Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

A storm on its way from Islay

General chat and talk about whisky.

A storm on its way from Islay

Postby robbi@laurenson.com » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:04 am

Here in South Africa we don't get access to the range available in the UK, so a chunk of bonus money went to ordering a dozen or so bottles from across the pond. I thought I'd post my rationale and the whiskies themselves for others making a similar decision.

1/2 the whisky is to keep for later (think 15 years or so) and half to drink now. None are for sale - I want to build a store of good whiskies which I can select from over the years. I focussed on whiskies which are in a style I know I like and which are getting very good ratings by the critics and by forum members of various online forums. A bonus is if there's something unique or special about the whisky, but I specifically avoided 'elite' whiskies at silly price points like the Manager's Choice series.

On to the whiskies:

Ardbeg Uigeadail (2), Ardbeg Airigh Nam Beist(1), The Classic Islay Collection 2006 and 2007 (1 each, I have 2 of the 2005 release so one of those will be freed up to drink), Lagavulin 12 CS 2009 (3 - love this one), Laphroaig 10 CS Batch #001 (2) and Port Charlotte PC8 (2).

These will complement my staples which are available locally, Ardbeg 10, Caol Ila CS, Balvenie 12 year old Double Wood, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig Quarter Cask and 10.

I can't wait for the storm to make land :).
robbi@laurenson.com

Re: A storm on its way from Islay

Postby DavidUK » Tue Oct 05, 2010 11:47 pm

Just as a matter of interest, is whisky expensive in South Africa?
DavidUK

Re: A storm on its way from Islay

Postby robbi@laurenson.com » Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:57 am

Yes it is relatively expensive, especially as the price goes up. I can order 6 Caol Ila 12 from the UK and come out the same as a discount warehouse here. I could order 4 Laga 16 or 2 Auchentoshan 21 and come out even as well.
robbi@laurenson.com

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder