Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Suntory HIBIKI 12 Coming to America

General chat and talk about whisky.
Related whiskies : Hibiki 12 Years Old , Hibiki Suntory

Suntory HIBIKI 12 Coming to America

Postby scotchdrinker » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 pm

via Luxist

If you watched Bill Murray and Scarlet Johansson in the travel film Lost in Translation, the name Suntory may ring a bell. It's the Japanese whisky which Murray's character was promoting on a trip to Japan, but now it's the whisky that's reciprocating by making the trans-Pacific voyage to American shores. Previously unavailable in the United States, the Japanese distillery has announced plans to import its coveted Hibiki 12 whisky (pictured below) to the American market. Priced at around $60, the Hibiki 12 is an 86-proof blend of whiskies ranging from 12 years to 30 years old, filtered in bamboo charcoal.

Around the same time, Suntory is also launching a special-edition Yamazaki 1984, a 96-proof blend of some 30 whiskies selling for around $600 to celebrate the brand's 25th anniversary - although the distillery itself was actually founded in 1899. Suntory whiskies are considered some of the world's best and have even been awarded top honors by several prestigious whisky tasting authorities, and should find a welcoming market in the United States.
Attachments
hibikiwhisky.jpg
hibikiwhisky.jpg (16.1 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
scotchdrinker
Silver Member

Re: Suntory HIBIKI 12 Coming to America

Postby lockejn » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:24 am

I, for one, can't wait. I look forward to the day when more international whiskies are readily available here in the states.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby mikeymad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:44 am

Welcome to America to the new Japanese whisky - makes three different ones now from my count... (yama 12, and 18)

Picked up mine last week from K&L Wines for $54.99...

At the price I might drink a bit of it....

Cheers,
mikeymad
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby bcrossan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:36 am

Anyone try this yet and care to share thoughts? This just landed in Austin and I am wondering if it is worth picking up
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby bcrossan » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:33 pm

bcrossan wrote:Anyone try this yet and care to share thoughts? This just landed in Austin and I am wondering if it is worth picking up

Anyone, anyone... Bueller......?
bcrossan
Silver Member

Postby SoMK » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:35 pm

I like this one a LOT ! It has been my fav summer dram last year. Very sweet and spicy, super pleasant to drink :) I couldn't catch the "plum" note because I'm frankly a noob at Japanese plum liquor :o but cinnamon, pepper, yesssss. For me, it really is a very enjoyable blend at a good price. *and nice bottle too*
Very cool to find it on this side of the ocean!
SoMK
Gold Member

Related whiskies : Hibiki 12 Years Old , Hibiki Suntory

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder