Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Balblair Info Request

General chat and talk about whisky.

Balblair Info Request

Postby Denny Kopp » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 am

Hello there.
Looking for more information about Balblair.
Is it the "best kept secret distillery" or just hard to find out about.
A year ago, one of our whisky club members made the big pilgrimage to Scotland.
With gathered funds of a few of our members, he was instructed to bring back...
"Not something that we'll never have here in the US. Grab us something that the average Joe would keep around".
With that, he comes back with a Balblair '97 and '89.
A great score from what we could tell...we only opend the '97 and quickly killed it I am sorry to say.
The '89 is still around unharmed and we have recently got our paws on another of the '97....just in time as it appears to be endangered.
So, my question is...
Does Balblair distill for blenders?
I am looking for a 3rd bottle to add to our Balblair Feature tasting night.
Could anyone tell us more about Balblair's products. From a Collector standpoint?
Thanks for any input.
A bunch of Yankees thank you in advance for enlightening our accidental discovery of what we hope is a distillery to watch out for!
Cheers!
Denny Kopp

Re: Balblair Info Request

Postby corbuso » Tue Sep 21, 2010 8:42 am

Hi Denny,
Some of the balblair whiskies goes for the inverhouse blends and probably a few others.
Balblair is not so much collectable, but whiskies distilled in the 1960s and 1970s had a very reputation. The old stocks are almost gone and very few are bottled.

corbuso
www.whisky-news.com
corbuso
Gold Member

Postby The Dazzler » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:00 am

Hi Denny Kopp,

what country are you in? If you struggle to find Balblair there can you have it shipped? Balblair have recently followed up the vintage series with a 2000 vintage, there is also a 1975 and a 1965 in the same designed bottle as the 1997 and the 1989, the current 1989 is a second release bottled 2010, the original one being bottled in 2007. The 1965 is likely to be quite scarce now and was quite a high price, £1200 or so. My favourite Balblair of all time was a 1966 vintage aged 38years, this one was bottled in their old style bottle and in a really nice presentation case, it was a bargain at under £200 compared to the price of the 1965, though unfortuantely these will be difficult to find now.

Slainte
The Dazzler
Bronze Member

Postby Ganga » Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:48 pm

Yanks implies US although the only ones I tend to find referring to themselves as Yanks are from the northeast of the US.

Balblair 1997 and 1991 came to the US late last spring. You should be able to find some of each around. Also, if you check some of the small, dusty mom & pop shops you may be able to add in the Balblair 10 and 16 which the vintage series is replacing. As far as I know, you will really struggle to find the other vintages that our European friends are referring to.

There are also independent bottlers that have done several Balblairs.

If you are in an area where malt availability is limited check for internet stores like Binny's.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby Denny Kopp » Wed Sep 22, 2010 2:54 am

Thanks to you all for the replies.
Yankees was a reference to the USA only...we are in OHIO...great lakes region.
One of the most difficult states to deal with due to gov. liquor control. :twisted:
Wow! Only 5% of Balblair goes into their single malts!!!
Looks like some blends that I do not want consume the other 95%.
Thanks for the info Collector57....had to open in new link btw.
I can vouch for the 97 as being very nice and looking forward to the 89.
Am I correct that I read the 89 has been bottled twice???
If so, we have the newer one, I think, as we snagged it up last year this time.
We also, may or may not, have the 10yr coming our way, but this is from a fella that claims to have found one somewhere and is not confirmed.
No matter what, the next months featured tasting of Balblair will be interesting as an odd collection to sample.
From what I have had, I hope the owners of the distillery start investing in warehouses and barrels!!! :thumbsup:
Denny Kopp

Postby Lucas » Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:35 pm

With regard to the different editions, you are right, vintage 1989 has now been released for the second time, it's a 2010 bottling so we're talking amazing 20-21yo single malt for just inside £50 in the UK. :shock:

The 2000 vintage is a replacement for 1997 but it is a bit different actually. I find it fresher and sweeter, this lemon tart quality known from both releases of 1997 plays a much more prominent part in this expression IMHO.

With regard to sourcing the whisky, all of the vintages from the current portfolio should be available to order on special order through the liquor board in Ohio. If not, you should get in touch with Sam Santos who is field marketing manager for IBHL USA (the importers).

Hope that helps.
Lucas

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder