Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Glen Moray

General chat and talk about whisky.

Glen Moray

Postby hugoguava » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:33 pm

Noticed that this was on at very cheap deals at Christmas I could even buy at from Booker Cash and Carry and make good margin selling it for £18 !
Has anyone actually tried this ? is it any good or absolute filth ?
saw it had a wine and spirit competion medal but that's not usually worth a lot
hugoguava

Re: Glen Moray

Postby Ganga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:51 pm

Willie'll drink anything Nick. :P

I enjoy Glen Moray and have been fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to try some very unique bottlings including one handfilled at the distillery. I think part of it is that many are looking for peated whiskies or big sherry bombs as opposed to the lighter side presented by Glen Moray. I've missed the Chardonnay 12 yos but I did have the "mellowed in chenin blanc" versions (12/16).
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby hugoguava » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:14 pm

just the straight up and down selection

well i'll just buy some more and give it whirl myself
customer told me it was very good but he was about 107 years old and had a nose the colour of Oz Shiraz so i didn't take him at his word !
seeing as it's quite chilly out maybe a 1995 connoisseurs choice ardbeg before bed !
hugoguava

Postby Ganga » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:28 am

Mayhaps to have to open the two I have stashed. Standard 12 (no finish) and a young cask strength indie bottle. :D
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Ganga » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:14 am

Little Glen Moray finished in wine casks. Didn't identify the chenin blanc nor the chardonnay.

Nose: hard candies, malt, sweet coated nuts, grain straw, wax
Palate: peanut brittle, straw, fresh buns
Finish: long and malty
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Swedish Chef » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:38 pm

I've been sipping some of the 16yo the last few weeks. It's not the best whiskey I've had, but in it's price range it's very good.
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby whiteshirt » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:56 pm

As a regular drinker of Glen Moray and having a large. selection of limited bottlings in my collection.

My impression is that it is a good everyday very reasonably priced malt (NAS less complex than the 12 or 16) .

You don't feel that you have paid over the odds for something that is as good as the more expensive malts..
whiteshirt
Bronze Member

Postby ClubSmed » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:34 pm

hugoguava wrote:Noticed that this was on at very cheap deals at Christmas I could even buy at from Booker Cash and Carry and make good margin selling it for £18 !

You can usually get it in Aldi for about £15 I think if you are talking about the NAS
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby DavidUK » Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:06 pm

The NAS 'classic' is very drinkable and most enjoyable as a light,clean and fruity malt. I tried it in a pub and was pleasantly surprised considering how cheap it is in the supermarkets.

Saw a bottle with a few quid off in ASDA yesterday and bought it for £15-50
DavidUK

Postby Reggaeblues » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:49 pm

Just last night I was sipping the almost-end of a single cask red wine finished bottle I got from the distillery. Delicious it was. all manner of malty sweet shop memories conjured up, from wine gums to tangerine sticks to icing sugar...

An OB of something like this at a rather more civilised strength of 46%(this one was great at 59.7%) would go well I reckon. Nothing quite like it.

They certainly have some unique bottlings, like the Mountain Oak which masquerades as a Bourbon, but lighter and sweeter.
Reggaeblues
Double Gold Member

Postby ashleypenney » Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:30 pm

I have tried most expressions of Glen Moray and i find them myself ok nothing to shout about but if i saw them on a good deal i would buy them

I like the Glen Moray 8 year old classic :D
ashleypenney

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder