Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Writers' Tears

General chat and talk about whisky.

Writers' Tears

Postby Aidan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:53 am

Tasted a new Irish whiskey called Writers' Tears. Pretty nice. It it, apparently, a blend of pot still and Midleton malt. A young whiskey, but worth trying.
Aidan
Cask Strength Gold Member

Re: Writers' Tears

Postby Pure Pot Head » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:26 pm

Do you mean Midleton Pot Still and Cooley or Bushmills malt? Who's behind it?

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:32 pm

No, it's supposed to be Midleton pot still and Midleton malt. It's from the Irishman. Midleton make a malt for blending. They only do it once in a while.

Says in the whisky bible that it has Midleton malt in it, but who knows for sure if that's true.
Aidan

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Yes, I understand that they're making more malt now to blend into Paddy which they used to get from Bushmills when they were the same company. In theory, if they wanted they could put out a Single Malt but even if they wanted to, none of the main brands have a Single Malt heritage.

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Alan Gold Label » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:13 pm

I saw an open taster bottle of this in the Celtic Whiskey Shop the other day and wish I had've had a try. I feel a bit silly tasting too much there without buying! :?

Interesting whiskey though from the short bit I read. Has anyone any notes on it?
Alan Gold Label

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:25 pm

I thought they had an agreement with Bushmills to exchange malt for grain whiskey. I think there's still Bushmills malt in Paddy, but this may have come to an end now, or maybe it's coming to an end. Bushmills get the grain whiskey for their blends from Midleton.

I have a few bottles of Midleton malt, in the shape of Erin Go Bragh. It's okay. They don't claim it's great or anything. It's interesting, though.

Was there Midleton malt in Hewitt's?
Aidan

Postby Pure Pot Head » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Was there Midleton malt in Hewitt's?

Interesting question Aidan. Hewitts is somewhat off my radar. I'm not sure I've even tasted it. But I seem to remember seeing an old advert for it describing it as a single malt. And it is one of the old Cork Distilleries family of whiskies who were a bit of a Cooley in their day perhaps, competing against the big Dublin distilleries and maybe more inclined to making a single malt to get a market positioning. It's a funny one Hewitts. Do they still make it even? I've heard people speak highly of it over the years but never really looked into it. It's something I should check out.

Pure Pot Head
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby Aidan » Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:29 pm

It used to be peated, but the modern version was a blend. I thought it had Midleton grain and Midleton malt in it, but I can't remember now. It was discontinued about five years ago. It was very nice.
Aidan

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder