Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Steve McCarthy of Clear Creek in Boston

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Steve McCarthy of Clear Creek in Boston

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:18 pm

Joe Howell of Federal Wine & Spirits will present a masterclass with Steve McCarthy of Clear Creek Distillery at the Omni Parker House in Boston, Friday, September 26, at 7:00pm. Clear Creek makes excellent brandies and eaux-de-vie, as well as the well-peated McCarthy's Oregon Single Malt Whiskey. More info can be found here. As well, there is a superbly-written and exquisitely-photographed report on a visit to the distillery here. (Yeah, it's my website. 8) )
Deactivated Member

Re: Steve McCarthy of Clear Creek in Boston

Postby peat-chaser » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:27 pm

The McCarthy´is a very funny kind of bastard, made in oregon with malt from port ellen maltings on islay. Once we had it as a blind-dram in a tasting and nobody could tell it apart from an islaymalt. Just it´s rather expensive here in germany and it´s still just three years of age, but worth trying every time ....
:wink:
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:50 pm

Actually, the malt is from Baird's of Inverness, the same source as PC and Octomore. Mine is not really the palate to judge, but I think the similarity to those malts shows. That could easily be the youth, though, rather than the malt source.
Deactivated Member

Postby peat-chaser » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:46 am

Well, I didn´t doublecheck the malt source, I just repeated what I was told on the tasting.
peat-chaser
Bronze Member

Postby Deactivated Member » Sun Sep 21, 2008 3:59 am

peat-chaser wrote:Well, I didn´t doublecheck the malt source, I just repeated what I was told on the tasting.

You didn't read my superbly-written and exquisitely-photographed report, either! :D If it makes you feel any better, when I asked McCarthy the same question, he didn't know himself, and had to go check.
Deactivated Member

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder