Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Whisky recommendation for Celtic FC friendly

General chat and talk about whisky.

Whisky recommendation for Celtic FC friendly

Postby rthomson » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:27 am

Trying not to inflame any Celtic-Rangers rivalry, if that's possible, I'm looking for suggestions for a celebratory dram to note the Celtic FC friendly with Seattle Sounders FC. Sounders FC are struggling this year so I'm not hopeful for the home crowd. They'll be here mid-July, after the World Cup. Is there a dram that Celtic fans partake of? Am I opening a can of worms by asking that question? Anyway, Seattle has gone football/soccer crazy over the past couple of years and with roots in Glasgow via my father I'm eager for a little celebrating. Should I choose based on geographic locale of the distillery or decide by other factors altogether?

Cheers,
Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Re: Whisky recommendation for Celtic FC friendly

Postby Scottie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:34 pm

Certainly nothing with "Royal" in the title, e.g. Royal Salute, Royal Brackla, Royal Lochnagar.
Celtic fans are know for their consumption of a beverage named "Buckfast", more commonly known as "Buckie" despite having no connection with the North East of Scotland fishing port of the same name.
However, this beverage has no similarity to whisky whatsoever and is drunk purely for effect.
"Old Inverness" may be partaken by the older generation of Celtic supporters and is seen as quite a sophisticated whisky by those of that persuasion.
Scottie

Postby rthomson » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:34 pm

Scottie,

I have no personal experience with Buckfast but, coincidentally, first heard about it last week as I was reading a Craig Ferguson book. Think I'll stay away from that one.

We don't have Old Inverness here so I won't be able to go for that bit of authenticity. I'll likely have a few pints of a local IPA at the match and then partake of a few drams after; perhaps the combination will have the same results as Buckie but I don't intend to do a comparison. I'll stay away from anything "Royal".

Thanks for the tips-

Cheers,

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Postby Scottie » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:28 pm

Hi

On a more serious note, I think its fair to say that the average Scotsman doesn't do our national drink justice and many have a preference for white spirits or lagers/beers, although this forum does a tremendous job trying to persuade us that once sampled there is a whole new world of discovery out there awaiting the whisky drinker.
I believe that Macallan and Glenmorangie would be two of the most popular malt whiskies consumed by Scots, whether they be from the blue or the green side of the divide.
Why not just experiment and see what your taste buds tell you.
Most of all, enjoy.

Scottie (President, USA Soccer Team Supporters Club - Scottish Branch)
Scottie

Postby rthomson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:31 am

I read a poll today that revealed that the majority of us Americans believe the USA team will win the World Cup - what a surprise :roll:

Let's start with seeing how they do Saturday morning (well, morning on the U.S. west coast that is) against England.

Ron
rthomson
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder