Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Battlehill

General chat and talk about whisky.

Battlehill

Postby bcrossan » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:08 am

These IBs just started showing up at Specs in the last week. Has anyone tried any of these? I am curious to hear what people's general impressions have been. I have seen a couple Macallans at different ages, a Bowmore, an Imperial, and a few others.

http://www.duncantaylor.com/products/battlehill.htm
bcrossan
Silver Member

Re: Battlehill

Postby jazz lover » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:30 am

Buy and Try..
jazz lover
Double Gold Member

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:22 am

Bryan,
They are supposedly bringing some out here as well, if I get to try any I will let you know.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Willie JJ » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:14 pm

I don't think we saw the Macs or the Bowmore over here, but I have tried the Miltonduff, Auchentoshan, Ben Nevis and Imperial that we got here and found them to be great value for money (they were cheap at around £20). Not life changing, but decent drinking whisky.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:48 pm

There have been a few that have made it to this side of the pond. The one that stands out in my memory was a Glentauchers. Tasted like a Chenin Blanc on steroids. Loads of fresh fruits on the nose and palate.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby whiskynig » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:01 am

As with willie jj, the four mentioned are good value drinkable whisky.
We found the Miltonduff flew off our tasting shelf closely followed by the Ben Nevis strangely enough.
They are just releasing a Jura I believe, as well.
The main thing to remember is that Duncan Taylor stand by their products 100%, and it is unlikely you will get any duff ones.
Go buy. Go enjoy. :mrgreen:
whiskynig
Bronze Member

Postby jhershauer » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:29 am

I'm visiting a hospital that's right across the street from a Total Wine & More in Phoenix, AZ. I had an hour to kill, so I decided to check out their stock. They have the following Battlehill bottlings:

Aberlour 13
Auchentoshan 10
Bowmore 11
Jura 14
Macallan 11, 16 and 18

I thought Battlehill was supposed to be the "10 years and younger" brand for Duncan Taylor. I guess it's not age-specific, just "entry level". They're very reasonably priced (assuming they're drinkable), topping out at $70 for the 18 year Mac.

I haven't bought any yet, but am curious about the Aberlour, Jura and Mac 16.

Jeff
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby Lawrence » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:40 pm

Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 7:05 pm

Lawrence, thank you for the links. The Imperial sounds very good.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Lawrence » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:33 pm

pkt77242 wrote:Lawrence, thank you for the links. The Imperial sounds very good.

Sean

No problem, the Ben Nevis 8 is good too.
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby AZmalt » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:18 pm

Any new updates on these Battlehill expressions?
AZmalt

Postby Lawrence » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:48 pm

I have not seen anything yet but I've heard of a few others. The Ben Nevis is good.

Lawrence
Lawrence
Matured cask

Postby talisker10 » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I also saw the row of Battlehill at our Spec's. The Imperial does sound rather good..and only $45.
talisker10
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:15 pm

Some of ther Imperial has also found its way to Oz - very tempting....
borgom
Gold Member

Postby TroyM » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:10 am

I really like the Imperial. Very fruity and perfect for a warmer day. A spring dram. I think they were $49 Aus when I grabbed a couple.
TroyM
Bronze Member

Postby Holysinner » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:14 am

I opened the Battlehill Ben Nevis 10 and Imperial 13 this evening. Please note these are my first impressions of newly opened bottles, so my judgment is subject to change.

Ben Nevis 10
Nose: Slightly off notes (musty/sour) initially, but these vanished quickly. Malty, metallic. Rather closed.
Palate: Very honeyed, white pepper. Doughy malt. A little metallic as with the nose. Some background vanilla and spice (cloves), but the honey and pepper really stand out.
Finish: Peppery, longish, and very warming - it had me sweating!

With water (~3 drops): The nose really opened up with fruity and floral scents. Unfortunately, some cardboard appeared on the palate, but also nice tobacco.
Comments: This has elements that remind me of Balvenie 15 SB, Talisker 175th, and Cragganmore 12 - almost like a vatting of the three, though not quite as good as any individually. I doubt this would be a standout for many people, but it has a flavor profile I really like. As the bottle opens up it could be really good, provided the initial off and metallic notes disappear, but if they become more prominent I will lose interest.

Imperial 13
Nose: Ripe tropical fruits - melon or maybe papaya, coconut. Something earthy too that I can't pinpoint.
Palate: Flan! Nutmeg, oak, drying. Reminiscent of spiced mead or mulled wine.
Finish: Medium, spicy.

With water (~3 drops): Really brings earthiness to the nose. Old leather, woody incense. Didn't change the palate much.
Comments: Very tasty, creamy, rich and spicy.

The Imperial is probably a better dram, more balanced and without the flaws I got at first with the Ben Nevis, but tonight at least, I like the Ben Nevis a little more. It really suits my tastes.
Holysinner
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:40 am

Holysinner wrote:I opened the Battlehill Ben Nevis 10 and Imperial 13 this evening. Please note these are my first impressions of newly opened bottles, so my judgment is subject to change.

Ben Nevis 10
Nose: Slightly off notes (musty/sour) initially, but these vanished quickly. Malty, metallic. Rather closed.
Palate: Very honeyed, white pepper. Doughy malt. A little metallic as with the nose. Some background vanilla and spice (cloves), but the honey and pepper really stand out.
Finish: Peppery, longish, and very warming - it had me sweating!

With water (~3 drops): The nose really opened up with fruity and floral scents. Unfortunately, some cardboard appeared on the palate, but also nice tobacco.
Comments: This has elements that remind me of Balvenie 15 SB, Talisker 175th, and Cragganmore 12 - almost like a vatting of the three, though not quite as good as any individually. I doubt this would be a standout for many people, but it has a flavor profile I really like. As the bottle opens up it could be really good, provided the initial off and metallic notes disappear, but if they become more prominent I will lose interest.

Imperial 13
Nose: Ripe tropical fruits - melon or maybe papaya, coconut. Something earthy too that I can't pinpoint.
Palate: Flan! Nutmeg, oak, drying. Reminiscent of spiced mead or mulled wine.
Finish: Medium, spicy.

With water (~3 drops): Really brings earthiness to the nose. Old leather, woody incense. Didn't change the palate much.
Comments: Very tasty, creamy, rich and spicy.

The Imperial is probably a better dram, more balanced and without the flaws I got at first with the Ben Nevis, but tonight at least, I like the Ben Nevis a little more. It really suits my tastes.

Nice notes HS.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder