Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

The cost of SMS in New Zealand

General chat and talk about whisky.

The cost of SMS in New Zealand

Postby pmcd » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:54 am

Having recently moved to NZ, I have to admit I am more than a little taken aback at the seemingly high price of single malt here.

I appreciate that it's 1/2 way round the world, but typically it seems that everything is at least 25% more expensive than it is in the UK!

The strange thing is that blends like Ballantine's Finest can be picked up at pretty much the same price in comparison. Any Kiwi members know what the reason for this is?
pmcd

Re: The cost of SMS in New Zealand

Postby matthew2512 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:31 am

I agree, NZ is quite expensive for whisky but we do have a great selection to choose from considering we are such a small country on the other side of the world. I recommend the whisky shop in auckland, they are a little pricey but they are very generous with samples. I also buy a bit from http://www.meenans.co.nz, the website is terrible but the prices are very good and shipping is only $4 from Dunedin to Auckland.
matthew2512
Silver Member

Postby Wave » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:45 pm

Check out Whisky Galore in Christchurch, a great selection and the prices (at least in my opinion) weren't all that bad.

http://www.whiskygalore.co.nz/

Cheers!
Wave
Double Gold Member

Postby pmcd » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:49 pm

Thanks for the insight matthew2512. I agree that The Whisky Shop has a great selection, but I really do just baulk at some of the prices. Typical stingy Scot! ;)

Wave - it seems that Whisky Galore is definitely the most fairly priced, I'll look them up!
pmcd

Postby pmcd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:45 pm

This new (online only) outfit have opened up recently, operating out of New Plymouth:

http://www.whiskyandmore.co.nz/

The range is fairly standard, but the prices cannot be argued with; join their mailing list for extra special deals. For example, the other day they had a litre of Johnny Walker Green Label for $69.99 and the Bowmore 17 for $109.99.
pmcd

Postby matthew2512 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:39 pm

I have been watching whisky and more for a little while and just got my first bottle from them this week. Dalwhinnie 15 for $65, including courier. Took about 24 hours for delivery. Great deal!
matthew2512
Silver Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder