Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky and food

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Whisky and food

Postby Liechtenstein » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:40 am

ClubSmed wrote:The restaurateur added: "You have to cook the whisky. If you just pour it on it is actually quite hideous and ruins whatever it is you are cooking."

I would agree...almost; and this would probably be true for most spirits. You can add spirits (rum, whisky or kirsch) to whipped cream and they will flavour that quite nicely.

I also add whisky to my porridge :insane: ...so, you don't have to just cook with whisky as it does marry well with some flavours.
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Re: Whisky and food

Postby Holysinner » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:50 am

I'm eating smoked salmon and an applewood smoked cheddar, and have poured a glass of Caol Ila 12 and one of Bruichladdich 3D3.

I should have gotten a better smoked salmon (it's a supermarket brand, a bit too salty), but the Caol Ila improves it, taming the salt, and the CI itself is going down very well after a bite of the salmon. With the smoked cheddar, not so much.

The Bruichladdich on the other hand pairs extremely well with the smoked cheddar, developing a creamy sweetness to go along with the wood smoke. Sipping it after the salmon, it's a little too woody and spirity.

I might have to get some more of the applewood smoked cheddar to go with the 3D3, this is really good. I'll go with higher quality smoked salmon next time, I think CI is a natural with this.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Previous

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder