Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Buffalo Trace : White Dog

General chat and talk about whisky.

Buffalo Trace : White Dog

Postby jmrl » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:31 pm

A customer passsed comment that he had tried this, apparently they sell it at the distillery. Its unaged Bourbon spirit. I'd very much like to taste this. I'm a big fan of Scottish new make spirit. I'm not sure I'd drink a bottle of the stuff rapidly or have big glasses. It is however pretty drinkable but it is the fascination with trying the taste before and after maturation. It helps understanding which flavours are extracted and which are donated.

I've long wanted to examine Bourbon in the same way but I doubt I'll be visiting Kentucky etc for some time. After all 90% of Scotch whisky is matured in ex-Bourbon casks.

I expect the distillery will not ship. Anybody Stateside willing to mail me some or is anybody coming to? Edinburgh and up for bringing some I'll be your friend for life. (Although some would say that is a threat more than a promise)
jmrl
Gold Member

Re: Buffalo Trace : White Dog

Postby sku » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:47 am

You may have an easier time finding corn whiskey, which unlike new make Bourbon, is bottled and marketed. The majority of corn whiskey on the market is unaged and it has a higher percentage of corn than most Bourbons (minimum 80%) but it will give you some sense of what a corn-based new make is like.
sku
Bronze Member

Postby jmrl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:44 am

Thanks, We've tried Georgia Moon which was pretty impressive although not pretty. Mellow corn was better but Ibelieve it be aged for a short period.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby bear » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:48 am

There are a few bottles on ebay.com at around $40, it doesn't mention anything about postage to the UK though. Also they are half bottles 375ml!

Good luck in your search!
bear

Postby jmrl » Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Thanks for the info. A friend is off to the US. I wonder if Binny's or Sam's will stock it our is it distillery only I wonder.
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby p_elliott » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:33 am

I wish you had posted this a few weeks ago I was at the BT distillery just 2 weeks ago. They only sell it in the 375ml bottles by the way. I think it taste just awful but to each their own. You taste the the corn like syrupy it's real sweet and you don't taste any of the other grains but corn. I'm sure it's sold at the distillery only. Speaking of sold at the distillery only they have a Cream Liqueur that's just wonderful that you can only buy there.
p_elliott

Postby jmrl » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:50 pm

Interesting. I was told it was like burnt popcorn, but the person didn' say this was a bad thing but I guess its not too difficult to fill in the blanks. Binnys actually stock it so...
jmrl
Gold Member

Postby p_elliott » Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:14 am

Maybe overly buttered under or uncooked corn, I don't know about popcorn but I think I have heard that.
p_elliott

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder