Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Costco

General chat and talk about whisky.

Costco

Postby borgom » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:02 am

So we've had our first Costco open here in Melbourne, Australia - are there any cheap or interesting whiskies on offer? I was going to have a look yesterday but wasn't interesting in paying $60 and lining up for hours for the privilege.
borgom
Gold Member

Re: Costco

Postby Wub » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:25 am

I was wondering about that as well, but I didn't realise that it cost so much to get in. You'd have to be spending big for it to be worth it.
Wub
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:26 pm

At least here, the cost is for your annual membership. I paid for the higher level of membership but get a check back in the mail each year. It basically is enough to pay for the membership.

The availability of malt varies wildly. Northern California gets many more whiskies and certainly much more interesting bottles than we do down in southern California. Costco also does some bottlings under their own label Kirkland. To date I've seen two batches of Macallan 18 and a Macallan 19. Rumor has it there is a Macallan 15 now.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:17 pm

I agree with Ganga's post and will add that the membership is probably only worth getting if you are also going to buy stuff other than whisky from there. If a friend gets a membership maybe visit with him onetime to see what they have.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:25 pm

I know Costco is also on-line here. I'd check to see if there is an on-line version of the store for your area.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:19 pm

:o I didn't know that Costco sold liquor in the USA. (They don't in Canada.)

I have a question: is it really cheaper to buy liquor at Costco? and, do they have good stuff or only the most popular stuff?

I already have a Costco membership as my wife is a regular worshipper at that Temple of Mass Consumerism...

:coffee:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby pkt77242 » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:18 pm

Liechtenstein, it depends on the costco. Though none have a selection like a fine spirits store (binnys, etc) there are some that carry Macallan 12 and 18, Glenlivet 12 and 18, Balvenie DW, the whole Classic Malts range (especially around Christmas and fathers day). I have also seen JW Blue, Gold, Green, etc, as well as some of the Kirkland Signature Macallans. Glenfiddich 12 and 18. They also carry some other premium spirits such as Grey Goose, Patron, Remy Martin XO, etc. But it all depends on which Costco. Some have none (or just Glenlivet 12) and some have all of these. They also have a good selection of wine and beer.

Prices are generally good (Balvenie DW $38, Cragganmore 12 $47, Laga 16 $83 (good for out here) etc. Wine and beer are also well prices.

Sean
pkt77242
Matured cask

Postby Liechtenstein » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:35 pm

OK...Thanks, Sean. (I saw Ganga's post about available whiskies after I posted my question.)

I'll be in Virginia for 2 weeks in September, so I'll drop into the nearest Costco and check them out.

:thumbsup:
Liechtenstein
Silver Member

Postby borgom » Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:17 am

Ok thanks guys. Sounds like it's worth checking out. I think i'll just wait a few weeks for the crowds to die down.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby Tightwad » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:53 pm

Liechtenstein wrote:OK...Thanks, Sean. (I saw Ganga's post about available whiskies after I posted my question.)

I'll be in Virginia for 2 weeks in September, so I'll drop into the nearest Costco and check them out.

Isnt Virginia a "State Control" State? ie only State Owned Liquor Stores?
Maybe Im mistaken.....

The USA Liquor situation would confuse an Attorney....
Tightwad

Postby Gov » Sat Aug 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Yes!! Get a membership.
My local Costco has a 1.75L bottle of Glennfiddich 12 for $39.97!!! An excellent price for a great everyday dram!
Gov
Gold Member

Postby borgom » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:27 am

Went and checked this out the other day and it's not great. They don't have any of the Kirkland malts and there's only a couple of singles at average prices. Probably a good store for a large family to buy bulk but it's not for me.
borgom
Gold Member

Postby jhershauer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:42 am

Sean covered the stuff we've gotten here in Phoenix pretty well. One additional example: I got a 1989 Mac 18 for $99 at Father's Day. Probably should have picked up two!

Jeff

Liechtenstein wrote::o I didn't know that Costco sold liquor in the USA. (They don't in Canada.)

I have a question: is it really cheaper to buy liquor at Costco? and, do they have good stuff or only the most popular stuff?

I already have a Costco membership as my wife is a regular worshipper at that Temple of Mass Consumerism...

:coffee:
jhershauer
Silver Member

Postby jhershauer » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:45 am

That's too bad. They vary quite a bit from store to store. Yours sounds like the one by my house. Fortunately, there's one close to my work with a much better selection and deals.

Jeff

borgom wrote:Went and checked this out the other day and it's not great. They don't have any of the Kirkland malts and there's only a couple of singles at average prices. Probably a good store for a large family to buy bulk but it's not for me.
jhershauer
Silver Member

Costco - UK

Postby Whiskytaster » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:24 pm

Anyone know if there is anything special at any of the Costco's in the UK ?
Whiskytaster
Bronze Member

Postby Drammed » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:49 am

I was at a Costco in SoCal last Christmas and got bottles of JW Green for $34! Very nice price considering they go for $79 here (especially with the CAD and USD within 10% now).
Drammed
Gold Member

Re: Costco - UK

Postby TheTross » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:03 am

Whiskytaster wrote:Anyone know if there is anything special at any of the Costco's in the UK ?

Not sure if you count either of these as special, but at my local Costco (Oldham) they currently sell Laphroaig 10yo for around £20 and Lagavulin 16yo for about £33. There are a couple of others too - Glenlivet 12 and a Macallan Fine Oak of some sort (probably 10) - but I didn't pay much attention to those and so couldn't tell you how much they cost.
TheTross
Gold Member

Postby AdamMY » Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:17 am

I don't know if they still have it, but one in Illinios had a Caol Ila for about 10 dollars less than I could get it from Binny's. Although I think they organize some sort of extra large order from someone, and sell them till they are gone. so it can be really hit or miss depending on the store, and the deals they have worked out recently.

I would definitely say its not one going for consistency of selection.
AdamMY
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby CousinLarry » Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:35 pm

Tightwad wrote:
Liechtenstein wrote:OK...Thanks, Sean. (I saw Ganga's post about available whiskies after I posted my question.)

Isnt Virginia a "State Control" State? ie only State Owned Liquor Stores?
Maybe Im mistaken.....

The USA Liquor situation would confuse an Attorney....

Yeah, no liquor at costco in VA. In fact we have some of the highest prices in the country. Essentially 25% tax and the state sets the pre tax price really high. Sooo I would hold off on buying anything here unless your home state is worse.
CousinLarry

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder