Not a member? - Register and login now.
All registered users can read our entire magazine archive.

More Islay recommendations!

General chat and talk about whisky.

More Islay recommendations!

Postby slaine » Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:50 pm

That is, requests for recommendations :D

I'm 33, living in the Midlands, UK, and am growing to love strong and smokey islays so far. A friend introduced me to whiskies about 8 years ago, with a selection he had from the different regions. I then really didn't get into it very much, but on a holidy to France last year, a local supermarket had a fantastic deal on whiskies, so I came back with 6 bottles: Talisker, Aberlour, Oban, Card-Hu, Balvenie Doublewood 12 & can't remember the other 1 at the moment

The one that really struck me was the Talisker; the smoke and medicine taste of it (is the medicinal taste, the iodine aroma that I've seen mentioned?)

I didn't really get on with the others, and as such, I've come to find myself buying Islay whiskies. The ones I've tried and loved are Ardbeg 10, Laphroaig 10 & QC, Lagavulin 16 (Fantastic!), Jura (10 and superstition), Highland Park 12 (thanks to my partners Dad, who loves it), Bruichladdich Waves, Peat and Rocks

I'm now looking for recommendations to help expand my horizons. After buying some Islay malts I wasn't overly keen on (Bowmore Legend (which I've just noticed, doesn't have a yo on it), and Tobermorey. Ledaig is nice, though not smokey at all, almost caramely, certainly sweet).

Incidentally, I bought a couple of bottles of Laphroaig Cairdeas 2010 this year, and whilst nice, I'm finding it almost too sweet for me (almost, anyway).

I'm looking to spend a bit of money and get some nice variations on my fave whiskies, certainly some lagavulin 12, for instance, and would welcome any recommendations from other forum members on ones i should perhaps keep an eye out for :D

I'll stop there, before this post becomes too epic!

Thanks in advance
slaine

Re: More Islay recommendations!

Postby lockejn » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:33 pm

Not from Islay, but I couldn't recommend Longrow highly enough (CV is a nice start). Also, the BenRiach peated expressions are quite good I think.
lockejn
Triple Gold Member

Postby Ganga » Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:40 pm

You could move up a little on the Ardbegs: Beist, Uigeadail. Also, Caol Ila should be of interest. I'd go with the cask strength version.
Ganga
Matured cask

Postby dramtastic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 11:53 am

Longrow CV and Caol Ila Cask Strength are the bomb IMO
dramtastic
Cask Strength Gold Member

Postby matteo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 4:27 pm

You can also try Springbank 10yo OB, not too peated but smoked indeed, salted cork (the wood). Quite drinkable and the salted finish too fresh.

The Springbank 10 CS is even more sea-style
matteo

Postby bredman » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 am

Ardbeg Uigeadail
Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Supernova SN2010
Ardbeg ANB
Ardbeg Rollercoaster ( before the prices start to rise )
Ardbeg Still Young
Caol Ila Natural Cask Strength
Lagavulin 12
Laphroaig 10 Cask Strength
Port Charlotte Multi-Vintage "An Turas Mor"
Tesco 10 and Sainsbury 12 Islay good for the money but not up there with these others

Longrow 100 Proof
Longrow CV

If you want to spend some money get this lot for your own xmas stocking. It would be a fine christmas. :D

Oh yeah, keep your eye open for the Connemara Turf Mor, it's out any day now.
bredman
Double Gold Member

Postby MacDeffe » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:10 am

Well, it happens that fans of the peaty whiskies gets dissapointed when the get their wallet out for the more expensive Islay's

What they loved about their favorite malts there's suddenly a lot less of!

As peat in a malt diminishes with age

You get a lot in exchange, for a lot of us it's worth it, but occasionally I've met people who got dissapointed

So if you are after more peat go for

Supernova
Rollercoaster
Ballechin (Edradour)
Port Charlotte

Here are my favourites, It's not neceseraly more peaty than what you are used to, but you get plenty of complexity and finesse in return :

Lagavulin 12
Benriach Authenticus
Uigedail
Port Ellen
Brora

The last two being from distilleries closed in 1983 and will be expensive. It's very good whisky. Brora isn't that peaty unless it's distillied early-mid 70's

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby Muskrat Portage » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:36 am

I would like to confirm that any PE you can find or Brora would be expensive but worthy bottles to acquire, before they are all gone. Steffen gives very good advice. I also really enjoy Lappy and Laggy when I want something to make me stand up and take notice.
I would recommend you find a purveyor that offers tastings and try some of the Islays before you shell out for a whole bottle.
Muskrat Portage
Muskrat Portage
Triple Gold Member

Postby slaine » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:00 pm

Thank you all muchly for a great selection of recommendations.

It seems that Longrow CV is one to look out for, as is the Caol Ila (including the Port Askaig bottling, also the Cask Strengh which sounds right up my street - big and peaty!).

SUpernova sounds good - I'd not heard of it before seeing it mentioned here, and then saw a bottle in my local speciality shop. Around the £100 mark (give or take £20, can't recall), so perhaps for a new year treat.

I popped into my local shop over the weekend, enquired about tastings and apparently I missed an Islay special evening only a month ago. Gutted! I've asked them keep me informed of any other nights though, and were good enough to share a dram of Waves and Peat from Bruichladdich. Only tried the Waves before, and found them both nice, although definitely leaning towards the Peat.

Definitely want an Uigedail, as I love Ardbeg 10, and want another bottle of Lagavulin 16, maybe even the 12 as well.

Interesting about the peatyness diminshing with age, MacDeffe, I am learning every day!

I shall be paying a visit to Whisky Exchange in the near future, and will be sure to feedback how I get on.

Thanks again all, much appreciated!
slaine

Postby MacDeffe » Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:40 am

Aaaaah, If you are going to TWE please check out the "Elements of islay" range

I tried them recently and really liked them. Especially the Ar2 and Lg1

Steffen
MacDeffe
Bronze Member

Postby slaine » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:58 pm

Good to have your feedback Steffen! I have noticed them in my browsing, and only just worked that the codes on them represent the distillery the other day - I like the sound of the LG ones, as I love the Lagavulin 16 I've tried before.

Have you any particular recommendations from that range? I'm guessing they're all going to be good Islay numbers.

Thanks!
slaine

Postby Spirit of Islay » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:08 pm

I can personally Recommend the Ar2 , Lg1 , Pe2 and Lg2...... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Spirit of Islay
Triple Gold Member

Return to Whisky Chat

Whisky gift and present finder