Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

£70 to spend on something special..

General chat and talk about whisky.

£70 to spend on something special..

Postby bloodyalways » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Im going to be best man for a very good mate in september.He's offered to buy me a bottle of quality whisky to either keep or drink :P and will spend around £70 odd :shock:

As i usually look for whisky which is on offer around the £25-£30 range ive not much experience or knowledge of anything over that.Any advice??

My favourites at moment are Aberlour A'bunadh,Glenmorangie 'lasanta' ,Laph Qc,Ardbeg,jw green,laga.You get the idea :thumbsup:
bloodyalways

Re: £70 to spend on something special..

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:12 pm

These would be the ones in that price range that I would recommend, give or take a little bit. If there are any other suggestions you may want that are less expensive let me know. There are probably a lot that I have not thought of that others' here may think of.

Ardbeg Nam Beist
Balvenie Portwood
Balvenie Rum Cask
Benriach Authenticus
Glenfiddich 21yo
Glenlivet Archive
Gordon & MacPhail Benromach Traditional
Lagavulin DE
Laphroaig CS
Macallan
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby Caledonia » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 pm

Black Bull - DT's blend
Imperial sig CS
Macallan 18
Bruichladdich 21 oloroso
Perhaps an unusual caol ila (many around 70 quid)

Laphroaig 18 - havent tried it yet though

Benriach 21 authenticas
Caledonia
Bronze Member

Postby bloodyalways » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:37 pm

thanks for lists..how do laga d.e and ardbeg nam beist compare to standards?

Also i like all expressions of glenmorangie so far but im told going as old as 21y.o on any whisky can leave you with a more 'subtle' taste.May sound stupid but my taste buds aint the best and i prefer taste smashers rather than taste teasers :oops:
bloodyalways

Postby scotchdrinker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:49 pm

I honestly haven't had the Laga DE or the Nam beist I have just heard they are good. Someone else around will have more info on that.

It makes sense but it is good to appreciate the older more subtle SMS but just because they are older does not mean they are more subtle. And all the Glenmo's I have had I like a lot I wouldn't consider them taste smashers.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby bloodyalways » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:00 pm

fair point about the glenmorangie.i think im leaning toward a Laga D.E or a glenmorangie,but im gonna have fun for a few days choosing :sleep:
bloodyalways

Postby pkt77242 » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:30 pm

The 1991 Laga DE is a very good whisky.
You could also consider some Glendronachs (nice and sherried, I can say the 15 Revival is great).
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Ardbeg 1998 Rennasaince

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Swedish Chef » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:38 pm

I'd recomend the Glenfarclas 21y/o. It's not a taste smasher but has a little bit of everything.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby bloodyalways » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:50 am

just checked reviews online of laga d.e and theres not a bad one among them.only (slight)criticism was a sweetness on the finish which sounds good to me.having said that the review of the glenfarclas 21 was top notch aswell and said it is vastly underpriced at £50 odd quid.

My mouths watering lol
bloodyalways

Postby scotchdrinker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:52 am

I personally would go with the Glenfarclas 21, never had it but heard great things about it.
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:02 am

I have a Farclas 21 on the go currently, and it is enjoyable with a nice nuttyness and some hints of cocoa powder.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby bloodyalways » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:52 am

prob gonna go with either the lagavulin d.e 1991.....or the glenfarclas 21.

votes please :coffee:
bloodyalways

Postby Ardbeg311 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:38 am

Just to shake things up a bit. I would recommend one of the Rosebank 1991's from the Whisky Exchange (it's their own bottlings in the "Single Malts of Scotland" Range).* This got me hooked on Rosebank. I love my peaty and smokey Islay's, but this bottle was so pleasantly different.

*Unfortunately, there have been several Rosebank from 1991. I believe mine was the 16yo 1991-2008 (56.3%). Still I have yet to have a bad bottle of anything from the Single Malts of Scotland Range so probably any of these Rosebanks would be something special.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:59 pm

Yes, and they may well give you a sample should you wander in to their wondrous emporium for a browse...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby Whiskytaster » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Rosebank is very tempting, however, I would like to reiterate an earlier suggestion of a specific bottling from the Benriach distillery.

The 21 year old peated 'authenticus' is excellent. Smoky, peaty, sweet, (as per the Lagavulin DE), but richer and without the iodine 'tcp'. Top notch stuff. Definitely worth spending the little extra over the Lagavulin DE.

Without a doubt, this is something special - but, it will depend on what how you like your whisky, its all personal preference. RMW comments: http://www.royalmilewhiskies.com/produc ... 0000027198

Hope the wedding goes well.
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby dramtastic » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:04 am

Talisker 18
Balvenie 15 SB
Springbank 15
Yoichi 12
The Benriach 21 already suggested is a nice drop, though I personally prefered the 16.
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:47 am

As the members of this forum keep confusing you with tempting suggestions, I think you need to decide and define what style of whisky you're looking for:

If you want...
a sweet sherryfinish & peat --> Laga De
an older sherry matured malt --> Glenfarclas 21
an older peated bourbon cask whisky --> Benriach Authenticus, Talisker 18
no peat or sherry (but just whisky :D ) --> Rosebank TWE

I hope this helps you with the hard decision you have to make.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby bloodyalways » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:07 am

lol yeah its a toughie!thanks for all suggestions.to narrow my prefered style down,i would say the first whisky to blow me away was the aberlour a'bunadh,closely followed by the glenmorangie lasanta.both i believe are sherried and therefore maybe id be a tad dissapointed with anything too far away from this!

Although i love a peated whisky(just had isle of jura superstition,which blows the standard bottle out of the water for me)maybe spending £50-70 on an islay might be a bit unneccessary?

i also like the idea of getting something 15 ish years old as i met my best bud 15/16 years ago(bit sentimental but he is spending a fair bit on a bottle for me to indulge :iwbrnt: )
bloodyalways

Postby Ardbeg311 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:01 am

bloodyalways wrote:lol yeah its a toughie!thanks for all suggestions.to narrow my prefered style down,i would say the first whisky to blow me away was the aberlour a'bunadh,closely followed by the glenmorangie lasanta.both i believe are sherried and therefore maybe id be a tad dissapointed with anything too far away from this!

i also like the idea of getting something 15 ish years old as i met my best bud 15/16 years ago(bit sentimental but he is spending a fair bit on a bottle for me to indulge :iwbrnt: )

Well you narrowed down your preference quite a bit so I suggest:

(1) pkt77242's recommendation: Glendronach 15yo 'Revival' (46%, OB). I will be trying it soon based on the good reviews here and Serge's observation that it reminded him of a Macallan 'Gran Reserva' (I am assuming he is speaking about the 18yo from 1979 or those that followed and not the 2007 Mac 12yo GR).

(2) Glenfarclas 15yo (46%, OB). Not nearly as powerful, of course, as the Aberlour a'bunadh, but quite an enjoyable sherry whisky.

Best part here is that you can get both for around £75 and so have plenty to share with your best bud.

"....... and therefore maybe id be a tad dissapointed with anything too far away from this!" I'm not sure sure about this. I am willing to bet a good number of us here can count among our most enjoyable whisky experiences those times when we had something that was quite different than our preferred taste profile.
Ardbeg311
Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:03 am

bloodyalways wrote:lol yeah its a toughie!thanks for all suggestions.to narrow my prefered style down,i would say the first whisky to blow me away was the aberlour a'bunadh,closely followed by the glenmorangie lasanta.both i believe are sherried and therefore maybe id be a tad dissapointed with anything too far away from this!

Although i love a peated whisky(just had isle of jura superstition,which blows the standard bottle out of the water for me)maybe spending £50-70 on an islay might be a bit unneccessary?

Maybe you could find a bottle of Laphroaig 15 then? It would be special as they do not make it any more so could mark the occasion well and would definitely be one that you could keep or drink!
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:11 pm

I still suggest the Lagavulin DE as you cannot find this combination of sherry and peat much cheaper and so you get to know a new style, wich is something special.
Glenfarclas 15, Glendronach 15 and Laphroaig 15 are all great mats that you should add to your wishlist. They are all a little cheaper, so they should be affordable.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:56 pm

Leorin wrote:I still suggest the Lagavulin DE as you cannot find this combination of sherry and peat much cheaper and so you get to know a new style, wich is something special.
Glenfarclas 15, Glendronach 15 and Laphroaig 15 are all great mats that you should add to your wishlist. They are all a little cheaper, so they should be affordable.

The prices I can see for Lagavulin DE and Laphroaig 15 are pretty much the same at around £50
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Leorin » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:20 pm

ClubSmed wrote:The prices I can see for Lagavulin DE and Laphroaig 15 are pretty much the same at around £50

Here in germany the Laphroaig 15 is still around for 45 Euro. For the Lagavulin De I'd have to pay 65 Euro at least.
Leorin
Bronze Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Bloodyalways,

not sure where you are based but I think what you are looking for might be found in a bottle of Mortlach 16yo Glenkeir Treasure available from the Whisky Shop/whiskyshop.com

Slainte!
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Reggaeblues » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:04 am

Try Japanese!

Yamazaki 18 YO one of the Yumiest I've had in the last 18 months...around £65
and unforgettable...
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby bloodyalways » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:32 pm

Reggaeblues wrote:Try Japanese!

Yamazaki 18 YO one of the Yumiest I've had in the last 18 months...around £65
and unforgettable...

ha,just as im coming to a(very)hard decision,you go and throw in whisky from another continent :twisted:

im being pushed for decision now and am 90%sure im going with Lagavulin DE.Im also going to spend my own money on the Glenfarclas 15 as its not too far out my own price range for a once a month treat(about £30).Keep going back to the benriach 'Authenticus' though so it aint over yet.Will let him know tomorrow,so hoping for a flash of inspiration or decisiveness in my sleep!

Thanks to all who took the time to post,i wouldnt have even looked at a few of these without the tips.I feel laga is the safe choice as i know i love the standard,but part wants to take the risk on the benriach.the other close call in the glenfarclas sounds great but too cheap to get as a gift when i could get it myself.

Cheers,Glen
bloodyalways

Postby Whiskytaster » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:12 am

Good luck with your decision....

...I was blown away by the BenRiach. At the tasting we attended, the audience voted it the favourite by over 90%. Hmmm, might have to go and have a dram....
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby les taylor » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:30 am

By then the PC8 will be out. It will look fantastic and should be good as well. Might be worth a punt. I would. :)
les taylor
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder