Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

Canadians-Where do you buy your Whisky?

General chat and talk about whisky.

Canadians-Where do you buy your Whisky?

Postby cfind » Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:26 pm

I'm green with envy reading all these posts from European members who have access to so many different varieties of whiskys, and at such great prices too! I hope one day to make it to Scotland and bathe in all it's distilled glory.

But until then, I'm just wondering where the Canadian members get there bottles and what kind of selection your stores carry.
cfind

Re: Canadians-Where do you buy your Whisky?

Postby Yello to Mello » Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:20 am

Hello cfind and welcome to the forums!

(It appears my account is new too but I have really have been here for almost 3 years)

I seen what bottles you have that you showed in the other thread, and I must say that you have some bottles I would kill to have (I live in the GTA, Richmond Hill) I which they didnt cancel the Yamazaki 18 release a few months ago, I was looking forward to that.

LCBO has a good selection but not a great selection.

I buy my whisky mainly from the LCBO and also duty free and try for other provinces well.

You need to understand that we will never have the selection of scotch that the UK has. We also wont get the selection of bourbon that Kentucky has.

Us Canadians on the forums always find ways to get reasonable prices for our bottles.

You cant take Canadian whisky for granted either. At one time they just pumped it out for people to mix with soda but now they are going in a better direction. There are some people on these forums that wish they had a place to buy Forty Creek for a better price or at all.

I see all the releases our friends across the pond have access to but I dont take what I can get for granted.
Yello to Mello

Postby Yello to Mello » Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:06 am

Oh yeah, here is my inventory, mostly copied and pasted from another site:

Closed

Dalmore 12
Lagavulin 16
Bowmore 12
Bowmore 15 Darkest
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban
Jura Superstition
Springbank 10
Redbreast 12
Redbreast 15
Nikka Yoichi 10
Nikka Taketsuru 12
Eagle Rare 10

Open

Aberlour A'bunadh Batch 23
Ardbeg 10
Balvenie 15 Single Barrel
Teacker's Highland Cream
Forty Creek Barrel Select
Forty Creek Confederation Reserve
Yello to Mello

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:03 am

I'm luckier than Y2M as I not only get to access the Ontario LCBO in two locations, I also get a crack at the Manitoba MLCC when I go to Winnipeg on the odd weekend. I have to do a audit but roughly figure the Lair collection is over the 180 mark.

Not too bad for a boy that lives a bit north of Richmond Hill, sorta on Yonge Street - the longest street in the world - aka the Trans Canada Highway. :D
Musky
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby Yello to Mello » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 am

Hi Peter!

Yes, I live just off of Yonge street. :D farthest Ive been on that highway is Hearst.

For Canada as a whole, I find the maritime provinces are the best as far as prices are concerned.
Yello to Mello

Postby Swedish Chef » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:39 pm

Welcome aboard cfind!

Not everyone across the pond has so sweet. In Sweden we have our own version of the LCBX (I guess it's an acronym for Liquor Control Board plus the state name?). They do carry ~700 different whiskies but the prices are far from that in the UK.

Just for fun I compared Yellow's (what the heck happened to your account, I remember you from when I first joined?) list to what's available here.

We can get all but the Forty Creeks, the Quinta Ruban and the Aboo 23.

For a price comparison the Eagle Rare is 101CAD here
Teacher's is 38CAD
Nikka Taketsuru 12 - 92CAD
Springbank 10 - 72.5
Lagavulin 16 - 85
Eagle Rare - 62
Swedish Chef
Double Gold Member

Postby The Third Dram » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:42 pm

Good to have you here, cfind. :thumbsup:

Like many of the other Canadians here, my purchases are primarily funneled toward my regional (provincial) liquor board, which, in my case, is the Societe des Alcools de Quebec (or SAQ). I also peruse the Liquor Control Board of Ontario listings quite regularly, and buy there when something not available locally strikes my fancy (and when I'm able to). Trips south of the border to the U.S.A. inevitably also include liquor purchases. And I did manage to bring back some nice items from Scotland last year, too.

Though I'm somewhat envious of the sheer variety of whiskies (especially Scotches) that can be had in Scotland/England, I must say that the SAQ and LCBO carry a fair number of really good spirits... These organizations represent, after all, two of the world's largest liquor and wine importers in the world - no insignificant fact given Canada's relatively small population base and potential market.

The SAQ does a good job of bringing rarer issues to its shelves (witness past and recent listings for the Highland Park Earl Magnus, 1968 Highland Park, 40 Year Old Bowmore, 30 Year Old Brora, etc.). I only wish it would broaden its selection of whiskies from independent bottlers.
The Third Dram
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder