Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

HP Distillery and Cabinet

General chat and talk about whisky.

HP Distillery and Cabinet

Postby Onefortheditch » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:17 pm

I'm just back from my annual trip to Orkney. I bought 3 Hjartas and a repatriated Japanese Bicentenary at the HP distillery. And I tried both of them at the Lynnfield hotel which is next to the distillery. The owner now has an old cabinet filled only with HP collectibles and you can buy a dram and taste your collectible without having to buy a bottle to drink. The prices are very reasonable considering the value of the bottles too. If you visit the distillery, it is well worth visiting the cabinet as well. It's one of the best whisky bars and made all the more exclusive by not being on best whisky bar list.

The Lynnfield owner is an Orkney man and knows a more about the history of HP than lot of HP staff. (The hotel is excellent to stay in as well.) (You can tell I like the place!!) :)

And the guy at the distillery said HP were considering introducing vintages. He didn't say in what context. Maybe it will be like the Macallan 18YO where they add the year too?

The cabinet is a great idea. I can't think of any other hotels which focus on all the collectibles of one distillery?
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Re: HP Distillery and Cabinet

Postby Wave » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:06 am

I too just visited the Highland Park distillery on Friday though I didn't know about the Lynnfield Hotel Cabinet, maybe next time. It's a bit of a stroll to there from the West Side Hotel and it being Sunday, well....

I'll be in Inverness late Monday night after spending the day in Wick and the Old Pulteney distillery for a couple of days before going on to Elgin for the Spirit Of Speyside Whisky Festival. Are there any good whisky bars in Inverness, any that you recommend?

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:44 pm

McNabs down by the river, below the Columba hotel, and the Castle Tavern. To get to the Castle Tavern you go up Castle street and past the castle on your right. Its at the first set of traffic lights you come to.

These are the two best ones I know, but I haven't been out in Inverness bars a lot recently. You'll find better ones in Speyside.

Hope you enjoy them. I believe the Castle Tavern does a whisky list.

:thumbsup:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Postby DanAir » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:34 pm

Onefortheditch wrote:And the guy at the distillery said HP were considering introducing vintages. He didn't say in what context. Maybe it will be like the Macallan 18YO where they add the year too?

I was at a tasting with Gerry Tosh, the HP Brand Ambassador, where he told us that the 16yo and 21yo travel retail exclusives are being replaced with Vintages. You're correct that that would mean they'd include the year of distillation. I don't think he said which years and what ages, or if he did I've forgotten!
DanAir
Bronze Member

Postby Wave » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:19 am

Onefortheditch wrote:McNabs down by the river, below the Columba hotel, and the Castle Tavern. To get to the Castle Tavern you go up Castle street and past the castle on your right. Its at the first set of traffic lights you come to.

These are the two best ones I know, but I haven't been out in Inverness bars a lot recently. You'll find better ones in Speyside.

Hope you enjoy them. I believe the Castle Tavern does a whisky list.

:thumbsup:

Great! I'm fairly close to to the Castle Tavern (I'm at a B&B on Fairfield) I saw it last night on my way to Jimmy Chungs (spelling?).

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby Onefortheditch » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:17 pm

Hope you enjoyed the bars and Inverness OK! :thumbsup:
Onefortheditch
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder