Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

What next? (Another newbie)

General chat and talk about whisky.

What next? (Another newbie)

Postby charlie7 » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Hello all,

as you may or may not have seen in my other post, I'm new to Whisky but am trying as many different ones as I can get my hands on to get an idea of what is out there and what I like and dislike.

So far I really like Auchentoshan 12, Highland Park 12 & 18 and Springbank 15.

Bruichladdich 18 I'm not sure of yet, one day I like it, the next I don't :?

The others: Macallan 12 (I guess it was the Fine Oak, but not sure), Dalwhinnie 15 and Glenlivet 15 I found rather "dull".

For my next purchase (and bar visits) I was thinking Bruichladdich Organic (I like the concept) or any of their core range (10-12-15-XVII), Balvenie Doublewood or Glenmorangie 10 but I'm very open to suggestions (but as you have figured by now, I'm starting off in the lower price range).

As for peated, the PC7 I disliked because of the burnt rubber finish, so I guess I'm not a peat lover (or I'll have to grow into it). I suppose I could try a less heavily peated one though; I believe I saw some people suggest Talisker? Or maybe the Bruichladdich Waves or Infinity ?

TIA
C7
charlie7

Re: What next? (Another newbie)

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:43 am

Burnt rubber is more normally associated with sherried whiskies. Try a different Islay whisky before you right off peated whiskies as a group.

I would also suggest that Bruichladdich doesn't have a true core range yet. Each release comes as an edition (some are finished and others are strictly matured) and is intended to be different.

There is quite a big difference between Macallan sherry matured and fine oak. I'd suggest that you try the sherry 12/10 (depending on where you are). I believe there are miniatures of this available.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby shulaw05 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 1:26 am

in the lower price range you could also consider aberlour 12 yr (a real nice anytime drink) or old pulteny 12 yr
shulaw05
Bronze Member

Postby lockejn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 am

Old Pulteney 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Yamazaki 12 (Japanese), and I'd suggest Talisker 10 to just about anyone.

A couple others I think are worth trying, but tend to be somewhat polarizing - Clynelish 14 and Ardmore Traditional Cask (or Teacher's).
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby lockejn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:44 am

Oooh, almost forgot Glenfarclas. That and Highland Park are what I usually start my local newbies on.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby charlie7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Ganga wrote:Burnt rubber is more normally associated with sherried whiskies. Try a different Islay whisky before you right off peated whiskies as a group.

Point taken - I must take care not to generalize...

Ganga wrote:I would also suggest that Bruichladdich doesn't have a true core range yet. Each release comes as an edition (some are finished and others are strictly matured) and is intended to be different.

I can see that for the 18, the various 16's, the Infinity, 3D etc. But is it also true for the 10 - 12 - 15 and XVII ? I thought these could be considered "core". Not sure what to think of Rocks, Waves and Peat.
I guess they simply have way too many editions.

I've read some nice things about the WMDII Yellow Submarine, any thoughts?

Thanks for the tips!
charlie7

Postby Ganga » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:39 pm

XVII isn't made anymore. If I have it right, the Ten was dropped for the Twelve because of the available stocks - recall Bruichladdich was intermittent in production prior to the new owners. Twelve first edition was a finished product while the Twelve second edition is bourbon matured. Fifteen second edition is wine finished; my recollection is that the first edition is bourbon matured. Twenty is on a third edition and has a different finish from the second edition.

Links is a series of wine finished whiskies with tributes to renowned golf courses. Wine finish varies. Same with the First Growth series.

If you really want some good information about Bruichladdich, go to SpiritofIslay.com or ask Gordon Homer (Spirit of Islay) as he is one of the best resources on Islay whiskies.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby charlie7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:37 pm

shulaw05 wrote:in the lower price range you could also consider aberlour 12 yr (a real nice anytime drink) or old pulteny 12 yr

Thanks!

I looked up Aberlour 10 at TWE, and found this:

http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-145.aspx

I guess this is not the one you were referring to, at 110 quid.

Then at LFW I found "Aberlour OB 10yo 40%alc." at 22,90 which seems much more reasonable. It's 10yo though, not 12 ?
charlie7

Postby charlie7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:51 pm

lockejn wrote:Old Pulteney 12, Bunnahabhain 12, Yamazaki 12 (Japanese), and I'd suggest Talisker 10 to just about anyone.

A couple others I think are worth trying, but tend to be somewhat polarizing - Clynelish 14 and Ardmore Traditional Cask (or Teacher's).

Oooh, almost forgot Glenfarclas. That and Highland Park are what I usually start my local newbies on.

Thanks lockejn, are these more generic recommendations, or similar to what I liked so far?

Any specific Glenfarclas you can recommend?
charlie7

Postby lockejn » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:20 pm

charlie7 wrote:Thanks lockejn, are these more generic recommendations, or similar to what I liked so far?

Any specific Glenfarclas you can recommend?

They're fairly generic - that is to say, I'd recommend them to almost anyone. But, they're not at all out of line with what you've liked and disliked, though a few are different in style.

Talisker and Ardmore are peated, but different from what you'd find from many Islays. The Glenfarclas (12 is the only one I can get locally) is sherried but is quite a bit different from the more mainstream Sherry whiskies I think.

About half of these suggestions are typically priced at the "value" end of the spectrum while the others are firmly in the mid-range but I consider all of them good buys for the money. Obviously the more whiskies you try and the more data you give to us the better our recommendations can be - but the less you'll need them.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Willie JJ » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:32 pm

charlie7 wrote:
Ganga wrote:I would also suggest that Bruichladdich doesn't have a true core range yet. Each release comes as an edition (some are finished and others are strictly matured) and is intended to be different.

I can see that for the 18, the various 16's, the Infinity, 3D etc. But is it also true for the 10 - 12 - 15 and XVII ? I thought these could be considered "core". Not sure what to think of Rocks, Waves and Peat.
I guess they simply have way too many editions.

Ganga is correct on this. I'm surprised you can find the 10yo. It is long gone here, as is the XVII. Even the 12yo which replaced the 10 is reputed to have pretty much run out.

I thought the Rocks-Waves-Peat range was to become core. Time will tell.

I like WMD II btw. I'm not sure why as I'm not a fan of ACE-ing.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby charlie7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:53 pm

Ganga wrote:XVII isn't made anymore.

Ah ok, I had seen a 17yo somewhere but going back to it now I see it's a completely different one, it's a vintage. Strange though that it was distilled in '92 and bottled in 2008, yet it is sold as a 17yo ??

http://www.whisky-on-line.be/_new/detail.php?c=SSS79

Ganga wrote: If I have it right, the Ten was dropped for the Twelve because of the available stocks - recall Bruichladdich was intermittent in production prior to the new owners. Twelve first edition was a finished product while the Twelve second edition is bourbon matured. Fifteen second edition is wine finished; my recollection is that the first edition is bourbon matured. Twenty is on a third edition and has a different finish from the second edition.

Hmmm much more complicated then I thought :(

Thanks Ganga!
charlie7

Postby charlie7 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:12 pm

Collector57 wrote:If you see a Laddie XVII then I'd buy it. A favourite Laddie for me - ace free.
I have a couple spare...

Maybe I should consider that as my next purchase then, I see a local shop here has it on its price list for 63 EUR. Or maybe give a "subtle" hint to the Mrs for a christmas present :)

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate the suggestions.
charlie7

Postby charlie7 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:36 pm

Maybe I should consider that as my next purchase then, I see a local shop here has it on its price list for 63 EUR

That was a disappointment :( The shop's price list on their website was incredibly outdated... the shopkeeper didn't even remember he ever had a XVII and thought I was referring to the new 17 Rum Cask release.

They also didn't have the Yellow Sub or the Benromach Organic (which I had also spotted on their list and wanted to try) so I ended up buying a Glenmorangie Original (10yo), just because it was on special offer, 27 EUR :) and I didn't want to go home empty handed.

That was 2 days ago and the 2 Original drams I had so far were quite nice I must say, seems like very good price/'performance' ratio (even at the normal price of around 31EUR). I like the

But the nicest surprise was the Benromach Organic which I found at another store yesterday. By accident - I didn't pay attention to the packaging - I bought the "special edition" which is made from barley dried with peat smoke. I just opened it 10 mins ago and I immediately liked the smell coming from the bottle, unlike Mrs.7 who's getting into Whisky herself as well (which means it's going to be an even more expensive 'hobby' ;-)) and who doesn't like smoke at all. I only had 2 sips so far but I like it a lot, it tastes much like it smells, reminiscent of BBQ smoke.

The same store also had a gift box with 3x 20cl of Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16 and Cragganmore 12, which is on my wish list for Christmas, seems like a great way to sample some more different malts. Am I right that Talisker is lightly peated (which I'm guessing now is how the Benromach Organic special edition can be described) and Laga 16 heavily? How is the Cragganmore?

Back to my Organic SE now...
charlie7

Postby charlie7 » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:21 pm

I must say I really liked my first dram of the Organic SE. After a few sips I was starting to feel it was a bit too one-sided, for me (being not (yet) acquainted with smoky whisky) the smoke is a tiny bit too dominant, it's a bit like eating McDonalds chicken dips with BBQ sauce and getting too much sauce so you don't taste the chicken.
After letting it rest a little however, it starts to show a little more than just smoke. I think I'll try it with a drop of water tomorrow.

All in all I'm glad I bought this one as it's very different from the ones I had so far and I think a good reference point.
charlie7

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:36 pm

charlie7 wrote:I believe I saw some people suggest Talisker?

The 18 Year Old is absolutely classic stuff!

Another distillery worth considering is Benriach. I'm enjoying many of its malts, including the peated Curiositas and Arumaticus Fumosus as well as the Madeira and Tawny Port Finish. Well crafted whiskies, all.

Still a bit of controversy as regards the older 15YO Longmorn versus the newer 16YO bottling. Nonetheless, I'd say both represent wonderfully complex Highland pours with a sage balance between sweetness and dryness.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder