Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Ardbeg @ The Whisky Exchange 13th October 2008

Please tell us about any events coming up, or review events you have been to recently.

Ardbeg @ The Whisky Exchange 13th October 2008

Postby Derek in london » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:18 pm

I've managed to get a place on an Ardbeg event with Micky Heads at the Whisky Exchange in London on the 13th October. :thumbsup:

This is going to be my first tasting.

I can hardly wait :D
Derek in london

Re: Ardbeg @ The Whisky Exchange 13th October 2008

Postby Ryguy » Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:20 pm

Well done!! You've certainly picked a great one to be your first!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Have fun!! :D
Ryguy
Triple Gold Member

Postby Spirit of Islay » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:08 am

So London on Monday , Stourbridge on Thursday , Mickeys got a busy week in England again ! Now how do we get him to do a tasting in Newcastle.......
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Postby Derek in london » Fri Oct 17, 2008 11:16 pm

This was a really nice event. Not being an Islay expert I was looking forward to a smokey and peaty evening :)

Started the evening with a sample of Blasda. Very light colour, not what I expected from an Islay malt. Nose not overpowering but a hint of vanilla with peaty overtones, again not what I'd expected. Very smooth and light on the pallet, medium finish. Surprisingly Blasda is chill filtered which probably added to it's lightness.

Next was a standard 2008 bottling of 'ten'. Much more what I'd imagined an Islay malt to be, full of peaty and smokey aromas but still smooth and with a longer finish with hints of the salty sea air.

This was followed by a dram of Ugedail. I though it has a slightly sweeter nose than the ten but the difference on the pallet was quite amazing. Full bodied and delivered a really pwerful finish without be at all harsh.

A real treat followed. a sample of 1975 single cask bottling from a sherry butt (13.75). More of a fruity, sherry nose with more oily? taste and long finish. I think the Whisky Exchange sells this at £600 a bottle.

Then Micky gave us an opportunity to sample two more drams and asked our opinion. Mixed feelings in the audience with some preferring the first of the two, some the second. They were slightly different but distinct enough to differentiate between the two. They were, in fact, the same 1998 distillation(?) from two different American oak casks, 11.89 54.6% and 11.90 55.2%, stored side by side in the warehouse. It'll be interesting to see how these are marketed.

Great night. Thanks Micky and the crew from WE. I'm just waiting for the right moment to open the Ugedail Ipicked up on the night.

AH! the right time is here :)
Derek in london

Return to Whisky Events

Whisky gift and present finder