer. I know one local tasting organiser who asks for votes so that we can see where the consensus lies. For me this doesn't guarantee that I am going to buy a dram that I find stellar, but (and I do buy a lot of whisky) it does help me to avoid the dogs.

Not sure if there's going to be any votes but i should have an idea of what whiskies went down well during the evening. I'll pop on here occasionally and let you know.
Mattt

Postby Mattt » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:39 pm

It may be worth me mentioning that places on these tastings are pretty limited so you need to get your skates on if you're interested in coming along and you need to book in advance either through our website or in the london shop.

See you there!

Mattt
Mattt

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:01 pm

Just glanced at the tastings planned for the rest of 2008.

I few things struck me. I intend these to be very much 'constructive' comments.

Mid-week tastings are perhaps OK for those living close to Central London. But, it'd be more attractive to out-of-towners such as myself (Milton Keynes) if they were instead on say a Friday.

Unless 'very generous' measures are going to be offered, the price points for some of the tastings involving 'more common' drams are perhaps a bit steep - especially if the aim is to encourage new custom to the shop.

It'd perhaps be good to have an optional 'meal deal' (ie a cut price bolt-on pub food offering).
Deactivated Member

Postby Mattt » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:10 am

Hello again,

As suggested, I thought i'd let you know how the whiskies were received in our first couple of tastings.

For our first tasting we tried Auchentoshan Classic, Glen Ord 12, Balvenie Dblw 12, Springbank 10, Highland Park 12 and Ardbeg 10. Votes were spread pretty evenly amonst the 6 whiskies but I think the HP12 and the Ardbeg were equal, favourites.

Second tasting consisted of Littlemill 12, Benromach Organic, Glencadam 1974 - 97 CC G&M, Mortlach 16 F&F, Benriach 21 and Longrow CV. The Benriach seemed to be most peoples favourite followed by the Mortlach and then the Glencadam.

Anyway, the next one should be good, Brora, Port Ellen, St Maggie, Dallas Dhu etc etc.... Yum yum.

See you there, 23rd Oct.

Mattt
Mattt

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder