Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

WHOA! "The Irishman Original Clan!"

General chat and talk about whisky.

WHOA! "The Irishman Original Clan!"

Postby SixCats! » Sun May 23, 2010 10:12 pm

Hi all,

"The Spirit is willing but the Flesh is weak". I admit, I am weak.
I just opened my only bottle of "The Irishman Original Clan" (aka 70) that I had "stored away" for Fall. Yea, right. I didn't even make it to the end of Spring. Be that as it may, all I can say is WHOA! "The Irishman" is some awesome tasting whiskey! Smooth, full of flavor with no burn. I will without a doubt be making a special trip from Maine to NH (about two hours round trip) and buy a couple more bottles of this wonderful (award winning) Irish Whiskey. "The Irishman" is not available here in Maine. NH pricing is only $28.00 for a 750 ml which is $15.00 less per bottle than my current favorite Redbreast. "The Irishman" could become a new favorite given it's price! I have so far tried Redbreast, Black Bush, Powers, Bushmills Original, "The Irishman" and Kellan. IMHO, Redbreast, Black Bush and "The Irishman" are something special whereas Powers and Bushmills Original are budget good. Kellan in my opinion was down right awful. However, a teaspoon of Spring water into the Kellan did make it better. Still, I would not purchase Kellan again.
Damn, this "The Irishman" is good!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Re: WHOA! "The Irishman Original Clan!"

Postby Pure Pot Head » Sun May 23, 2010 10:49 pm

I haven't tried The Irishman' but you've peaked my interest. It seems to be a combination of this 70% Single Malt and Pure Pot Still which sounds like a nice combo. The PPS comes from Midleton which is the same source as the Pot Still in your Redbreast and Powers. But I'm not sure about the Single Malt element. I'd be interested to know if that comes from Cooley or is it some of Midleton's own Single Malt?

Pots
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby SixCats! » Sun May 23, 2010 11:43 pm

Hi Pots,

Oooh, Man. Pots, you have got to try "The Irishman Original Clan"
(aka 70) as it is simply delicious. I'm not sure what this Whiskey is named in Ireland but yes, you are correct that it is indeed the Whiskey with the 70% Malt & 30% Pure Pot Still. I find it is different than Redbreast (perhaps less Sherry sweet) ? but nearly as good in it's own right. Perhaps a lil' bit...lighter, less...fat (if that makes any sense). I just now finished my first ever dram (TWO ounces) of "The Irishman" and I'll tell you what, I want to have another! However, if I drink any more, I'll pay the price tomorrow. I also enjoy Black Bush but, I find "The Irishman" much easier to drink. Smooth, flavorful and no burn whatsoever. I AM going to buy myself some more bottles when money allows. That you can be sure!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Sun May 23, 2010 11:49 pm

Hi PPH do yourself a favour and get a bottle. It is not bad at all, actually it is a fine whiskey. Obviously not as good as a Redbreast but an excellent inbetweener ... the pps comes through well and I am lead to believe that the malt content comes from the same source :wink: A bit of a strange one as the Irishman Single malt is definately from Bushmills.

The Rare Cask Strength is even better and a super whiskey but unfortunately way over priced for what is in essence a non aged stated whiskey and we don't even know if it is a pps or a blend but very very nice if money is not an issue.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby ClubSmed » Mon May 24, 2010 12:02 am

I tried the Irishman single malt not long back in the same week as a tasting of the Jameson range (including Redbreast & Gold Reserve) and I thought it was the best hands down. I believe that the single malt is from bushmills, not sure if it is the same that goes into the 70 though
ClubSmed
Gold Member

Postby Pure Pot Head » Tue May 25, 2010 10:36 pm

Perhaps a lil' bit...lighter, less...fat (if that makes any sense).

I actually checked out a bottle going through Dublin Duty Free the other day after reading this thread and pondered it. I'll definitely get around to tasting it at some point, hopefully for free! That bit about being less 'fat' rings true if there's so much Single Malt in it. If the Pure Pot Still is for the sake of argument 50% malt and 50% green barley that means overall the whiskey will only have about 15% unmalted barley so it won't quite have that creamy Midleton texture to it which I do love but perhaps Single Malt lovers aren't too concerned with. A curious combination though. I have to try!

There was a bottle of Writers Tears next to the Irishman 70 the shelf by the way. Has anyone tried that?

Incidently, on the name of the brand. My gaelic is a bit rusty these days but isn't the coreect Irish word 'Chlann?'

Pots
Pure Pot Head
Bronze Member

Postby SixCats! » Thu May 27, 2010 12:09 am

Hi Pots,

I sure hope you do get a chance to try "The Irishman" soon. I would very much value your opinion. Last night, I poured myself a "double".
I was a bit surprised to find that this evening, it taste "lighter"
(still tasty) but "lighter" than the night before. I wonder why ?
I found it less "fat". Still very smooth with a some of the creamy texture you mentioned and of course quite tasty and no burn.
Could this perhaps be due to the weather ? It was VERY hot here in Maine yesterday. Perhaps it was due to something I ate ?
I dunno. Since I am new to Whiskey drinking, perhaps my taste buds are going through changes. Mind you, I still VERY much enjoyed
"The Irishman" last night but, somehow, it tasted...different from the night before. I was expecting...moreNESS. That being said,
"The Irishman" is still a lovely tasting dram that I would repeat buy for certain. Ooh, regarding the spelling on the label, it reads :
THE IRISHMAN (Heading). Underneath it reads : ORIGINAL CLAN.
I suspect the spelling is written for the American market and is different in Ireland. Oooh, tonight, Tito's Vodka and O.J. I need a bit of a change!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby jimidrammer » Sat May 29, 2010 3:21 pm

I was less impressed with "The Irishman". It may be 70% malt, but it is very young and rough around the edges to me. It does round out with a splash, but seems like a Power's or Bushmill's Original clone at a 50% premium, more marketing than anything.
jimidrammer
Gold Member

Postby SixCats! » Sat May 29, 2010 7:16 pm

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear you didn't care for "The Irishman". I would agree that it is perhaps young but, I sure don't get the "rough around the edges" thing.

Regards,
Tom aka SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby SixCats! » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:35 am

Arrrrrrrr, Bummer! As of the first of June, The State of New Hampshire Liquor Stores raised their price on "The Irishman Original Clan" Irish Whiskey by FIVE dollars a bottle! Damn! I thought it a good deal at $28.00 a bottle. However, now priced at $33.00 a bottle, me thinks I'll pass and buy either BLACK BUSH or JAMESON 12 at two dollars LESS per bottle than "The Irishman" at $31.00 a 750ml. Heck, even
TULLAMORE DEW 12 is $31.00 a 750ml. Might be worth a try.

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby irishwhiskeychaser » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:24 pm

Pure Pot Head wrote:There was a bottle of Writers Tears next to the Irishman 70 the shelf by the way. Has anyone tried that?

Incidently, on the name of the brand. My gaelic is a bit rusty these days but isn't the coreect Irish word 'Chlann?'

Pots

The Writers Tears is better again (imo) ... much bigger PPS influence and is on the buttery side. Don't know what the price difference is between these but both are good for different reasons.
irishwhiskeychaser
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby SixCats! » Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:34 am

Darn it! I wish I could get "Writers Tears" here in the U.S.
I may have to have a bottle shipped from Ireland sometime in the future.
I guess for the time being, it's gonna be Redbreast, The Irishman, Jameson 12, Black Bush and Powers. Hey, that's not too shabby!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Postby SixCats! » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am

Hi all,

Ah ha! This week, the price of "The Irishman Original Clan" came back down in price to $27.99 a 750ml (in NH). I made the trip from Maine and bought myself TWO bottles! Yea!

Regards,
SixCats!
SixCats!

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder