Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Everything's Tasting So Good Tonight

General chat and talk about whisky.

Everything's Tasting So Good Tonight

Postby Wub » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:57 pm

I suppose everyone has their good nights and their bad nights. Tonight is definitely a good night for me: everything is tasting immaculate. I've had a few, but that's not it because the earlier drams were tasting just as good.

Right now I'm sipping on a dram of Ardbeg 10, and while I've enjoyed it in the past (one of my top four, with Ardbeg Uigeadail, Laphroaigh 10 and Laphroaigh QC), tonight it's making me sit up and go "Oh!"when a new flavour pops up in the finish.

So, does anyone else get big variations of their enjoyment of whiskies between nights?

Mark
Wub
Bronze Member

Re: Everything's Tasting So Good Tonight

Postby Holysinner » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:46 am

Wub wrote:So, does anyone else get big variations of their enjoyment of whiskies between nights?

I certainly do. Unfortunately (for me) I'm a cigarette smoker and I think that plays a big part in my variable palate, and my nose is often not very sensitive.

Some evenings my tongue just feels dull and I won't even bother pouring anything. Most of the time my first pour will be a relatively cheap blend just to test my senses; if it tastes right, I move on the the single malts.

The nights when everything tastes good, like you're experiencing, may only come once or twice a week for me, if that - but it's glorious.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Re: Everything's Tasting So Good Tonight

Postby Liechtenstein » Sat Aug 01, 2009 12:49 am

Wub wrote:So, does anyone else get big variations of their enjoyment of whiskies between nights?

I certainly do. This only happens after I've had a few drams back-to-back, such as last night when I had 4 drams. (Well, 5 if I count the last dram of rum...)

Normally, I just stick to one dram per evening. Things are...uh...less poetic in a one-dram evening.

Holysinner wrote:The nights when everything tastes good, like you're experiencing, may only come once or twice a week for me, if that - but it's glorious.

Glorious, indeed!

:wink:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder