Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Aroma recalling you past.

General chat and talk about whisky.

Aroma recalling you past.

Postby Jonpol » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:02 am

What specific scotch expressions bring about total recall of your childhood or other early memories ?
Jonpol

Re: Aroma recalling you past.

Postby Jonpol » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:07 am

Ardbeg 10 brings back me standing on the pitchers mound eating my baseball glove. Or, bored out in center field waiting for a bomb. Baseball :smoke:
Jonpol

Re: Aroma recalling your past.

Postby AZmalt » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:32 am

Lucky for you, Jonpol! For me the malts only bring back earlier experiences of enjoying those malts.

My first malt was 11 years ago when I worked at a large liquor merchant called Total Beverage in Chicago and I purchased my first malt, a bottle of The Balvenie 12, based on the tasting notes I posted next to the price while at work. It said some fancy schmancy stuff about leather and tobacco, and it was weird to drink a spirit straight for the first time, but oddly enough I fell in love!

So, even today I think of that first malt whenever I pour a wee dram of The Balvenie.
AZmalt

Postby lockejn » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:03 am

Not so much my early years, but my Daughter's:

When my daughter was first born I used to take first shift for nighttime feedings - every 2 hours. I'd sit in the living room reading and listening to quiet music (don't wake the baby!) while sipping whisky until midnight, 1am.

About that time I bought my first bottle of Highland Park 12 and it lasted pretty well through that entire period until I got back into a normal sleep schedule. Now whenever I nose a glass after any real hiatus memories of those nights come back so vividly.

I actually find myself drinking it sparingly in the hopes that that trigger will stay strong for many years to come.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:09 am

Turmberry April 2004. I nose a 1946 Macallan that I can smell to this day.

I'm back in my grannie's old oak linen cabinet...only someone's poured a bunch of fresh lemons into it.

Otherwise, a couple of big wee drams and I am a child!
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby AZmalt » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:33 am

Well then I need to have malt whisky more often than simply as a nightcap. It's not fair that your tasting experiences are anchored to something more pleasant, whereas mine usually just make me sleepy. :cry:
AZmalt

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder