Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Alcohol-free whisky??

General chat and talk about whisky.

Alcohol-free whisky??

Postby Iain » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Iain
Double Gold Member

Re: Alcohol-free whisky??

Postby Jhelder » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:12 pm

You mean apple juice :D
There is no thing as alchol free whisky...without the alcohol (which is needed to extract all the nice flavours from the wood) you have just coloured water!

So, for those who have to drive...no whisky..for those who do not have to drive...CHEERS and enjoy the real stuff ;)
Jhelder

Postby Iain » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:53 pm

Collector57 wrote:I believe legally whisky has to be minimum 40% alcohol, doesn't it?
Or does someone know better?

Scotch whisky must be 40pc abv, but this stuff isn't advertised as Scotch. Having said that, the name of the company does rather suggest...

I expect they'll be hearing from those very busy legal fellows at the SWA soon...
Iain
Double Gold Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:31 pm

Non alcoholic whisky is not whisky. Whats the point of this product, it doesn't sound very appealing to me. Does this company really think people who don't drink alcohol either Muslim or not would really want to drink something that tastes like an alcoholic drink. A lot of people who don't drink alcohol is because they don't like the taste not just religious beliefs.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:33 pm

Collector57 wrote:I believe legally whisky has to be minimum 40% alcohol, doesn't it?
Or does someone know better?

You are right it could be misconstrued since the name of the company does have Scotch in it even though they are marketing it as non-alcoholic whisky. They will probably have some legal issues with the SWA.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Jhelder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 12:05 am

I rather drink water then alcohol-free "whisky". Furthermore, I do not think that non-alcoholic drinkers (out of principal or believe) would develop a taste for whisky. I doubt there is a market for this crap...a sensible smw-drinker will not touch the stuff neither a non-alcoholic drinker (cannot imagine that they would like the taste of whisky). So, who is going to buy the bottled crap then?

For me..a nice lagavulin, a good book and now and then a nice Cohiba cigar.
Jhelder

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:13 am

Jhelder wrote:I rather drink water then alcohol-free "whisky". Furthermore, I do not think that non-alcoholic drinkers (out of principal or believe) would develop a taste for whisky. I doubt there is a market for this crap...a sensible smw-drinker will not touch the stuff neither a non-alcoholic drinker (cannot imagine that they would like the taste of whisky). So, who is going to buy the bottled crap then?

For me..a nice lagavulin, a good book and now and then a nice Cohiba cigar.

See, this is were I disagree, it all depends on how it tasted. If they could make an alcohol free whisky that tasted good, I would drink it. I drink whisky for the flavors not the alcohol. Just imagine that they can make a alcohol free whisky that tastes like Lagavulin or heck even if it tasted like Glenfiddich 12 I would drink it. Heck I could bring it to work and savor it as I did some reports :shock: Ah now that sounds good.
Now if it tastes like paint stripper mixed with rubber :yuk: then no I wouldn't.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Jhelder » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:58 pm

To my opinion there are 2 ways to create alcohol-free whisky.

A. Artificial...mixing chemical flavours until you have something that should resembles some kind of whisky.
B. Distillation of real aged whisky

The first option goes against anything that whisky stands for (a pure, honest and natural product)...and therefore I wouldn't drink it (and I think many SM-drinkers with me)

The second option seems okay but...yes there is a but...alcohol has an important role in the whisky...the presence of alcohol makes it possible to smell all these special and complex notes....also, when you look more closely to whisky (on a chemical compound level) you will notice that it's a soup of several hundred (organic)chemical compounds...interacting with each other and the ethanol...creating the complexity we all love in whisky...when you take out the ethanol you will destroy the nose and palate of the whisky..it would pain me to drink this...I rather drink juice or coffee then drink a poor substitute for something so pure and honest.

Amen :angel: ;)

cheers!
Jhelder

Postby jmrl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 pm

I'm keen to try it, academic interest mainly. I expect I've only drunk alcohol free beer if I'm driving and didn't want a softy/coffee. Only on a handfull of occassions. If this tastes ok then I'd consider it as an alternative to fun-free booze.

Keep us posted if anybody spots it onsale, before the SWA flying squad read the riot act.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby jmrl » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm keen to try it, academic interest mainly. I expect I've only drunk alcohol free beer if I'm driving and didn't want a softy/coffee. Only on a handfull of occassions. If this tastes ok then I'd consider it as an alternative to fun-free booze.

Keep us posted if anybody spots it onsale, before the SWA flying squad read the riot act.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:38 pm

I am going to drink a cup of Whisky Tea, this is alcohol free, too! :P
Whiskybembel

Postby Whiskybembel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:14 am

The Tea i mean is this:
Has a nice Barley Flavour :P
Whiskybembel

Postby LagaDrinker » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Whiskybembel wrote:The Tea i mean is this:

Where did you get that from?
LagaDrinker
Gold Member

Postby JCSkinner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:36 am

It's not apple juice, it's utterly artificial - malt extract juice plus flavourings.
Here's their procurement page:
http://scottishspirits.com/_en/purchasing_en.html
In there, you can clearly read:
"If you are a vendor and are interested in working with us, kindly send us
your best offers for purchasing the following items:

Components and Raw Materials

Glass bottles
Caps
Overcaps
Pure malt
Alcohol (96%)"

In other words, they're simply adding malt extract to pure alcohol for their 'whisky', some of which brands are dubiously and misleadingly boasting numbers implying age statements.
I assume for their 'non-alcoholic whisky', they're merely doing without the alcohol.
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby JCSkinner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:41 am

This is the bit that concerns me most though:

http://scottishspirits.com/_en/mfg_unde ... se_en.html

Quote: "Scottish Spirits Ltd will supply the following components and raw materials: Glass bottles - 30 ml, 200 ml, 350 ml, 500 ml, 700 ml, 750 ml and 1,000 ml - caps, overcaps, labels, 12-pack cases, malt and alcohol. In addition, Scottish Spirits Ltd will supply the following onsite equipment: Filling machine, crimping machine, labeling machine, tanks, filter press and air pumps...

'We have been producing and exporting whiskies since 1986 and are currently selling over 1 million cases a year,' states Reynald Katz, President of Scottish Spirits Ltd. 'In addition to our main Panama operations, we now have producers in the U.S., England and Colombia.'

This is a little worrying too:
http://scottishspirits.com/_en/private_brands_en.html
Are they getting actual single malts imported or are they bootlegging?
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:50 pm

At first I found this to be very strange a non-alcoholic whisky but now I find this be even more bothersome. Besides, the company name which is disconcerting.
The private brands is very bizarre. I can't understand how companies like this exist. Nothing about this thread calms me.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Jimmy321 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Alcohol-free whisky??

April the 1st is next month!!!
Jimmy321
Silver Member

Postby JCSkinner » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:13 pm

Collector57 wrote:
Scottish Spirits Ltd wrote:Scottish Spirits Ltd will supply the following components and raw materials: .....malt and alcohol. In addition, Scottish Spirits Ltd will supply the following onsite equipment: Filling machine, crimping machine, labeling machine, tanks, filter press and air pumps...

What on earth does that mean?
Malt and alcohol? So "malt" doesn't mean malt whisky. Does it mean malt extract? Are they selling pure alcohol and malt extract for you to mix together?

That's my reading of it alright. They may well do some casking, since they do also seek suppliers of casks (they don't specify what type of cask, though.)
But their franchisees are apparently expected to dilute alcohol with a malt extract and bottle and sell. :yuk:

Collector57 wrote:And what's the OMC brand doing in their Private Brands? Is DL part of this company? (Their website doesn't say so or even imply it)

Good question. Perhaps a bootleg?
JCSkinner
Bronze Member

Postby pmullin » Mon Mar 09, 2009 3:13 am

These are the kind of characters the SWA legal-beagles should be chasing - as opposed to harassing the folks at Glenora.
pmullin
Bronze Member

Postby Whiskybembel » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:23 am

LagaDrinker wrote:
Whiskybembel wrote:The Tea i mean is this:

Where did you get that from?

I bought it at Heathrow Airport last year.
Whiskybembel

Postby Bloody Marvellous » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:18 am

I'm gonna give defending this product a go...

1. It's supposed to taste like whisky, not smell like whisky...
2. If it tastes good people will drink it...
3. You could get a postmix machine, hell you could even sell it at McDonald's, which is a Scottish restaurant chain...

Oh, sod it... it's not working, is it?
Bloody Marvellous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder