Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Starting a career in Distillery Management/in the industry

General chat and talk about whisky.

Re: Starting a career in Distillery Management/in the indust

Postby brummage » Mon Oct 04, 2010 3:23 pm

Having just returned from holiday in Scotland and having visited a couple of distilleries, the overriding picture I got was that generally people stay in their positions for a very long time or until retirement in the industry. I would therefore imagine that positions come up rarely. Good luck with your quest though.
brummage

Re: Starting a career in Distillery Management/in the indust

Postby Willie JJ » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:03 pm

brummage wrote:Having just returned from holiday in Scotland and having visited a couple of distilleries, the overriding picture I got was that generally people stay in their positions for a very long time or until retirement in the industry. I would therefore imagine that positions come up rarely. Good luck with your quest though.

That's not quite right. There is a significant amount of rotation in distillery management and there are almost 100 distilleries so positions do come up fairly regularly, although they are sought after.

Jonny McM wrote:from what I understand you need a technical, chemical or brewing and distilling degree to get a job in Whisky production... but what about the sales side or management side? How do you get a position as trainee distillery manager?

You seem to be under the impression that distillery management is a non-technical role. That is not accurate. In modern whisky production it is the chemists that are getting the management roles. You should be ok in sales though.
Willie JJ
Cask Strength Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder